2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

BigRang

All Australian
Mar 11, 2011
South of the Black Stump
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jeepers you wouldn't think it was possible to have so many changes out of 30 blokes.... But yeah nah I'll have a crack too.

FB - Ryan, Hamling, Logue
HB - Wilson, Pearce, Young
C - Hill, Brayshaw, Bewley
HF- Walters, Lobb, Mundy
FF- Matera, Hogan, Tabs/Henry
R - Darcy, Fyfe, Acres
Int - Aish, Conca, Blakely, Tucker/Hughes

Most of the backline and spine picks itself.
Coupe spots debatable (Tabs/Henry, Tucker/Hughes) I would pick depending on pre-season form and/or team balance/matchups.
A fit S.Hill picks himself on a wing and quite bullish about what Bewely could produce this year with a more free flowing game plan and being allowed to run and kick and use his natural game a bit more.
Cerra misses out at this stage mainly due to last seasons form and I feel like there's others ahead of him now in his preferred positions, happy to be proven wrong.
Logue as a back pocket but after his time trial I wouldn't mind seeing him chucked on the ball everyone and again just as a bit of a secret weapon, ah la Koutifedes type of thing.
Young gets a gig due to his kicking skills and we saw with Rozee etc last year that draftees can have impact when used in the right spot.
Walters and Mundy both on flanks allowing us the best of both worlds of them both being able to get up the ground and get a few possies and also back the other way delivering the ball into F50 and kicking a few snagger rolls.
Brayshaw is a natural Centreman for mine, unfortunately so is Cerra probably and this is why he missed out....
Still not sold on Tabs but his contested marking is very good and if he's allowed to stay Close to goal where he doesn't have to think too hard and just clunk them and put it through the sticks I think he gets first crack down there before maybe Serong/Henry could come in for a bit more mobility.. That last pocket spot is probably the most up for grabs I think.
Darcy will get first chop at the 1st ruck position, he's a Ruckman, Lobb is a FWD/Ruck and more suited to being a big mobile CHF for mine.
No point explaining Fyfe as a follower.
Acres as a follower allowing him to use his athletic ability and big frame to give Fyfey a chop out and a bit of help, pretty similar players I think - big/strong/good runners etc just Fyfe is obviously the triple upgraded version. I think Acres will benefit GREATLY from being played in one position and in there learning from Mundy/Fyfe.

Oh boy wowee, probably thought about that a bit too much. Anyway that's my 10 cents, no doubt the real life coaching staff will see things a bit differently.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Love the "Tabs/Henry" option. Sums up the situation we are in with options and needs being thrown around with the draft and trade impacting.

My expectations are that Young may start almost immediately (especially with Wilson having an interrupted pre-season), and Serong the next most likely. I would also be letting Henry have some games playing against men in the wafl. With all three of them I would be hoping for as many games as possible, and expecting 10-15 to be a reasonable target. A little tricky due to us also having Valente and Sturt as potential debuts as well, with similar expectations, and 5 major changes to our side is too many.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
post draft B22

FB: L.Ryan/J.Hamling/G.Logue
HB: N.Wilson/A.Pearce/H.Young

C: J.Aish/D.Mundy/D.Tucker

HF: M.Walters/M.Taberner/S.Switkowski
FF: B.Matera/R.Lobb/J.Hogan

RR: S.Darcy/N.Fyfe/A.Brayshaw

INT: B.Acres/A.Cerra/R.Conca/E.Hughes

EMG: L.Henry/C.Serong/C.Blakely/S.Hill
Emergency, Hill?!!!!!!!!!!!!! o_O
surely he is best 22.

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are we all confident that Hill is going to be injury free and cherry ripe come round 1?

I must admit I'm managing my expectations and telling myself his best footy is behind him and he is unlikely to be a force on the field again.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
I'm commenting as a fan who feels like he's been in the desert watching the Dockers for the last 5 years and creative, exciting football is the water I'm dying for. If I see Henry named round 1 I'm going to be more pumped for footy than I've been for years. I'm trying to keep football in a place where its entertainment and enjoyment for me, not life and death like it once was.

You are preaching to the perverted, brother.

The worst possible thing Ross did to the club was suck the fun out and "prove" that it was worth it by getting to a granny. Footy hasn't been entertaining me for some time and I suspect that isn't all to do with the win-loss.

Be competitive, be exciting, be entertaining, play with natural flair. If you win, that's great. If you lose, I will still have been entertained. It's Pascal's footy wager.

Better yet - it's Fremantle footy. It's what we signed up for.

That someone has recognised what has been missing - outside runners and good kicks - and gone and got them makes me pretty keen on checking out what's going to happen.

I go to the footy to see dudes with crazy-good skills do s**t others can't. If I wanted to see ridiculously fit guys grind each other down in a war of attrition, I'll visit Connections at closing time.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
The worst possible thing Ross did to the club was suck the fun out and "prove" that it was worth it by getting to a granny. Footy hasn't been entertaining me for some time and I suspect that isn't all to do with the win-loss.
Huh. I haven't seen Ross mentioned around here for a while.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's a brave new world for Freo now. Everything changed up. People are excited. It's marvellous.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Wow - this is hard. Can’t believe that only two years ago we were having to consider Sutcliffe, Sheridan and Kersten as best 22. This is such an exciting and under the radar squad now.

Here’s my stab at a round 1 line up - assumes all players are cherry ripe.

Ryan - Hamling - Logue
Wilson - Pearce - Young

Aish - Tucker - Hill
Darcy - Fyfe - Brayshaw

Walters - Hogan - Mundy
Matera - Lobb - Tabs

Int: Cerra - Acres - Switta - Conca

Can’t believe they’re not in the 22, because I’m a fan of both: Hughes, Blakely

Hoping that they will bang the door down: Serong, Henry, Sturt, Valente, Bewley, Dixon

On the outer but good depth: Cox, McCarthy, Banfield, Duman, Crowden

If we see then we’re in trouble: Colyer, Schultz, Meek, Giro, Carter, North, Frederick (last one only because I think he’s a project)

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Logue. Hamling. Ryan

Wilson. Pearce. Young

Aish. Fyfe. S.Hill

Walters. Taberner. Cerra

Matera. Hogan. McCarthy

Lobb
Brayshaw
Blakey

Mundy Conca. Acres Henry

I hope valente Sturt Cox darcy & serong are all pushing for spots too.

Love the "Tabs/Henry" option. Sums up the situation we are in with options and needs being thrown around with the draft and trade impacting.

My expectations are that Young may start almost immediately (especially with Wilson having an interrupted pre-season), and Serong the next most likely. I would also be letting Henry have some games playing against men in the wafl. With all three of them I would be hoping for as many games as possible, and expecting 10-15 to be a reasonable target. A little tricky due to us also having Valente and Sturt as potential debuts as well, with similar expectations, and 5 major changes to our side is too many.
I agre with you on Henry. If at 60 odd kegs and with an interrupted pre-season he manages to force his way into the side for round 1 then by Fyfe will we have a player on our hands.

Think he'll need to spend at least a month in the WAFL against bigger bodies but you'd expect him to be pushing his case pretty soon. Switta and Matera arent exactly superstars

jusjoshin

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2008
Gosnells
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, East Side Hawks
I agre with you on Henry. If at 60 odd kegs and with an interrupted pre-season he manages to force his way into the side for round 1 then by Fyfe will we have a player on our hands.
Are we taking his name in vain now?

But in all seriousness, we could play Henry on a wing pretty early on. Has the nous to stay out of heavy congestion.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know its a long way out so take this with a grain of salt. But Hughes might yet be the athletic mid to play on the oppositions most athletic mid.
With that in mind:
B: Young Hamling Ryan
HB: Wilson A.Pearce Blakely (permanent back)
C: Aish Fyfe S.Hill
R: Lobb Cerra Walters
HF: Sturt Tabs Hughes##
FF: Mundy Hogan switta or matera

Brayshaw, Acres, Tucker, Logue

Hughes and Walters to swap roles in open play after bounce. Hughes in a run with role Walters to half forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jebus18

Debutant
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan - Pearce - Logue
Young - Hamling - Wilson
Aish - Fyfe - Hill
Walters - Tabs - Switta
Matera - Lobb - Hogan

Darcy - Mundy - Tucker

Brayshaw - Cerra - Conca - Acres

This is bloody tough to pick, wanted to put henry in over switta but atm i think we need the tackling pressure switta provides, was a toss up between acres and blakely but went with acres for his ability to play forward

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan - Pearce - Logue
Young - Hamling - Wilson
Aish - Fyfe - Hill
Walters - Tabs - Switta
Matera - Lobb - Hogan

Darcy - Mundy - Tucker

Brayshaw - Cerra - Conca - Acres

This is bloody tough to pick, wanted to put henry in over switta but atm i think we need the tackling pressure switta provides, was a toss up between acres and blakely but went with acres for his ability to play forward

Swap Tabs for Dardy and I have the same 22. Switta hopefully pushed out due to WAFL form of either Henry or Serong.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
McCarthy or Taberner?

Hughes or Blakely?

Henry or Serong?

These are small things that sit within the context of there being no actual best 22, especially with a new coach, an active trade period, and the recruitment of 3 top 10 draft picks to an already young, developing squad.

Over the course of the season things will get sorted.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
Wow - this is hard. Can’t believe that only two years ago we were having to consider Sutcliffe, Sheridan and Kersten as best 22. This is such an exciting and under the radar squad now.

Here’s my stab at a round 1 line up - assumes all players are cherry ripe.

Ryan - Hamling - Logue
Wilson - Pearce - Young

Aish - Tucker - Hill
Darcy - Fyfe - Brayshaw

Walters - Hogan - Mundy
Matera - Lobb - Tabs

Int: Cerra - Acres - Switta - Conca

Can’t believe they’re not in the 22, because I’m a fan of both: Hughes, Blakely

Hoping that they will bang the door down: Serong, Henry, Sturt, Valente, Bewley, Dixon

On the outer but good depth: Cox, McCarthy, Banfield, Duman, Crowden

If we see then we’re in trouble: Colyer, Schultz, Meek, Giro, Carter, North, Frederick (last one only because I think he’s a project)
Mine's not much different (from a HM dream R1 line up) except Henry for Switta (just doesn't hit the goals enough for me as a small forward)

Interesting with all the age/team lists coming out atm. In 2020:

Ryan (24) - Hamling (27) - Logue (22)
Wilson (27) - Pearce (25) - Young (19)

Aish (25) - Tucker (23) - Hill (30)
Darcy (22) - Fyfe (29) - Brayshaw (21)

Walters (29) - Hogan (25) - Mundy (493)
Matera (28) - Lobb (27) - Tabs (27)

Int: Cerra (21) - Acres (25) - Henry (19) - Conca (28)

E: Hughes (26), Blakely (24), Cox (22), McCarthy (25)

Ignoring the intricates of who has been left out, etc. or who's b'day is when throughout the year,

shows that while we have the 2nd youngest list apparently, the likely 26 or so blokes that make up the 22 come game day fit nicely in the 21-27yo age bracket with the few slightly older stars (and old man Mundy). As long as we can keep our players available, IMO really bodes well for the next few years if we can keep this group together as they gel, i.e. rebuild is complete in my eyes, coach etc. inc. Ready for the next chapter.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Mine's not much different (from a HM dream R1 line up) except Henry for Switta (just doesn't hit the goals enough for me as a small forward)

Interesting with all the age/team lists coming out atm. In 2020:

Ryan (24) - Hamling (27) - Logue (22)
Wilson (27) - Pearce (25) - Young (19)

Aish (25) - Tucker (23) - Hill (30)
Darcy (22) - Fyfe (29) - Brayshaw (21)

Walters (29) - Hogan (25) - Mundy (493)
Matera (28) - Lobb (27) - Tabs (27)

Int: Cerra (21) - Acres (25) - Henry (19) - Conca (28)

E: Hughes (26), Blakely (24), Cox (22), McCarthy (25)

Ignoring the intricates of who has been left out, etc. or who's b'day is when throughout the year,

shows that while we have the 2nd youngest list apparently, the likely 26 or so blokes that make up the 22 come game day fit nicely in the 21-27yo age bracket with the few slightly older stars (and old man Mundy). As long as we can keep our players available, IMO really bodes well for the next few years if we can keep this group together as they gel, i.e. rebuild is complete in my eyes, coach etc. inc. Ready for the next chapter.

And by the time they hit their straps in a couple of years then Fyfe will probably spend much of his time at half forward in the position we have Mundy in our R1 line up and Sarong/Valente will be running through the middle with Brayshaw, Cerra and Darcy dominating.

I get the desire for Henry over Switta. I actually think Serong is more likely to be played at HF in R1 than Henry. He’s still very lightweight and was struggling to adapt to playing against bigger players in the second half of the season. I hope I’m wrong but I think we won’t see much of Henry in 2020. A year in the wafl may be the making of him.

I’m also a Switta fan. Yes he could hit the scoreboard more, but I think his overall contribution to the team merits his inclusion in the 22.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
rebuild is complete in my eyes
Injury to a couple of key players in Hill, Hogan and Pearce pending, I think you are spot on.

Also, thought I would drop in my thoughts from back in May. Still excites me and I really think we have added some serious x-factor to our forward line over the past two drafts. I think Switta and Matera are ok, but I am beginning to see them as place holders.

What I would really like is....

..... draft in Serong and Henry and play them as electric, aggressive, smart, small forwards who one day will have the fitness to roll midfield like Walters.

Develop Sturt's fitness and prime him for an early 2020 debut (perhaps a late game or two this season).

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hate to say it but I get the feeling we may have kept Mundy on a season too long. Looking through the best 22’s he is taking games off of some kids.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back