2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The way Cox is going he may overtake Hamling by round 1 next year. Very composed tonight. Neat by foot and takes a nice mark.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree Cox looked good tonight but think your forgetting the quality of Hamling. I’d say he’ll get plenty of opportunity with Pearce unfortunately injured though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree Cox looked good tonight but think your forgetting the quality of Hamling. I’d say he’ll get plenty of opportunity with Pearce unfortunately injured though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The way Cox is going he may overtake Hamling by round 1 next year. Very composed tonight. Neat by foot and takes a nice mark.

I wonder if Alex Pearce if fit, can Ryan take the second tall. He is playing very good in his current role.

So with Cerra doing so well on a wing and Hogan playing key defender for a while here's my latest effort.
Im tipping Sturt is good enough to come in and play a pressure forward role but be dangerous offensively.
One of Schultz or Crowden misses out. Im going with Crowden after the lsat two weeks. Logue will come back late I think but Ill leave him out for now.

B: Ryan Hogan Wilson
HB Hughes Cox S.Hill
C: Aish Fyfe Cerra
R: Darcy Serong Brayshaw
HF: Walters Tabs Crowden
FF: Sturt Lobb Henry
I?C Bewley, Mundy, Conca, Blakely

Holy hell this is hard - and just recalling some of the best 22 we had in the 2012-15 period makes you realise how bright our next five years could be!!

My main comment is just look at that back six - if we can get them all on the park that is hands down the most complete back six in our history.

B: Ryan - Hamling - Logue
HB: Wilson - Pearce - Young
C: Cerra - Brayshaw - Aish
R: Darcy - Fyfe - Serong
HF: Sturt - Hogan - Switta*
F: Walters - Tabs - Henry
I/C: Mundy, Hill, Lobb, Tucker

*For his forward pressure and general positional play I think he brings a balance this forward line needs.

I’m backing Valente and Frederick to take Mundy and Hill’s places in 2022 and 2023 respectively.

Cannot believe I can’t find room for Cox, Hughes or Crowden (I’m a huge fan of each), but they give us more than handy cover.

Surprised I can’t find room for Conca and Blakely, but I’ve prioritised the cleaner foot skills of Tucker.

Happy to see Bewley, Duman, Watson, Acres and Shultz down the pecking order. They’re serviceable players, but no team with realistic Top 8 aspirations would have them best 22.

That’s 34 players though who I wouldn’t cringe when I see their names in the starting line up. I know I mentioned the 2012-15 side above, but the fact that Pearce (D & C), Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Suban, Clarke and even Dawson were regular starters just highlights how good the list we’re building is.

Delistings actually spot on. Colyer and Matera MAY get a chance for next season. The unfortunate for Butters, North and Giro are they’re unknown talents. Dixon is the one that bothers me. Handy forward, smart but unlike Tabs, just doesn’t work hard enough.
Colyer is already contracted for next year.

Holy hell this is hard - and just recalling some of the best 22 we had in the 2012-15 period makes you realise how bright our next five years could be!!

My main comment is just look at that back six - if we can get them all on the park that is hands down the most complete back six in our history.

B: Ryan - Hamling - Logue
HB: Wilson - Pearce - Young
C: Cerra - Brayshaw - Aish
R: Darcy - Fyfe - Serong
HF: Sturt - Hogan - Switta*
F: Walters - Tabs - Henry
I/C: Mundy, Hill, Lobb, Tucker

*For his forward pressure and general positional play I think he brings a balance this forward line needs.

I’m backing Valente and Frederick to take Mundy and Hill’s places in 2022 and 2023 respectively.

Cannot believe I can’t find room for Cox, Hughes or Crowden (I’m a huge fan of each), but they give us more than handy cover.

Surprised I can’t find room for Conca and Blakely, but I’ve prioritised the cleaner foot skills of Tucker.

Happy to see Bewley, Duman, Watson, Acres and Shultz down the pecking order. They’re serviceable players, but no team with realistic Top 8 aspirations would have them best 22.

That’s 34 players though who I wouldn’t cringe when I see their names in the starting line up. I know I mentioned the 2012-15 side above, but the fact that Pearce (D & C), Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Suban, Clarke and even Dawson were regular starters just highlights how good the list we’re building is.
Harsh on Dawson and Clancee.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Zac (even more so after seeing his recent chats with Ross in the AFL app), but would I take him over Hamling, AP or Logue as a tall back - no I wouldn’t.
Hell no. Zac played to his strength which was killing the ball.
The others have multiple strengths when fit.

Next Year:
Ryan Hamling Logue
Young Pearce Wilson
Aish Fyfe Cerra
Sturt Tabs Walters
Crowden Hogan Lobb.

Ruck Darcy Brayshaw Serong

Int: Tucker, Hughes, Henry, Mundy# (If a good pre season)

Make no mistake - this is a top 4 team in the competition ladies and gentlemen. What I like is that Young and Serong are already good AFL players in their first year - will be as good next year. If they all stay on the park and find form (big if) there are not too many weaknesses in this team, and barring Mundy - the oldest player is Walters at 29.

Depth. Schultz, S Hill (too injury prone to include in 22) Blakely, Watson, Cox (Unlucky) Duman, Conca, Bewley, Switta, Frederick,

Never going to make it: Colyer, Matera, Banfield, McCarthy (hate to say it) Dixon, Acres (not a fan) Carter, O Reilly

Too early to tell: Valente, North, Meek, Pina, Butters,

Next Year:
Ryan Hamling Logue
Young Pearce Wilson
Aish Fyfe Cerra
Sturt Tabs Walters
Crowden Hogan Lobb.

Ruck Darcy Brayshaw Serong

Int: Tucker, Hughes, Henry, Mundy# (If a good pre season)

Make no mistake - this is a top 4 team in the competition ladies and gentlemen. What I like is that Young and Serong are already good AFL players in their first year - will be as good next year. If they all stay on the park and find form (big if) there are not too many weaknesses in this team, and barring Mundy - the oldest player is Walters at 29.

Depth. Schultz, S Hill (too injury prone to include in 22) Blakely, Watson, Cox (Unlucky) Duman, Conca, Bewley, Switta, Frederick,

Never going to make it: Colyer, Matera, Banfield, McCarthy (hate to say it) Dixon, Acres (not a fan) Carter, O Reilly

Too early to tell: Valente, North, Meek, Pina, Butters,
Reckon your spot on but harsh on Acres and the writing is on the wall for North unfortunately.

You also forgot Leno Thomas =)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who has more currency - Hamling or Pearce?

Cox Logue hamling/Pearce
Wilson Young Ryan

Is our best back 6.

This is how I see look at our talls

Dawson - could spoil great effort
Hamling - can spoil and mark with better kick than Dawson
Pearce - can spoil and mark with pace and better kick than Dawson is tall
Cox - can spoil with elite mark and kick but lacks pace

I think you'd find Cox is still quite a way off Hamling and Pearce. I'm not saying he can't get to there level, but he's definitely made look better by our system. The past 2-3 years we haven't had anywhere near as much help for our KPD's as we do now and those 2 fought ridiculously hard. Cox does however fit this system well, plays that back shoulder really well which allows the other guys to float in front. I'd be curious to see what happens if he came up against a Buddy type (real athletic forwards) as I think this is where the other 3 have him covered.

If Hamling, Pearce and Logue were all available I’d have Cox playing in the backline with Hamling and AP and move Logue into the middle as a big bodied mid (I could see Griffin as the midfield type that unfortunately Morabito couldn’t be for us due to injuries).

Hamling is agile enough to play on the smalls, AP the biggest forward, Cox the opp 2nd tall fwd

If we had all available this would be my best 22 noting that Henry I’m expecting/hoping fulfills his potential...

B: Ryan, Pearce, Hamling
HB: Young, Cox, Hughes
C: Cerra, Serong, Aish
HF: Walters, Hogan, Sturt
F: Lobb, Taberner, Henry

R: Darcy, Fyfe, Brayshaw

I/C: Mundy, Logue, Conca, Hill

If Hamling, Pearce and Logue were all available I’d have Cox playing in the backline with Hamling and AP and move Logue into the middle as a big bodied mid (I could see Griffin as the midfield type that unfortunately Morabito couldn’t be for us due to injuries).

Hamling is agile enough to play on the smalls, AP the biggest forward, Cox the opp 2nd tall fwd

If we had all available this would be my best 22 noting that Henry I’m expecting/hoping fulfills his potential...

Think we lack drive out of defence with that. Logue's the best of the tall's with ball in hand/run and carry. Pearce, Hamling, Cox, Hughes, really doesn't give you much going forward. If Hamling's not getting the first or second forward, he shouldn't be picked imo.

We are brewing something special here for the next 5 years I reckon. I personally like how ruthless Belly has been and if guys like Hogan don't get wtih the program they can be shown the door.
Two critical factors will be:
1 If Fyfe can keep doing what he's doing with 50% time in the middle and 50% forward for the next 5 years.
2. If Shaun Darcy can stay fit and also step up to be one of the top 5 rucks in the comp.
I personally think we have (along with Port) the best youth in the competition. Biggest surprise packets of the season is the form of Cox down back and the coaching ability of Longmuir. (We have found a ripper in my opinion) Mick Malthouse can go and eat a d##k if he thinks Michael Frederick is not an AFL footballer and the depth is starting to look pretty accomplished too just quietly.

Best 22.

Hamling Pearce Ryan
Young Cox Wilson
Aish Fyfe Cerra
Lobb Hogan Walters
Henry Tabs Frederick

Ruck: Darcy Brayshaw Serong

Int: Tucker, Logue, Mundy, Sturt.

Depth. Conca, Crowden, Hughes, Acres, Blakely, Bewely, S Hill, Switta, Shultz, Duman,

Wilson has been borderline sensational the last few games and realistically is ahead of Young, Hughes, Conca and Hill as players who would spend time in defence in your side. And I like all of those players. But I definitely agree that Cox’s form will make the Brains Trust think about how to fit all of Pearce, Hamling, Logue and Cox into the side. And like you I think Logue in the midfield, if it came off, would be an aggressive option that should be considered. A 5-10 minutes per game ruck is a variation on that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back