2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You certainly don’t draft players and expect them to perform on their first couple of seasons unless they are mature agers.

I agree - but you do expect consistency to improve as well as performance.

I think Cerra will improve this year. He hasn't shown a heap so far though. Which in the context of people locking him into the B22 is where the discussion is.

Look, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, big no to Duman. He's good and coming along nicely but he's not best 22.

Edit: he's not even best 22 with all those injuries you've accounted for.

He's pretty tall and should be getting a bit stronger so I think it's a good call with AP out , unless they send Cox back. I thought he improved the defensive side of his game last year but went backwards a bit with his decision making so if he can arrest the trend there he's well and truly in the 20 - 28 bracket of players in the mix each week

* I take my buddy duties seriously

** you have been warned

He's pretty tall and should be getting a bit stronger so I think it's a good call with AP out , unless they send Cox back. I thought he improved the defensive side of his game last year but went backwards a bit with his decision making so if he can arrest the trend there he's well and truly in the 20 - 28 bracket of players in the mix each week

* I take my buddy duties seriously

** you have been warned
Don't disagree that he's not too far away and that he is building but he's just not there yet. Training watchers had been noting Cox performing well down back, I think Cox is more likely to swing back and Acres come in to provide some grunt and run through the midfield

I agree - but you do expect consistency to improve as well as performance.

I think Cerra will improve this year. He hasn't shown a heap so far though. Which in the context of people locking him into the B22 is where the discussion is.
But who do you have ahead of him in the best 22?

Scham suggested Blakely was ahead of him, can't get on board with that, I think our best 22 has room for them both.

In a rebuilding side you generally give the kids a game, I like that he's been given a crack and I hope they keep on giving him a crack because as you say, the improvement will come.

If no improvement comes, yes, he should be pushed out but at the moment I don't see too many ahead of Cerra

I'm predicting a better 2020 from Cerra based on two points;

1. His contract is up at the end of 2020
2. He has the tools, just seemed down on confidence in 2019 (I'm thinking it was RTB)

2. He has the tools, just seemed down on confidence in 2019 (I'm thinking it was RTB)

I'm officially announcing that Cerra is contracted now until 2021.

...and he has been since he signed for 2020.

Oh dear... I never bagged Mundy. He showed a lot even off half back.

I agree he is a midfielder... never said he wasn't. Did I?

I said that he hasn't shown much yet. I also said that I hope he has a big year but so far hasn't delivered any more than lower picks than him. If he wasn't drafted at pick 5 would you disagree?

We are in a good position this year in that we have three new top ten picks coming in this year, plus Sturt and Valente from the previous draft. Pressure should be on for spots all over the ground.

Do you think Cerra has been better than a C grader so far? I am not asking about what he will be, I am asking about his proven performances. Where exactly do we disagree?
Cerra has shown more than Dow, UDL, Coffield, Clark and OBrien but less than Naughton and Stephenson and maybe Higgins (doubts that he will be a full time midfielder and easy to play in a great system).

If you did the draft today, Cerra would pick pick 5 or 6.

With Hogan news and doubts about Pearce and Wilson

Ryan - Hamling - Hughes
Young - Logue - Aish
Acres - Brayshaw - Hill
Sturt - Taberner - Tucker
Walters - Lobb - Switta

Darcy - Fyfe - Conca

Cerra - Cox - Blakely - Bewley

Ryan - Hamling - Hughes
Young - Logue - Aish
Acres - Brayshaw - Hill
Walters - Lobb - Switta

Darcy - Fyfe - Conca

That's a very inexperienced and youthful team. We'd be 5 to 1 to beat the bombers with that side.
On second thoughts, 8 to 1
That's also 4 debutantes

Last edited:

Ryan - Hamling - Hughes
Young - Logue - Aish
Acres - Brayshaw - Hill
Walters - Lobb - Switta

Darcy - Fyfe - Conca

I’d have those 4 on the bench on the field, and have most of those first gamers on the bench. Makes for bleak reading imo

But who do you have ahead of him in the best 22?

Scham suggested Blakely was ahead of him, can't get on board with that, I think our best 22 has room for them both.

In a rebuilding side you generally give the kids a game, I like that he's been given a crack and I hope they keep on giving him a crack because as you say, the improvement will come.

If no improvement comes, yes, he should be pushed out but at the moment I don't see too many ahead of Cerra
Definitely room for both, but....

The decider between Blakely and Cerra (assuming they were competing for the last Best 22 spot) comes down to where the team is at in terms of development, and even then it is tricky.

Blakely has always been a bit of a raw, blunt, but effective weapon. His development, especially at hbf has been designed to get him to play a more rounded game with a bit of vision and some semblance of a defensive capacity. He should be primed to be locked in as a best 22, multi-positional player for the rest of his career. The reality for me is that he sits just beneath that, but it won’t take much for him to step up.

Cerra carries expectations as a top draft pick and I think it is pretty shallow to expect that he has done anything to deserve to me a pure inside mid. Quite simply, the outcome of any game depends on the midfield and there have been better options there than Cerra. Whereas Blakely has been played at hbf to address flaws in his game, I have never had any doubt that Cerra is destined for a midfield role once he is ready. But until then he has been given the chance to develop at AFL level rather than WAFL, albeit mostly at hbf.

In a hypothetical last player picked in a best 22 I would go for Blakely. But there is nothing much in it. My main rationale is that I think we need to win games, and he has a few more runs on the board and greater multi position ability. Cerra has been far less convincing at hbf and is yet to impress in the midfield, despite being classier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Hughes - Hamling - Ryan
HB: Young - Logue - Aish
C: Hill - Fyfe - Acres
HF: Walters - Tabs - McCarthy
FF: Lobb - Cox - Serong
FOLL: Darcy - Brayshaw - Conca
INT: Tucker - Matera - Cerra - Sturt
EMERG: Bewley, Blakely, Switkowski, Duman.

Inj/under done: Mundy, Pearce, Wilson, Henry, Hogan.

A few spots can change following preseason form e.g Matera, Serong & Switta.
could all swap places.

Half back is obviously not as strong as possible with those out, but Logue on paper is not as good as Logue in person this season. Aish to lock down & Young just has to play along with Sturt, Serong & later Henry because we ain't winning a flag this year.

It wouldn't be a preseason without some overestimation of Blakely as a footballer. Can you really have a long career when your main claim to fame after a few years in the system is still based around the fact that at least you're better than Tom Lamb?

The more I’m thinking about it, I want to play all our young first round picks unless injured.

Young, Serong, Sturt, Logue, Brayshaw and Cerra all should get in round one.

Henry when fit should join them.

Add Darcy and our team has 8 players 1-4 years.

Yes, it’s makes us young but they are all class.

I agree but you can’t gift him a game in Rd 1 based on that.

Cerra has shown more than Dow, UDL, Coffield, Clark and OBrien but less than Naughton and Stephenson and maybe Higgins (doubts that he will be a full time midfielder and easy to play in a great system).

If you did the draft today, Cerra would pick pick 5 or 6.

No way has he shown more than Clark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back