2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry I should have added that I am excited about the future of the team and think Brayshaw and Cerra in particular can become serious AFL midfielders it's just on paper it comes across as super thin. Other than Fyfe do we have another A grade midfielder or even B grade at this stage? Walters would be one but I think he is more important up forward with stints through the midfield.

Adel: Crouch, Crouch, Sloane
Bris: Neale, Zorko, McCluggage
Carl: Cripps, Murphy, Walsh
Coll: Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Adams
Ess: Shiel, Merrett, Heppell
Freo: Fyfe, Brayshaw, Tucker
Geel: Dangerfield, Duncan, Selwood
GCS: Swallow, Miller, Fiorini
GWS: Coniglio, Taranto, Kelly
Haw: Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel
Melb: Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw
North: Cunnington, Higgins, Polec
Port: Boak, Wines, Rockliff
Rich: Martin, Cotchin, Prestia
St.K: Steele, Hannebery, Ross
Syd: Kennedy, Parker, Hewett
WCE: Shuey, Yeo, Kelly
WBD: Bontempelli, Macrae, Dunkley

Fremantles third best mid was the hardest to name other than GCS which is probably Rowell who hasn't even played a game.

You’re spot on. We see our team with an obvious bias and we all see the glimpses of what our young fellas can produce and have high hopes for the future for them but realistically, if taking off the purple glasses, you’re right, we are very thin in that area.

G'day fellas, big follower of the forum but first time poster, was wondering what everyone thought of my predicted side for round 1 2020 against Essendon. I've been to a handful of training sessions, but reading the training reports on BigFooty has help me with my decisions. Give us a shout with any thoughts/differing views on the side, also added what peel would somewhat look like!

Fremantle Firsts:

B: Ethan Hughes, Joel Hamling, Reece Conca
HB: Luke Ryan, Griffin Logue, Stephen Hill
C: James Aish, Nat Fyfe, Brett Bewley
HF: Cameron McCarthy, Matt Taberner, Sam Sturt
FF: Michael Walters, Rory Lobb, Brandon Matera
FOLL: Sean Darcy, Andrew Brayshaw, Darcy Tucker
INT: Adam Cerra, Blake Acres, Connor Blakely, Brennan Cox

EMER:
Hayden Young, Taylin Dumin, Bailey Banfield

Thoughts: Round 1 Team

Backline;

• Conca training with defenders this year, his speed could be good to shut down small defenders, worry about disposal however
  • Ryan & Hill to be the rebounding defenders, Ryan more an aerial interceptor & Hill run/carry + kick outs.
  • Logue to play 2nd tall until Pearce returns, then will shift to 3rd tall (which Hughes currently plays on).
  • Hamling to take no. 1 key forward most weeks.

Midfield;

• Cerra plays predominately midfield, with spurts both forward & back when needed.
  • Fyfe plays 50/50 forward & midfield. If we are getting slaughtered in the middle chuck him in, otherwise have him forward…..we just need to kick to him a few times for maximum impact.
  • Brayshaw to play most defensive mid, utilise his tackling strength & play on most dangerous midfielder. This allows Tucker to roam more freely & become more attacking to utilise his good left peg.
  • Aish & Bewley starting wings, Acres/Hill/McCarthy to also get gig’s on the wing throughout the game.
Forwardline;
  • Lobb deepest forward for long option, whereas Taberner roams up the ground more, along with McCarthy.
  • Giving Sturt a run round 1 as a quick/crafty forward, who if he cannot hit the scoreboard, can hopefully at least use some class to set up a few with his lethal left boot.
  • Hopefully use Walters more as a forward this year, thinking 75/25 & only run through the midfield if we are getting slaughtered. Would love to see him crumb of the likes of Lobb/Taberner/Fyfe for a whole season & give the Coleman a shake up!!!

Other Thoughts;

• Darcy to be main ruck, with support from both Lobb & Cox. Cox used as a utility, although slow, can play as a defender/forward or a full back up ruck if need be.
  • Blakely used through midfield/backline, sort of lost on his role. Feel like Mundy/Acres/Cerra/Blakely are all somewhat similar body type/players. All inside midfielders & not natural flankers.
  • Probably 4-6 players injured who would make the best 25 who are injured in this order: Pearce, Hogan, Wilson, Mundy, Henry, Switkowski

Fremantle Seconds:

B:
Jason Carter, Dillon O’Reilly, Jarvis Pina
HB: Taylin Dumin, Tobe Watson, Hayden Young
C: Minairo Frederick, Luke Valente, Travis Colyer
HF: Caleb Serong, Vacant, Vacant
FF: Lachlan Schultz, Hugh Dixon, Vacant
FOLL: Lloyd Meek, Bailey Banfield, Mitchell Crowden
INT: Tom North

EMER: Isiah Butters, Leno Thomas

Peel Thoughts;

• Pina to play ‘Roger Hayden’ role on small forwards, very interested to see his progression.
  • Young to start in WAFL before the bigtime, has had a modified pre-season not competing in everything, think his not ready straight away.
  • Unsure if O’Reilly is a backman or forward
  • Serong to play as a half forward, Frederick to play on the wing, Banfield, Crowden, Valente & North all to play guts
  • Butters & Thomas to start in the reserves to build confidence
Injured:

• Alex Pearce [Ankle] à Rd 4
  • David Mundy [Leg] à Rd 4
  • Sam Switkowski [Hamstring] à Rd 8
  • Jesse Hogan [Mental Health] à TBA
  • Nathan Wilson [Toe] à Rd 4
  • Stefan Giro [Knee] à Rd 8
  • Liam Henry [Knee] à Rd 4

G'day fellas, big follower of the forum but first time poster, was wondering what everyone thought of my predicted side for round 1 2020 against Essendon. I've been to a handful of training sessions, but reading the training reports on BigFooty has help me with my decisions. Give us a shout with any thoughts/differing views on the side, also added what peel would somewhat look like!

Fremantle Firsts:

EMER:

Backline;

• Conca training with defenders this year, his speed could be good to shut down small defenders, worry about disposal however
  • Ryan & Hill to be the rebounding defenders, Ryan more an aerial interceptor & Hill run/carry + kick outs.
  • Logue to play 2nd tall until Pearce returns, then will shift to 3rd tall (which Hughes currently plays on).

Midfield;

• Cerra plays predominately midfield, with spurts both forward & back when needed.
  • Fyfe plays 50/50 forward & midfield. If we are getting slaughtered in the middle chuck him in, otherwise have him forward…..we just need to kick to him a few times for maximum impact.
  • Brayshaw to play most defensive mid, utilise his tackling strength & play on most dangerous midfielder. This allows Tucker to roam more freely & become more attacking to utilise his good left peg.
  • Aish & Bewley starting wings, Acres/Hill/McCarthy to also get gig’s on the wing throughout the game.
Forwardline;
  • Lobb deepest forward for long option, whereas Taberner roams up the ground more, along with McCarthy.
  • Giving Sturt a run round 1 as a quick/crafty forward, who if he cannot hit the scoreboard, can hopefully at least use some class to set up a few with his lethal left boot.
  • Hopefully use Walters more as a forward this year, thinking 75/25 & only run through the midfield if we are getting slaughtered. Would love to see him crumb of the likes of Lobb/Taberner/Fyfe for a whole season & give the Coleman a shake up!!!

Other Thoughts;

• Darcy to be main ruck, with support from both Lobb & Cox. Cox used as a utility, although slow, can play as a defender/forward or a full back up ruck if need be.
  • Blakely used through midfield/backline, sort of lost on his role. Feel like Mundy/Acres/Cerra/Blakely are all somewhat similar body type/players. All inside midfielders & not natural flankers.
  • Probably 4-6 players injured who would make the best 25 who are injured in this order: Pearce, Hogan, Wilson, Mundy, Henry, Switkowski

Fremantle Seconds:

B:

Peel Thoughts;

• Pina to play ‘Roger Hayden’ role on small forwards, very interested to see his progression.
  • Young to start in WAFL before the bigtime, has had a modified pre-season not competing in everything, think his not ready straight away.
  • Serong to play as a half forward, Frederick to play on the wing, Banfield, Crowden, Valente & North all to play guts
Injured:

Great first post Tbob14 - 4.5 years in the making!

I like both your teams, but Peel will need to give the local lads a run, including Haydn Ballantyne.

Can I ask where you got the timings on the injury returns, or are they just your estimates?

Fremantle Firsts:

EMER:

Backline;

Midfield;

Forwardline;

Other Thoughts;

Fremantle Seconds:

B:

Peel Thoughts;

Injured:

Really good observations and decision making in this post. As likely as any other first round side that has been posted, including the individual players roles.

My minor niggles are small and opinion based.

I prefer Duman to Cox, but it is a bit of a nil-all draw. Lobb as second ruck is enough. Being slow is a big minus for me in any position Cox is likely to be looked at.

I think Serong is most likely first debut, possibly ahead of Sturt. I think body wise he can handle it, and position wise he is a fit, releasing Walters.

Getting Fyfe forward more must be possible given the lads you have on that bench. You comment about Walters crumbing to Fyfe, but we all know there would be no crumbs.

Your side does feel loaded up with inside types and I’d be looking forward to the likes of Henry, Young, Frederick and co dislodging one or two of them. Your side is not indicative of a move to a side with better disposal at this stage. Reports indicate that we may be looking at a shorter kicking possession style game plan and I’d be nervously interested to see if this side could achieve that.

Great first post Tbob14 - 4.5 years in the making!

I like both your teams, but Peel will need to give the local lads a run, including Haydn Ballantyne.

Can I ask where you got the timings on the injury returns, or are they just your estimates?

Just estimates, always going conservative when you look at the freo injury list of the last 5 years, its always so grim :/

Really good observations and decision making in this post. As likely as any other first round side that has been posted, including the individual players roles.

My minor niggles are small and opinion based.

I prefer Duman to Cox, but it is a bit of a nil-all draw. Lobb as second ruck is enough. Being slow is a big minus for me in any position Cox is likely to be looked at.

I think Serong is most likely first debut, possibly ahead of Sturt. I think body wise he can handle it, and position wise he is a fit, releasing Walters.

Getting Fyfe forward more must be possible given the lads you have on that bench. You comment about Walters crumbing to Fyfe, but we all know there would be no crumbs.

Your side does feel loaded up with inside types and I’d be looking forward to the likes of Henry, Young, Frederick and co dislodging one or two of them. Your side is not indicative of a move to a side with better disposal at this stage. Reports indicate that we may be looking at a shorter kicking possession style game plan and I’d be nervously interested to see if this side could achieve that.

Cheers for the feedback! Now with the Hamling injury would probably look at bringing in one of Duman/Young now & get Cox to play KD, so sorts that problem!
Was also a toss up between Sturt & Serong, but just thought Sturt is more of a natural forward, whereas Serong more an inside mid, think they will toss up for spot depending on their pre-season games, which should be good to watch! Also agree with last post, but just don't really see anyone knocking the door down to take Acres/Blakely spot, think growing up in the Ross era makes me reluctant to play 1-2 year players rd 1! Although if Henry was fit he'd be my 3rd player chosen after Fyfe & Walters 😍

Just estimates, always going conservative when you look at the freo injury list of the last 5 years, its always so grim :/

Cheers for the feedback! Now with the Hamling injury would probably look at bringing in one of Duman/Young now & get Cox to play KD, so sorts that problem!
Was also a toss up between Sturt & Serong, but just thought Sturt is more of a natural forward, whereas Serong more an inside mid, think they will toss up for spot depending on their pre-season games, which should be good to watch! Also agree with last post, but just don't really see anyone knocking the door down to take Acres/Blakely spot, think growing up in the Ross era makes me reluctant to play 1-2 year players rd 1! Although if Henry was fit he'd be my 3rd player chosen after Fyfe & Walters 😍
Thanks mate. You can add Joel Hamling to that list now. Curse the injury Gods!

As expected, more changes.

FB: Hughes - Logue - Duman
HB: Conca - Cox - Aish
C: Hill - Fyfe - Ryan
HF: Walters - McCarthy - Sturt
FF: Lobb - Tabs - Serong
FOLL: Darcy - Brayshaw - Tucker
INT: Cerra - Schultz - Blakely - Young
EMERG: Acres, Crowden, Banfield, Carter, Bewley.
INJ: Pearce, Mundy, Wilson, Henry, Hogan, Hamling.

Sturt gets a debut! :thumbsu: And we go from possibly having 3 KPF + Lobb back to 1 + Lobb which will still work.

Remember when WC lost 3 KPD in one preseason and their supporters were slashing their wrists? Well didn't they go on to make a GF that year? I can't remember but they had a fantastic season, we'll be alright.

Last edited:

I think Hamling down might put a hold on Young getting a debut.

Agree re Sturt and Serong, but I think Serong will be more productive from the get go wherever he plays, and in effect releasing Walters to the midfield when required. Serong also brings defensive pressure forward. Sturt for now brings less versatility, and is perhaps unlikely to get any significant midfield time.

Some nice options coming.

One of the biggest reasons I wanted Lyon gone was how he played players out of position and his obsession with defensive traits over attacking qualities. Both of these things applied to Blakely, and I think he can thrive under a new coach. Stick him back in the guts, not on a bloody half back flank. People on here have short memories about how good he actually was in 2017 for a third year player.
So it looks like the thinking could be Hill and Conca on the back flanks. I am fine with that, but see no difference than making the choice to have Cerra and Blakely back there. They are after all, all midfielders.

In all seriousness, after the two scratchies I reckon round 1 will be

Hughes Cox Ryan
Conca Logue Hill
Aish Fyfe Acres
Walters Tabs Tucker
Matera Lobb Serong

Darcy Brayshaw Cerra

Sturt Duman Blakely Young*

*Cant miss anymore pre-season

Looks close. Young is just workload management according to Bell. Matera might not be tracking to best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks close. Young is just workload management according to Bell. Matera might not be tracking to best 22.
Yeah, if he's fallen back into his old ways then he's out and he'd be replaced by Schultz or Colyer... For our sake, I hope reports of him regressing are untrue. He's a very good goal sneak who we need at his best

Edit: And anything Bell says I'll take with a grain of salt - we'll know if he plays both pre-season games

E.Hughes/B.Cox/L.Ryan
R.Conca/G.Logue/H.Young

J.Aish/A.Brayshaw/B.Acres

M.Walters/M.Taberner/T.Colyer
L.Schultz/R.Lobb/C.Serong

S.Darcy/N.Fyfe/D.Tucker

A.Cerra/S.Sturt/T.Duman/S.Hill

Don't think I missed anyone

Ideal no injury lineup would be

E.Hughes/J.Hamling/L.Ryan
N.Wilson/A.Pearce/H.Young

M.Walters/M.Taberner/J.Hogan

S.Darcy/N.Fyfe/D.Tucker

R.Conca/G.Logue/A.Cerra/S.Hill

E.Hughes/B.Cox/L.Ryan
R.Conca/G.Logue/H.Young

M.Walters/M.Taberner/T.Colyer

S.Darcy/N.Fyfe/D.Tucker

A.Cerra/S.Sturt/T.Duman/S.Hill

Don't think I missed anyone

Ideal no injury lineup would be

E.Hughes/J.Hamling/L.Ryan
N.Wilson/A.Pearce/H.Young

M.Walters/M.Taberner/J.Hogan

S.Darcy/N.Fyfe/D.Tucker

R.Conca/G.Logue/A.Cerra/S.Hill
Schultz is a big call given what we saw last year. You'd have him ahead of Switta and Matera?

Up in the air like this?

Without yet having played even one proper game, Serong already looks to me to be shaping miles ahead of the LDU/Dow types at the same stage, and even Brayshaw/Cerra.

The real stars of the game generally hit the ground running - Fyfe, Judd, Martin, Bont etc. Fingers crossed for Serong.

The 2 bolters for round 1 (if they keep their preseason form up) are Fredricks and Banfield I thought they were very good yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back