2020 best 22 discussion

Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I guess after reading everyone's above dream teams...the question I have is who will get squeezed out to fit in new recruits after a few rounds. I feel Sturt should take Switas spot. Henry may pressure Tucker...although I rate Tucker. Assuming Stevens finds his way here...Blakley might sweat a bit although not like for like posi wise. The guys we draft this year will want to play early. Who makes way?

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
(Pipe) Dream draft and side for 2020 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Young/Ash/Gould/Sharp
Hill Mundy Aish
Walters Lobb Hogan
Henry Taberner Sturt

Darcy Fyfe Acres

Stephens Brayshaw Cerra Tucker

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Ryan Hamling Logue
Hill Mundy Aish
Walters Lobb Hogan
Henry Taberner Sturt

Darcy Fyfe Acres

Not going to be our round 1 side but I am liking this. Immediately looks faster and more skillful than where we have come from, and has significant upside.

Also for me has the correct use of Hill and Acres. I would prefer to see Brayshaw in the starting midfield to add some zest, and either Acres or Mundy on the bench, but that is just nitpicking. I also think there is a little bit to sort out about the dynamics of the forward line, but I like it.

The biggest controversies likely to be the absence of Conca, Matera and Blakely with all likely to be round 1 starters.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

Ryan Hamling Logue
Hill Mundy Aish
Walters Lobb Hogan
Henry Taberner Sturt

Darcy Fyfe Acres

With this team I’d like Hill to half back, Brayshaw into rover & Acres onto a wing.
I know some want to see Acres as the inside mid & he can spend some time in there, but I see him as a great connector between the arcs, something we have missed.
He would be a difficult match up size wise, much like Henderson at the Hawks & I think this allows him to be a great option for the quick kick from defence.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im envisioning something like this -

FB - Ryan Hamling Logue
HB - Wilson Pearce ____
C - Hill Blakely Aish
HF - Henry Hogan Walters
FF - Lobb Tabs Matera
FOL - Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

INT - Mundy Conca Tucker Cerra Acres (One of whom will start off half-back)

Would love to see Sturt get a run, would mean one of the guys everybody's against playing half back would need to start down there though (Hill, Aish, Tucker, Cerra, Conca).

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Im envisioning something like this -

FB - Ryan Hamling Logue
HB - Wilson Pearce ____
C - Hill Blakely Aish
HF - Henry Hogan Walters
FF - Lobb Tabs Matera
FOL - Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

INT - Mundy Conca Tucker Cerra Acres (One of whom will start off half-back)

Would love to see Sturt get a run, would mean one of the guys everybody's against playing half back would need to start down there though (Hill, Aish, Tucker, Cerra, Conca).
The obvious solution to me seems to be Blakely at half back. Perhaps Duman or Hughes. But I assume you are deliberately not considering them.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
I would think that Duman cemented his spot with his performances after the bye last year.I thought he was very stable there.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
I guess after reading everyone's above dream teams...the question I have is who will get squeezed out to fit in new recruits after a few rounds. I feel Sturt should take Switas spot. Henry may pressure Tucker...although I rate Tucker. Assuming Stevens finds his way here...Blakley might sweat a bit although not like for like posi wise. The guys we draft this year will want to play early. Who makes way?
Young, Henry, Stephens and Taylor will all fit in my side :)

Wait until Thursday and we will see.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I honestly think that unless he has a monster pre-season and gets a good run in the NAB Cup then Sturt shouldn't be in the Round 1 team. Same goes for all the new talent we bring in or any young player. Show them that we already have a team established and that they're going to have to fight hard to earn their way in. This is what I'd ideally like a Round 1 side to be:

FB: Ryan, Hamling, Logue
HB: Wilson, Pearce, Aish
C: Hill, Brayshaw, Acres
HF: Walters, Hogan, Lobb
FF: Matera, Taberner, Switkowski
FOL: Darcy, Fyfe, Cerra
INT: Conca, Hughes, McCarthy, Tucker

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I honestly think that unless he has a monster pre-season and gets a good run in the NAB Cup then Sturt shouldn't be in the Round 1 team. Same goes for all the new talent we bring in or any young player. Show them that we already have a team established and that they're going to have to fight hard to earn their way in. This is what I'd ideally like a Round 1 side to be:

No Monday?

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
fu** I forgot about him my bad. Take Tucker out for him
Tucker? wtf? First you forget the guy whose name is in your username. And now this?!?!? Go have a lay down immediately!

Tucker was our 4th best mid this year, was top 10 in the B&F, was and still is our best defensive runner (sans Hill and Langdon now), can kick a goal from outside 50 and can actually hit a target inside 50.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
This us where I'm at, right now.

-Freo-
FB: Wilson Hamling Logue
HB: Hill Pearce Ryan
C: Aish Fyfe Acres
HF: Matera Taberner Switkowski
FF: Walters Hogan Lobb
FOL: Darcy Brayshaw Tucker

INT: Cerra Mundy Blakely Conca

-Peel-
FB: Hughes O'Reilly Carter
HB: Duman Watson Bewley
C: Colyer Banfield Giro
HF: Sturt McCarthy Crowden
FF: Schultz Cox Dixon
FOL: Meek North Valente

Before we get to draft picks.

I am pretty much the same except I have Darcy or Taberner out for Sturt or a midfielder and I would have Conca on the ground before Tucker. Barring injury, Top 10 picks though normally get a gurnsey in the top 22 though, so Tucker, Switkowski and Blakely are the ones that will need to perform.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Tucker? wtf? First you forget the guy whose name is in your username. And now this?!?!? Go have a lay down immediately!

Tucker was our 4th best mid this year, was top 10 in the B&F, was and still is our best defensive runner (sans Hill and Langdon now), can kick a goal from outside 50 and can actually hit a target inside 50.
Yeah I know it's disgusting. I'm just a tad tired tbh

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its early days for best 22 and to be honest always hypothetical as it rarely happens for any team but I was only able to watch training for

Its very early days in the preseason, so take this for what its worth. I got told on Friday that Ethan Hughes said to a training watcher that he'd been told he would be playing midfield and that Logue had trained more as a forward than as a defender. I only watched an hour, so take my comments with a grain of salt at the moment, but it will be interesting to see. We are also reportedly interested in using a late pick on a mature age South freo tall backman who can play on small and talls in Chad Pearson. Id be surprised if at least a few players werent at least tried in different positions with a new coach. Logue could potentially be the ultimate utility playing all over the field.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Id be surprised if at least a few players werent at least tried in different positions with a new coach.
Yes, it is all part of the shake up that comes with a change of coach. Good to give players who are still establishing themselves an opportunity show a different facet of their game.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The obvious solution to me seems to be Blakely at half back. Perhaps Duman or Hughes. But I assume you are deliberately not considering them.
I actually really rate both of them, particularly Hughes - just think they're behind the 22 i had in. Blakely's not that good defensively and his real strengths get taken away when played behind the ball. No doubt he can play there, but I just don't see it as his best position.
The main point to me is that although we've got a lot of guys who CAN go play half back, for most of them its because they're not quite good enough to break into the side in their preferred position.
We seem to lack a 6th genuine defender - maybe Hughes is that guy, I don't really think Duman is just yet (has a bit of defensive learning to do still).

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I actually really rate both of them, particularly Hughes - just think they're behind the 22 i had in. Blakely's not that good defensively and his real strengths get taken away when played behind the ball. No doubt he can play there, but I just don't see it as his best position.
The main point to me is that although we've got a lot of guys who CAN go play half back, for most of them its because they're not quite good enough to break into the side in their preferred position.
We seem to lack a 6th genuine defender - maybe Hughes is that guy, I don't really think Duman is just yet (has a bit of defensive learning to do still).
hmmmm, not quite following here...

If you rate Hughes then I think he is a fine option for the empty HBF position you have.

Happy to read sherriff's report that he is being considered for the midfield, but I am not reading that as dissatisfaction with him as a defender. I more see it as an indication that he is rated higher, with midfield being the more impactful position.

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
hmmmm, not quite following here...

If you rate Hughes then I think he is a fine option for the empty HBF position you have.

Happy to read sherriff's report that he is being considered for the midfield, but I am not reading that as dissatisfaction with him as a defender. I more see it as an indication that he is rated higher, with midfield being the more impactful position.
What i mean is I think he's fine to play that role. But I think the 22 above him deserve the spot slightly more. Unfortunately a lot of them are midfielders and the tendency will probably be to throw one of them (Who has played half-back quite a bit) back there.
Whilst hughes is decent enough at half back, he's still inconsistent and has some major deficiencies in his game. Hughes can definitely fill the available spot, but my post has 5 interchange players and says one of them will play half back - therefore its not empty, but more an observation that somebody is going to be thrown back there that this board won't be pleased with.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Still would like a bit more pace in the forward line. Hopefully we can sign Taylor, plus Sharp.

-Freo-
FB: Wilson Hamling Logue
HB: Young Pearce Ryan
C: Aish Fyfe Hill
HF: Matera Taberner Henry
FF: Walters Hogan Lobb
FOL: Darcy Brayshaw Tucker

INT: Cerra Mundy Serong Conca

-Peel-
FB: Hughes O'Reilly Carter
HB: Duman Watson Bewley
C: Colyer Banfield Giro