2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Edit my best 22 assuming Acres and Aish.

B: Hughes, Hamling, Wilson

HB: Ryan, Pearce, Aish

C: Tucker, Fyfe, SHill

HF: Lobb, Hogan, Walters

F: Matera, Taberner, Switta

R: Darcy, Blakely, Brayshaw

I: Cerra, Acres, Conca, Mundy

Not liking the interchange. Need Henry and Sturt to come in fast.
Missing Logue

Looking at best 22 it's hard to fit everybody in which is a good thing The big but is that we lack A graders.

Defense - Solid all B Graders except Logue who will develop into B Grade talent
Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Aish

Midfield - Fyfe, Walters A graders, S Hill, Mundy and Tucker B graders, and Darcy who is C developing into B
S Hill Fyfe Tucker
Darcy Mundy Walters

Forwards - Hogan gets fit will be an A grader, Lobb and Brayshaw are B graders, Matera and Taberner as possible B traders and Henry as C grade
Matera Hogan Brayshaw
Lobb Taberner Henry

Bench:
Cerra - possible B , Conca B, Blakely possible B, Acres possible B

Depth is very interesting
Defense
Hughes C grade
Duiman C grade
Carter - D grade

Midfield
Giro D grade
Valenta D grade
Meek D grade
Banfield C grade
Bewley C grade
Colyer C grade

Forwards
Switkowski C grade
McCarthy C grade possible B grade.
Cox C Grade
Crowden D grade
Dixon D grade
Stuart D grade

All cake not icing.

We will be competitive but I don't see us making finals due to lack of A graders.

Looking at best 22 it's hard to fit everybody in which is a good thing The big but is that we lack A graders.

Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Aish

Midfield - Fyfe, Walters A graders, S Hill, Mundy and Tucker B graders, and Darcy who is C developing into B
S Hill Fyfe Tucker
Darcy Mundy Walters

Forwards - Hogan gets fit will be an A grader, Lobb and Brayshaw are B graders, Matera and Taberner as possible B traders and Henry as C grade
Matera Hogan Brayshaw
Lobb Taberner Henry

Bench:
Cerra - possible B , Conca B, Blakely possible B, Acres possible B

Depth is very interesting
Defense
Hughes C grade
Duiman C grade
Carter - D grade

Midfield
Giro D grade
Valenta D grade
Meek D grade
Banfield C grade
Bewley C grade
Colyer C grade

Forwards
Switkowski C grade
McCarthy C grade possible B grade.
Cox C Grade
Crowden D grade
Dixon D grade
Stuart D grade

All cake not icing.

We will be competitive but I don't see us making finals due to lack of A graders.

Would be interested to know how many A graders you thought there were in the Richmond side this year?

Using your relative scaling, I would have thought there was maybe 2 (Martin, Lynch). Even Trent Cotchin had a "poor" year, averaging less than 20 disposals for the first time in many a year.

Would be interested to know how many A graders you thought there were in the Richmond side this year?

Using your relative scaling, I would have thought there was maybe 2 (Martin, Lynch). Even Trent Cotchin had a "poor" year, averaging less than 20 disposals for the first time in many a year.
We you think about it a lot of B plus players
A graders for the Tigers
Astbury had an awesome year very underrated
Martin
Lynch

B Plus/Borderline A minus
Grimes
Houli
Riewoldt
Caddy
Lambert
Prestia
Vlastin
Rioli
Edwards
Cotchin

The rest B or B minus

Rance didn't play otherwise A grader

Their strength is no weak link and massive depth to put pressure on people to perform.

Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Aish

Ryan and Pearce are definitely A graders. Elite in their position. I think Hamling and Wilson are also more like B+ grade.

My current line of thought:

FB: Ryan Hamling Logue
HB: Wilson Pearce Aish
C: Hill Fyfe Tucker
HF: Walters Lobb Hogan
FF: Matera Tabs Henry

R: Darcy Mundy Acres

I: Cerra Brayshaw Blakely Conca

My current line of thought:

C: Hill Fyfe Tucker
HF: Walters Lobb Hogan
FF: Matera Tabs Henry

R: Darcy Mundy Acres

I: Cerra Brayshaw Blakely Conca

That is a side screaming out for some pace and skill, very very meat and potatoes lineup. Needs more sizzle.

Also, is Acres a better onballer than all of the guys on your bench?

That is a side screaming out for some pace and skill, very very meat and potatoes lineup. Needs more sizzle.

Also, is Acres a better onballer than all of the guys on your bench?
Not really sure what we can do for sizzle tbh. I put Acres there as I think it is the only position he can meaningfully contribute, I reckon he is roughly equal to the guys on the bench in that regard, but 3 of the 4 should go past him.

FB: ryan hamling logue
HB: wilson pearce hill

C: aish brayshaw acres
Foll: darcy fyfe tucker

HF: walters hogan mccarthy
FF: henry tabs matera

bench lobb, mundy, cerra, conca

notes;
# hill to the backline as their is less of a chance of his body breaking down in the backline and as the purple reign boys are fond of saying "same as in basketball if you break a zone, your out". Most teams try to hold it in their forward line and that where i want hill to slice out of.
# resisted putting tucker on the wing because his inside work is so crisp.
# mccarthy to half forward because i love his kicking and could be a real asset delivering inside fifty which is different to ross lyons philosophy of people kicking to him inside fifty.
# as i was writing that team down i had to ask myself do we only have three bad kicks in the best 22 team (fyfe, conca and tabs).
# do people think mundy loses his spot to our first round draft pick and the other guys in trouble are conca, cerra and matera.
# of the bench players I genuinely think cerra is ahead of conca and mundy for midfield time and that makes me so happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really sure what we can do for sizzle tbh. I put Acres there as I think it is the only position he can meaningfully contribute, I reckon he is roughly equal to the guys on the bench in that regard, but 3 of the 4 should go past him.

Well there's Sturt and...uh...Crowden I guess? Switta? Cox down back and Logue on a wing?

Definitely needs to be the number 1 priority in the upcoming draft, need a toey outside mid with at least one of 7/10.

Well there's Sturt and...uh...Crowden I guess? Switta? Cox down back and Logue on a wing?

Definitely needs to be the number 1 priority in the upcoming draft, need a toey outside mid with at least one of 7/10.
Unless Cox has a massive pre-season I don't see him close to best 22 in either attack or defense.

Best case scenario probably Ash or Flanders at 7 and Stephens at ten. Ash to start at half back but could move into a wing in a year or two. Flanders has pace from congestion and is my tip for who we'll take. Not an outside player as such but he could develop that too. Love what we got for Hill as I think if we'd got 6 and 7 we still could very well have picked Stephens with 7 if one of Ash or Flanders was gone. Im hoping Stephens will last to ten. Hopefully Stephen Giro seizes the day. Has the athletic ability. I know he is not a favourite on here, but so does Ethan Hughes. I wouldnt mid trading two seconds if we rated someone like Rivers at pick 15 from Gold Coast and a future third if we had already matched the bid for Henry in live trading.

Last edited:
With Aish and Acres in. I’d imagine Wilson and Hughes should be pushed onto the wing. Both fast weapons. Aish can cover in defence and Acres adds flexibilty.
I’m hoping we upgrade Wilson, Hughes, Cerra, S. Hill across the wing to cover Langdon and Hill

With Aish and Acres in. I’d imagine Wilson and Hughes should be pushed onto the wing. Both fast weapons. Aish can cover in defence and Acres adds flexibilty.
I’m hoping we upgrade Wilson, Hughes, Cerra, S. Hill across the wing to cover Langdon and Hill

Worried about pushing Wilson onto the wing. He's a pretty critical part of the defense if I recall. Hughes has been a good servant in defense beyond the occasional brain-fade.

Interview with Acres suggests we'll use him on one wing. I imagine Aish will either come into the defense or take the other wing.

My thoughts on the best 22 with the new additions:

C: Hill Fyfe Acres
HF: Brayshaw Hogan Switowski
FF: Matera Taberner Lobb

R: Darcy Walters Tucker

Int: Mundy Blakely Cerra Conca

FB: G.Logue/J.Hamling/L.Ryan
HB: N.Wilson/A.Pearce/J.Aish

C: D.Tucker/A.Brayshaw/B.Acres

HF: L.Henry/M.Taberner/M.Walters
FF: B.Matera/R.Lobb/J.Hogan

RR: S.Darcy/N.Fyfe/R.Conca

INT: D.Mundy/A.Cerra/E.Hughes/C.Blakely

EMG: B.Cox/S.Sturt/S.Switkowski/S.Hill

Think under Longy that Switto might fall out the 22. Tucker should return inside at some point if we grab Stephens or just from general improvement of Bewley. Robertson can be B22 if he gets drafted by us as well imo

Reckon we get Menadue as a DFA as well for depth with other notable depth players being McCarthy, Colyer, Valente, Meek, Carter, Banfield, Duman and Crowden

FB: Hughes - Hamling - Ryan
HB: Aish - Pearce - Wilson
R: Darcy - Fyfe - Brayshaw
C: Acres - Tucker - Hill
HF: Henry - Mundy - Walters
FF: Switkowski - Lobb - Taberner
IC: Cerra - Sturt - Blakely - Conca

Updating from before:

B: Hughes, Hamling, Wilson

HB: Ryan, Pearce, Conca

C: Blacres, Fyfe, Aish

HF: S. Hill, Hogan, Walters

F: Matera, Taberner, Switta

R: Darcy, Mundy, Brayshaw

I: Cerra, Tucker, Duman, McCarthy

Crowden, Logue and Banfield unlucky. Maybe Lobb for McCarthy, but I feel like he's more of a Taberner or Darcy replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back