2020 best 22 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Wilson has been borderline sensational the last few games and realistically is ahead of Young, Hughes, Conca and Hill as players who would spend time in defence in your side. And I like all of those players. But I definitely agree that Cox’s form will make the Brains Trust think about how to fit all of Pearce, Hamling, Logue and Cox into the side. And like you I think Logue in the midfield, if it came off, would be an aggressive option that should be considered. A 5-10 minutes per game ruck is a variation on that.

Willo's omission was an oversight on my part... definitely best 22 so no arguments there

Always fun to do these and pretty interesting when you think of the changes every year (Not many were expecting Bewely and Shultz to be regulars at the end of last year, and even less to be thinking Matera and Blakely were no longer best 22) Anyway, here's mine - it's on the assumption that Henry comes good and Hamling and Pearce are fit (big question marks). It probably won't happen because he is contracted but it's time to hang up the boots for Stephen Hill.

Logue Hamling Ryan
Young Pearce Wison
Cerra Fyfe Aish
Henry Tabs Walters
Sturt Hogan Crowden

Ruck Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Int: Mundy Tucker Lobb Conca

Not too many weak links in this team - maybe kicking goals with Crowden and Henry, and then possibly Aish on a wing hasn't totally proved himself yet.

Unlucky: Acres (not sold quite yet) Hughes (been bloody good this year so unlucky) Duman (Good this year so unlucky) Shultz, Cox, Switta (Crowden just pips him for the pressure forward) Frederick. Cox (the fact I couldn't fit him in shows how strong we are in my opinion)

Always fun to do these and pretty interesting when you think of the changes every year (Not many were expecting Bewely and Shultz to be regulars at the end of last year, and even less to be thinking Matera and Blakely were no longer best 22) Anyway, here's mine - it's on the assumption that Henry comes good and Hamling and Pearce are fit (big question marks). It probably won't happen because he is contracted but it's time to hang up the boots for Stephen Hill.

Logue Hamling Ryan
Young Pearce Wison
Cerra Fyfe Aish
Henry Tabs Walters
Sturt Hogan Crowden

Not too many weak links in this team - maybe kicking goals with Crowden and Henry, and then possibly Aish on a wing hasn't totally proved himself yet.

Unlucky: Acres (not sold quite yet) Hughes (been bloody good this year so unlucky) Duman (Good this year so unlucky) Shultz, Cox, Switta (Crowden just pips him for the pressure forward) Frederick. Cox (the fact I couldn't fit him in shows how strong we are in my opinion)

Purely from a Freo supporter’s perspective, it’s a bloody good side!

Logue Hamling Ryan
Young Pearce Wison
Cerra Fyfe Aish
Henry Tabs Walters
Sturt Hogan Crowden

We’re making progress when you wince at some of the names left out - while having no issues with 22 selected.

Nice job.

Logue Hamling Ryan
Young Pearce Wison
Cerra Fyfe Aish
Henry Tabs Walters
Sturt Hogan Crowden

First time in years there aren't glaring weakspots on any line there. Exciting stuff.

Selwood ducks or shrugs for half of his "contested possessions".
Cunnington thinks being hard is gut punching blokes off the ball.
Robinson I agree should be in the poll.
Martin isn't hard. Not a noted tackler and most of his commentary jizzing is from work on the outside or forward.

Mitch in a league of his own though.

Last edited:
So looking ahead by the end of the year of the players who played this year Id have this as our best 22 as this
Conca Logue Ryan
Wilson Cox S.Hill
Cerra Brayshaw Acres
Darcy Fyfe Serong
Walters Hogan Mundy
Lobb Tabs Shultz
Aish,,Tucker, Hughes, Young

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Ryan Logue Cox
HB: Young Pearce Wilson
C: Acres Mundy Aish
HF: Sturt Hogan Fyfe
FF: Walters Tabs Henry

R: Darcy Cerra Serong

I: Tucker Lobb Brayshaw Hill

E: Schultz Hamling Bewley Conca
It's going to be a good debate around Hamling and Cox, and potentially other options. For me, injury aside, Hamling in front because of his versatility.

I'm also struggling with Conca out. He has had some terrific games locking out some dangerous small/medium forwards, an area we have struggled with.

Henry is exactly the type of player we need forward and I hope he has the pre-season required to provide the kind of production we're expecting.

FB: Ryan Hamling Cox
HB: Young Logue Wilson
C: Cerra Mundy Aish
HF: Sturt Hogan Fyfe
FF: Walters Tabs Schultz

R: Darcy Brayshaw Serong

I: Tucker Lobb Acres Frederick

E: Pearce Hughes Henry Hill

Here's my go. Henry will need to win a spot from either Freddy or Schultz. We suck at F50 tackles so Schultz is a best 22 player for now.

Pearce will need to earn his spot back unfortunately as I only had one spot between him and Hamling. Hill is depth next year I reckon.

FB: Logue, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Young, Pearce, Wilson
C: Acres, Fyfe, Aish
HF: Sturt, Hogan, Walters
FF: Schultz, Taberner, Henry
FOL: Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra
INT: Mundy, Serong, Tucker, Lobb

FB: Logue, Hamling, Ryan
HB: Young, Pearce, Wilson
C: Acres, Fyfe, Aish
HF: Sturt, Hogan, Walters
FF: Schultz, Taberner, Henry
FOL: Darcy, Brayshaw, Cerra
INT: Mundy, Serong, Tucker, Lobb
I like you best 22 and don't disagree.

Amazing that Hughes, Conca, Hill, and Cox are not best 22.

Bewley, Duman, Switta, Crowden, and Frederick are great depth players.

Where do we fit our first round pick?

I like you best 22 and don't disagree.

Amazing that Hughes, Conca, Hill, and Cox are not best 22.

Bewley, Duman, Switta, Crowden, and Frederick are great depth players.

Where do we fit our first round pick?
I seriously wanted to fit Conca into there but I just rate all those guys higher than him 😂

Logue Hamling Ryan
Young Pearce Wison
Cerra Fyfe Aish
Henry Tabs Walters
Sturt Hogan Crowden

At this point I would have Cox ahead of Hamling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back