2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think you can make the leap that Lobb being the number 1 ruck was the catalyst for those wins, he was also part of some bad losses as the number 1 ruck. IMO he just isn't good enough to hold down that spot, wasn't when required at GWS and hasn't been when required by us. He is however probably the best forward/ruck in the game and we should be playing to that strength.

Overall how good is it that we have two young up and coming rucks and a bloke who can play FF/ruck. I am a massive fan of what we have done in that position since losing Sandi (few years now).
Completely agree - ideally Lobb plays fwd/ruck. Was just demonstrating the team can still perform with Lobb in that primary ruck role. Darcy would know that and use it as motivation. I think we are perhaps a impatient with Sean, most rucks take ages to get the necessary fitness levels. I'm not sure he can be #1 for a full season just yet regardless.

I would hate if we didn't start Darcy as the No1 ruck if fit, Lobb is the perfect Forward/Ruck and IMO is a very average number 1 ruck. Enjoy the differing opinions on Darcy but I just can't see how he is left out if fit.
I don't know what the right answer is. We should try with him and without him. I think the decision to play Darcy or not also determines if McCarthy/Cox are a chance to get a game too so it will be interesting to see which way they go.

Mah god its going to be exciting heading into round 1 next year.

My best 22 is the "everyone is fully fit and good to go" best 22.

Logue - Hamling - Ryan
Wilson - Pearce - Young

I think the defense picks itself - Young will be close to the best kick in the AFL next year yet alone our team. Our backline is set for the next 8 years and I cant wait to see these guys work together. What an elite, young line-up

Aish - Fyfe - Hill
Darcy - Brayshaw - Tucker

Probably a controversial with Tucker but I really think he made some serious improvements last year and he completements AB and Fyfe nicely with his skills while still being strong in the contest. I would love Cerra to replace him here but likely doesnt have the tank to be starting as a first choice option just yet

Walters - Hogan - Mundy
Switta - Lobb - Matera

I expect to cop plenty of flak here but I just cant get behind playing 3 talls - 2 of which dont really provide 2nd efforts or much at all once the ball hits the ground. I think this forwardline is a lot more balanced. It should be McCarthy where Mundy is but what can you do. I really rate Switta as a guy with good skills and elite pressure. Ideally Switta and Matera were combined into one player (cough Henry cough) but for now I think they are each best 22

Blakely - Cerra - Acres - Conca

All 4 on the bench are multi-positional players who will rotate through the middle while having 2nd positions. Gives us a lot of options. Conca is under-rated on here, very good at being that "support" midfielder who makes the others better while providing strong defensive accountability.

I do think this side is probably lacking some more pace so there is definitely room for change. Importantly, the foot skills of this team are pretty damn good across the board I feel - especially the 18 on the filed (Blakely, Acres and Conca leave a bit to be desired). This team is young, this team has elite talent across the board. The midfield is a year or two away from hititng its straps but damn this team is exciting.

First cabs off the rank that should be pushing for best 22 if fit and healthy (and that I'd be happy to have in the side)

Serong, Henry, Taberner, Cox, McCarthy, Hughes, Duman, Valente, Bewly, Sturt, Meek

Guys that I think are falling further in the pecking order and are going to struggle for games when they need to be pushing for best 22 for their career. I think all these guys are going to struggle to get an extenstion past their next contract. Bold will 100% be delisted at the end of this year (I'd just bite the bullet with Colyer even if he has another year still).

Banfield, Crowden, Giro, Schultz, Colyer, Dixon, North, Watson

Guys who have plenty of time to develop and will be allowed to develop at Peel

Fredericks, Thomas, Butters, Carter, O'Reilly, Pina

Last edited:

I like your effort but I’d have Serong in front of Switta who despite looking good at times can’t hit the scoreboard & struggles to get involved enough. I think Henry should be played as soon as he’s judged ready & Sturt needs opportunity ASAP. Acres isn’t a walk up start either for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your effort but I’d have Serong in front of Switta who despite looking good at times can’t hit the scoreboard & struggles to get involved enough. I think Henry should be played as soon as he’s judged ready & Sturt needs opportunity ASAP. Acres isn’t a walk up start either for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's fair enough, I am a Switta fanboy but Serong and Henry would be very close and yes, Acres would be first out from that lot.

If I'm completely honest I can't see any of our draftees playing Round 1 next year apart from Young unless they have an extremely good pre-season. None of them are a complete need in our team right now and I see that as a good thing. I reckon Hughes & Aish on the wings will do wonders for the team and Logue being trialled in the forward line will be interesting.

FB: Ryan, Hamling, Wilson
HB: Conca, Pearce, Hill
C: Hughes, Acres, Aish
HF: Logue, Hogan, Lobb
FF: Matera, Taberner, Switkowski
FOL: Darcy, Fyfe, Walters
INT: Mundy, Cerra, Tucker, Brayshaw

If I'm completely honest I can't see any of our draftees playing Round 1 next year apart from Young unless they have an extremely good pre-season. None of them are a complete need in our team right now and I see that as a good thing. I reckon Hughes & Aish on the wings will do wonders for the team and Logue being trialled in the forward line will be interesting.

I don't understand playing Hill off half back when we've lost our 2 wingman. He's the closest thing we have to a pure winger with his running ability and brilliant kicking. Who would you rather have kicking to a leading forward, Hughes or Hill?
Young is going to be the biggest weapon we have to move the ball quickly, long & accurately from half back. Must play if judged ready.
Logue isn't a half forward.
More than anything I want to see some creativity, attack and focus on scoreboard pressure in the forward half and Henry/Serong/Sturt can all bring that.

I'm commenting as a fan who feels like he's been in the desert watching the Dockers for the last 5 years and creative, exciting football is the water I'm dying for. If I see Henry named round 1 I'm going to be more pumped for footy than I've been for years. I'm trying to keep football in a place where its entertainment and enjoyment for me, not life and death like it once was.

We all have different expectations and beliefs, its all good.

nope its too hard now... too many options and combinations... the spine and KP would pick its self but we have ALOT of young talented mid-size players to fill a limited number of spots. Valente and Sturt are two first-round picks that haven't debuted yet.
I mean how silly is that I can look at Mundy who we definitely need for the onfield leadership, he not over the hill and the game has NOT passed him yet but still is he a list clogger?
hahaha alright, preseason optimism overload!

nope its too hard now... too many options and combinations... the spine and KP would pick its self but we have ALOT of young talented mid-size players to fill a limited number of spots. Valente and Sturt are two first-round picks that haven't debuted yet.
I mean how silly is that I can look at Mundy who we definitely need for the onfield leadership, he not over the hill and the game has NOT passed him yet but still is he a list clogger?
hahaha alright, preseason optimism overload!
Valente isn't a first round pick.

I would probably cry if that was the tram for round one.

I don't think the actual make-up will be much different, and predict that Young would be the only likely debut for round 1, but there is no doubt the rest will be fast tracked and introduced at the earliest appropriate opportunity (Valente and Sturt too).

Henry and Serong a chance because Switkowski and to a lesser extent Matera need to show sustained form, including goals.

I just doubt there would be too many experiments with position as you have, and more of a likelihood to play people in their best position.

Using your best 22 as a basis, Hughes out for Young;

HB: Logue, Pearce, Young
C: Tucker, Brayshaw, Aish
HF: Walters, Hogan, Lobb
FOL: Darcy, Fyfe, Conca (any of the bench players could have been here, but went with Conca to keep Fyfe happy)
INT: Mundy, Cerra, Acres, Hill (until match fit, playing off the bench)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the actual make-up will be much different, and predict that Young would be the only likely debut for round 1, but there is no doubt the rest will be fast tracked and introduced at the earliest appropriate opportunity (Valente and Sturt too).

Henry and Serong a chance because Switkowski and to a lesser extent Matera need to show sustained form, including goals.

I just doubt there would be too many experiments with position as you have, and more of a likelihood to play people in their best position.

Using your best 22 as a basis, Hughes out for Young;

HB: Logue, Pearce, Young
C: Tucker, Brayshaw, Aish
HF: Walters, Hogan, Lobb
FOL: Darcy, Fyfe, Conca (any of the bench players could have been here, but went with Conca to keep Fyfe happy)
INT: Mundy, Cerra, Acres, Hill (until match fit, playing off the bench)

Pretty much exactly what I’d have.

I’d prefer Lobb to solo ruck and we could possibly bring in one of Sturt, McCarthy, Serong or Henry depending on what mix we’re after.

But think Darcy will be number 1 ruck and Lobb the forward ruck.

Blakely gives us decent cover for a range of positions and would probably start round 1. Just not sure who comes out.

Cox needs a big year otherwise he could find himself in trouble.

Ryan, Hamling, Wilson
Logue, Pearce, Hill
Cerra, Acres, Aish
Young, Hogan, Walters
Matera, Tabs, Lobb

Darcy, Fyfe, Brayshaw,

I/c Bewley, Mundy, Conca, Blakely

That was tough to pick, probably 10 players who I put in then deleted.

No pressure on Young but I have visions of him drilling it into the forward 50.

Ryan, Hamling, Logue
Wilson, Pearce, Hughes

Hill, Fyfe, Bewley
Darcy, Brayshaw, Walters

Henry, Hogan, Mundy
Matera, Lobb, Sturt

Conca, Tucker, Cerra, Young

really think bewley and hughes will have big years for us. question marks on acres and aish, think aish is more likely and will probably take hills place once he’s back on the injury list. walters more influential through the midfield for mine, sturt could be replaced by switta or tabs depending on his performance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ryan Pearce Logue
Wilson Hamling Young
Aish Fyfe Hill
Walters Taberner Cerra
Matera Hogan Sturt

Foll:
Lobb
Blakely
Acres

Int:
Brayshaw
Tucker
Conca
Mundy

If the list stays fit there is no reason this team doesnt play finals. I don't think the loss of Hill and Langdon will set us back given what we have brought in with Aish and Acres as well as a positional change for Hughes and also some new draftees.

I think Cerra plays his best footy as a fwd/mid, and am looking forward to Sturt coming in. Good to see the big bodied freo midfield is back with fyfe/blakely/acres.

Only about 110 days till Round 1 now...

How many of the 2,365,008,766,537,390,138,108,713,369,600,000 best 22 permutations will we see by then? (And that's excluding Cat B rookies)

Looking forward to it :)

Our depth is looking pretty good at the moment except Key backs and Rucks.

My Best 22 with depth

Defense
Hamling,Pearce and Logue
Ryan and Young
Wilson and Hill

Depth
Hughes and Duiman

Rucks
Darcy
Lobb

Depth
Zero

Forwards
Hogan, and Cox
Matera, Henry and Serong

Depth
McCarthy, Taberner, Switta, Sturt,

Midfield
Fyfe, Mundy, Walters, Acres, Aish, Cerra, Brayshaw, Conca

Depth
Blakely,Banfield, Bewley

post draft B22

FB: L.Ryan/J.Hamling/G.Logue
HB: N.Wilson/A.Pearce/H.Young

C: J.Aish/D.Mundy/D.Tucker

HF: M.Walters/M.Taberner/S.Switkowski
FF: B.Matera/R.Lobb/J.Hogan

RR: S.Darcy/N.Fyfe/A.Brayshaw

INT: B.Acres/A.Cerra/R.Conca/E.Hughes

EMG: L.Henry/C.Serong/C.Blakely/S.Hill

Ryan Hamling Logue

Wilson Pearce Young

Aish Mundy Hill

McCarthy Hogan Walters

Serong Cox Matera

Followers: Lobb, Fyfe, Brayshaw

Interchange: Cerra, Conca, Henry, Tucker,

Reserves: Switkowski, Bewley, Blakely

Logue will have to pinch hit in the ruck

Last edited:
FB: Ryan Hammer Logue
HB: Wilson Pearce Young
C: Aish Tucker Hill
HF: Walters Hogan Mundy
FF: Serong Lobb Matera
FOLL: Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

INT: Conca Blakley Cerra Acres

Probably something like that if everyone was fit.

that back 6.

I’d have Henry over Sarong at FF. but otherwise 👌

Remove this Banner Ad

Back