Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Pearce
Wilson Cox Logue

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw
Aish Cerra Hill

Walters Hogan Sturt
Henry Tabs Lobb

Mundy, Serong, Young, Conca

Unlucky: Tucker, Hughes, Duman, Acres, Shultz, Matera, Freddy, Blakely, Bewley, Colyer

I would so love to see Stephen Hill freed from the curse of being out of position in the backline and played on the wing he was born to be.
I have a feeling Liam Henry will come on next year after his first proper pre-season.
Backline is very good.
We are starting to build some solid depth.
Hoping we draft a pacy skilled winger with our first pick. Who knows what might happen in trade week
Pumped for 2021!

Last edited:

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Pearce
Wilson Cox Logue

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw
Aish Cerra Hill

Walters Hogan Sturt
Henry Tabs Lobb

Mundy, Young, Tucker, Conca

Unlucky: Hughes, Duman, Acres, Shultz, Matera, Freddy, Blakely, Bewley, Colyer

I would so love to see Stephen Hill freed from the curse of being out of position in the backline and played on the wing he was born to be.
I have a feeling Liam Henry will come on next year after his first proper pre-season.
Backline is very good.
We are starting to build some solid depth.
Hoping we draft a pacy skilled winger with our first pick. Who knows what might happen in trade week
Pumped for 2021!

No Serong?

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hamling is also pretty frail, to the point where it's not really certain if he'll ever play again.
Played every game in 2017 and 2019, missed four in 2018. Providing he gets over this current injury which he seems confident he has done then I see no issues with frailty.

Fyfe was a lot more injury prone in his early days and we've built a team around him.

Last edited:

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon our defenders really like and respect each other, and as a result they work as a team and support each other.

The forward line just doesn't give me the same feeling. Walters doesn't want to be there, he wants to play midfield. Hogan is uncomfortable there and so is Lobb, each for their own reasons. I get the feeling Taberner and Hogan don't actually like each other and their celebrations of each others work seems muted. Fyfe's appearances are both sporadic and enigmatic, and don't seem to have helped things gel.

I think the impact of someone like cuddles Conca on the defence is lacking forward, and I hope Walters can play a major role in bringing them together in 2021. And with the fresh energy of Sturt and Henry we may see some fire.

Both Tabs and Hogan just seem perpetually annoyed and grumpy about the quality of forward entries they receive which don't really blame them to be honest lol. I also don't mind grumpy arrogant Taberner, it works in his favour.

There's also a cause and effect problem with your proposition, does our back line work well as a system "because" they like and respect each other, or is it that our back line is functional therefore our players are happy and nice to each other because of the fact.

Same with the forwards, Walters was awful up until the last few rounds, Fyfe's adjusting to not being able to influence the game the way he used to up forward, and Hogan is working hard and leading well but isn't being rewarded. All of this causes angst, but I don't think you can infer that they don't have respect for each other.

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
No I get it. I wouldn't say anyone in our forward line has a bond like the boys in the backline seem to have. Hopefully it'll come with time.
In my footy playing days, backlines always seemed to form more of a bond that forwardlines.

I've got a few theories why but I don't want to upset those who plied their trade forward of centre...

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
R1 2021

FB - Logue Hamling Conca
CHB - Wilson Pearce Ryan
C - Acres Fyfe Aish
CHF - Walters Taberner Brayshaw
FF - Henry Lobb Hogan
R - Darcy Serong Mundy
int - Cerra Tucker Young Sturt

Very hard team to name which is crazy from the start of the year.
cox Hughes & Shultz could all play r1

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
R1 2021

FB - Logue Hamling Conca
CHB - Wilson Pearce Ryan
C - Acres Fyfe Aish
CHF - Walters Taberner Brayshaw
FF - Henry Lobb Hogan
R - Darcy Serong Mundy
int - Cerra Tucker Young Sturt

Very hard team to name which is crazy from the start of the year.
cox Hughes & Shultz could all play r1

Cox is already better than Hamling. Cox can spoil, mark, kick and handball. Hamling can only do 2 of those things.

If the damage to Hamlings ankle is as reported his pace will be a metre off as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cox is already better than Hamling. Cox can spoil, mark, kick and handball. Hamling can only do 2 of those things.

If the damage to Hamlings ankle is as reported his pace will be a metre off as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cox is definitely not better than Hamling. Potential is there to be though. People forget how good Hamling was pre injury

the assumption of my team is healthy and fit. If Hamling is not ready, Cox plays.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Okay this is where I am at with the key position defenders:

Best actual defence in this order:
Pearce 9 - Very tall but also agile and extremely fast, could blanked both a Max King or a Charlie Cameron or anything in between.
Hamling 8 - pretty tall and athletic, consistently defeated good tall forwards, but not really suited for zippy smalls.
Logue 7 - Still learning but taken some big heads already; has extreme speed and endurance but not really the right height for a King / Dixon but can blanket smalls.
Cox 6 - Good positioning but not the same speed and athleticism or height - best suited for tall slower forwards where he can use his positioning.

Best offensive ability:
Cox 8 - consistent skills in setting up on the rebound, reliably puts to advantage
Logue 7 - dangerous long kick, good handball, a little bit confidence driven and still learning craft.
Hamling 5 - consistent enough but adds very little offensive value.
Pearce 4 - Can add offensive value but skills are not consistent enough to take those risks and can lead to bad turnovers.

My read on it is that the defence side is high enough on all four - to that end (if all available) I would probably get the two best offensive ability players plus the most versatile defender - so Pearce, Logue and Cox to deal with the third talls. But it is really close....
Hamling was the one moved to Charlie Cameron to stop last year when he kicked like 4 in a quarter against us and he disappeared after

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Multi position players are weapons
Given we have the depth to replace them in the backline I hope Logue and Young are developed for other positions over the next two seasons. Midfield related positions.

Young is about as Mundy-esque as you could conjure, and the transition of Mundy to the midfield has been a driver for our club. Can he win clearances like Mundy; possibly not, but I would be asking that question to him. He is certainly not an outside receiver type, and if he wants a shot at being a midfielder there would be no better club/mentor for him.

Logue looks capable of developing into a wildcard. He has an aggressive, hunter, predator presence on the field. It is very useful in defence but it also can be used elsewhere. I can see him on the wing, and I would love to see him ruck against English (10 minute relief style ruck)- lose the tap and win the clearance.

A possible 2021 best 22 could be;

Cox Hamling Wilson
Ryan Pearce Hughes

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw
Acres Cerra Logue

Walters Hogan Sturt
Henry Tabs Lobb

Aish, Serong, Young, Tucker

My players not in consideration for this 2021 side include both Mundy and Hill which makes a small part of me weep quietly.

Other defensive depth includes Duman, Watson, Conca, Walker and Pina.

Last edited:

Docker79

All Australian
Jan 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
B: LOGUE, HAMLING, RYAN
HB: YOUNG, A PEARCE, WILSON
C: TUCKER, CERRA, ACRES
HF: WALTERS, HOGAN, STURT
F: LOBB, TABERNER, SERONG
R: DARCY, FYFE, BRAYSHAW

I/C: MUNDY, AISH, CONCA, COX

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I don’t think Tucker is a winger. He’s more inside, who can play outside if needed. He’ll be a tricky one next year, as he’s B22 imo, but where to play him is the question. It would be a shame to see a talented guy getting shunted around, not settling into his next position, then deciding to head elsewhere. I know there are a lot of if/buts/maybe hypotheticals, but Freo has been developing him for 5 years now, and he’s entering his prime. He needS to feel comfortable and settled that he’s playing his footy in his preferred position. IMVHO.

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t think Tucker is a winger. He’s more inside, who can play outside if needed. He’ll be a tricky one next year, as he’s B22 imo, but where to play him is the question. It would be a shame to see a talented guy getting shunted around, not settling into his next position, then deciding to head elsewhere. I know there are a lot of if/buts/maybe hypotheticals, but Freo has been developing him for 5 years now, and he’s entering his prime. He needS to feel comfortable and settled that he’s playing his footy in his preferred position. IMVHO.
I think he's well suited to a half forward flank.

- Good kick
- Good kick on goal
- Tackles
- Runs both ways
- Decent pace
- Good size for a medium forward
- Competing with Crowden and Frederick

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
The wings and the forward/ruck roles are our biggest concerns imo.
Young was playing wing a bit before he got injured. Id love to see him there if he has a great preseason. Acres finish to the year was promising too. Stephen Hill was moving well in the last few games.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Multi position players are weapons
Given we have the depth to replace them in the backline I hope Logue and Young are developed for other positions over the next two seasons. Midfield related positions.

Young is about as Mundy-esque as you could conjure, and the transition of Mundy to the midfield has been a driver for our club. Can he win clearances like Mundy; possibly not, but I would be asking that question to him. He is certainly not an outside receiver type, and if he wants a shot at being a midfielder there would be no better club/mentor for him.

Logue looks capable of developing into a wildcard. He has an aggressive, hunter, predator presence on the field. It is very useful in defence but it also can be used elsewhere. I can see him on the wing, and I would love to see him ruck against English (10 minute relief style ruck)- lose the tap and win the clearance.

A possible 2021 best 22 could be;

Cox Hamling Wilson
Ryan Pearce Hughes

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw
Acres Cerra Logue

Walters Hogan Sturt
Henry Tabs Lobb

Aish, Serong, Young, Tucker

My players not in consideration for this 2021 side include both Mundy and Hill which makes a small part of me weep quietly.

Other defensive depth includes Duman, Watson, Conca, Walker and Pina.
Totally disagree that Young isnt an outsider type. I dont think he is anything like in the Mundy mould. He was great at times in his few games at staying outside the contest and hitting a terrific kick. For mine he's a bit quicker than I thought he would be. I could also see Darcy Tucker yet playing on a wing full time. When he was drafted he was described as completely an outside player. He developed his inside work, but it could be a case of letting him go back to the future.

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
i think tucker has the ability to play forward. He is a proven good set shot and has the ability to find space.

tucker lobb hogan

sturt tabener walters

something like this. May be a little tall but sturt has food pace and walters and tucker arnt too bad either.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
i think tucker has the ability to play forward. He is a proven good set shot and has the ability to find space.

tucker lobb hogan

sturt tabener walters

something like this. May be a little tall but sturt has food pace and walters and tucker arnt too bad either.
There's stuff all forward pressure there. 1-2 of Schultz, Crowden, Frederick and Switkowski will be in our forward line.

Definitely agree he can rotate forward though, and he did this season at times.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

tucker lobb hogan

sturt tabener walters

You'd be swimming against a king tide here from the crew who think players should be playing in the role they were drafted in, which equates to him being a hbf. Which also means he'll be in the wafl until injuries allow him an opportunity.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
You'd be swimming against a king tide here from the crew who think players should be playing in the role they were drafted in, which equates to him being a hbf. Which also means he'll be in the wafl until injuries allow him an opportunity.

Not sure how saying that Young should be on the HBF because that's where we need his ball use, aggressive instinct. and intercept marking translates to not wanting Tucker to play HFF if that's where his skills best apply and he can't be a B22 player in his original position.

Back