List Mgmt. 2020 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
I looked for a more current thread, but I could only find a round 1 best 22 thread.

Our best 22 has evolved slightly, but been more or less the same all season.

The following players are definitely in my best 22 moving forwards:

FB: Geary - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Clark - Carlisle - Coffield
C: Hill - Steele - Billings
HF: Butler - Membrey - Kent
FF: *** - King - Marshall
R: Ryder - Gresham - Jones
I: Paton - Ross - *** - ***

Some might argue Ross doesn’t deserve his spot and a fit and firing Dunstan and Hannebery would be gunning for his spot, but they’re both likely to miss the rest of the season.

The last 3 spots are purely form related, the small forward role is bloody hard to maintain consistency. Lonie, Hind, Parker, etc all have had a go, with varying levels of success.

To Battle or not to Battle? He’s been ok in his swingman role, but is it necessary or have we created a role to get him in the 22?

Long has had some huge games, but is still inconsistent, probably still deserves a game when he is back from suspension, but where does that leave Geary? Geary as a forward tagger will work when he has a match up, but I don’t think it’s our plan long term. Paton and Coffield have solidified their backline spots.

Sinclair impressed me last night, I just think he’s an AFL footballer, he has the attributes. I’d keep him in the side.

My 22 moving forwards in 2020.
FB: Geary - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Clark - Carlisle - Coffield
FF: Lonie - King - Marshall
I: Paton - Ross - Sinclair - Long

Post your thoughts, your changes, your 22’s. It’s an exciting time, we have a finals caliber list. Go Saints!

FB: Coffield - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Clark - Carlisle - Long
FF: Parker - King - Marshall
I: Paton - Ross - Sinclair - Bytel

Our team has gone past Geary I'm afraid.

FB: Paton - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Long - Carlisle - Coffield
C: Billings - Steele - Hill
HF: ??? - Membrey - ???
FF: Marshall - King - Butler
R: Ryder - Clark - Jones
I: Geary - Ross - Gresham - ???

The forward flanks are up for debate/form. Any of Kent, Sinclair, Hind, Parker and Lonie can move in and rotate on ball. I could also see us using Langlands and Byrnes there for development and Shane Savage is an option given his time at the Hawks (under Ratten) as well.

The last bench spot is a flex position. We can play Battle or Marsh for the extra tall, Webster/Robbo to free up Coffield or an extra mid/hff from the list above.

Battle is the tricky one.

I love him playing up the ground, basically as a hard running winger/hff option. He can swing back if needed and does a decent job as an around the ground ruck. Long term I think he is our CHB but it's hard to justify playing him in defence ahead of Carlisle, Howard or Wilkie.

Hopefully he can see a role for the team and we can lock him down long term. I would hate to lose him.

FB: Coffield - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Clark - Carlisle - Long
FF: Parker - King - Marshall
I: Paton - Ross - Sinclair - Bytel

Our team has gone past Geary I'm afraid.
I don’t understand how you can have Bytel in your best 22 when he hasn’t even played a game of Afl. Don’t get me wrong....I hope him and Byrnes become stars of the team but can’t be best 22 atm.

Imo right now:

HB: Coffield - Carlisle - Long
CL: Clark - Steele - Hill
HF: Butler - Membery - Billings
FF: Ryder - King - Kent
RR: Marshall - Jones - Gresham
Int: Battle - Hannebery - Geary
Ross

Geary is still an important lockdown player for us, would not be leaving him out. Ross I'd really like to leave out, but the reality is I can't properly justify including a Lonie, Hind or Marsh over him in a 'best side'. Certainly can't leave him out of a 'best side' for next to untried guys like Bytel and Byrnes.

Speaking of which Lonie and Hind get honerable mentions as pressure players who could theortically be there for their role.

I don’t understand how you can have Bytel in your best 22 when he hasn’t even played a game of Afl. Don’t get me wrong....I hope him and Byrnes become stars of the team but can’t be best 22 atm.
That's a good point saintsgirl5. I was just thinking that you need to have someone in the side developing. If you are purely looking at best 22 and ignoring injuries then I would have Hanners in place of Bytel. I would have Battle in for Parker as well. So my best 22 would be.........

FB: Patton - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Long - Carlisle - Clark
HF: Membrey - Battle - Kent
FF: Butler - King - Marshall
I: Coffield - Ross - Sinclair - Hannebery

That is a top 4 side (hopefully). Geary is a depth player IMHO.

Last edited:
how good is our back 6

HB: Coffield - Carlisle - Long

rock solid in defence and hurts you going the other way
Its a big call, but I reckon it would have to be one of the best in the league especially by the end of year. All good kicks, plenty of speed and good balance of defense and offense.

The great thing is Ratts seems to have basically locked down our best 22 besides those forward pocket, half forward spots so we're getting really good continuity in the positions and you only have 2 or 3 spots to mix up.

Personally think Gears as a defensive forward is a masterstroke as well. Might make a late charge for the coleman😀

That's a good point saintsgirl5. I was just thinking that you need to have someone in the side developing. If you are purely looking at best 22 and ignoring injuries then I would have Hanners in place of Bytel. I would have Battle in for Parker as well. So my best 22 would be.........

FB: Patton - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Long - Carlisle - Clark
HF: Membrey - Battle - Kent
FF: Butler - King - Marshall
I: Coffield - Ross - Sinclair - Hannnebery

That is a top 4 side (hopefully). Geary is a depth player IMHO.
I myself can’t pick a top 22, think I’d opt for a top 24, with a couple of floaters coming in and out of the side depending on what team we are playing that week and the game style we what to adapt against that team. Having said that I’m very happy with our back 6 atm, it’s more midfield and half forward I’d be changing up depending on the team.

Our back six, no stars, but a solid AF unit! Rarely beaten. It's usually the midfield supply that's our undoing.
Same with our forward line, as a unit, an amazingly efficient goal machine... with minimal forward entries! But it's definitely quality over quantity for us this year. The way we've been able to open up the centre of goal, it's a sight to behold. Hopefully no one stops us this year.
I have a feeling Battle will be unleashed towards finals time, secret weapon forward.
Best at the moment:

FDan ButlerMax KingJosh Battle
HFJack BillingsTim MembreyDean Kent
CHunter ClarkJade GreshamBrad Hill
HBBen PatonJake CarlisleBen Long
BCallum WilkieDougal HowardNick Coffield
FOLLRowan MarshallJack SteeleZak Jones
INT fromPaddy RyderJack SinclairNick Hind
Sebastian RossJarryn GearyJack Lonie

My massively rotated squad for the Suns match. Anyone with a niggle or susceptible to knocks can be rested. These guys should be quite fresh:

FMatthew ParkerJosh BattleJack Lonie
HFDean KentJonathon MarshNick Hind
CEd PhillipsJack SinclairDylan Roberton
HBDaniel McKenzieOscar ClavarinoShane Savage
BCoffield/PatonLogan AustinBen Long
FOLLRyan AbbottJack BytelRyan Byrnes
INTPaddy RyderDoulton LanglandsDarragh Joyce
Dan Butler

Something like that. That's a heavy rotation, but these are the times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Clark
C: Billings, Hanners, Hill
HB: Kent, Membrey, Butler
F: Marshall, King, Gresham
R: Ryder, Jones, Steele

Int: Long, Sinclair, Geary, Battle

Must say it is a well balanced squad. Just missing another gun inside mid. Over time hope Bytel becomes that for us. There will be a lot of horses for courses throughout the year. Our depth is handy for the upcoming rounds and short turnarounds.

Ross will be a guaranteed starter but if Sincs keeps his form up, would much prefer he stay in as the link up mid.

Last edited:
B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Clark
C: Billings, Hanners, Hill
HB: Kent, Membrey, Butler
F: Marshall, King, Lonie
R: Ryder, Jones, Steele

Int: Long, Sinclair, Geary, Battle

Must say it is a well balanced squad. Just missing another gun inside mid. Over time hope Bytel becomes that for us. There will be a lot of horses for courses throughout the year. Our depth is handy for the upcoming rounds and short turnarounds.

Ross will be a guaranteed starter but if Sincs keeps his form up, would much prefer he stay in as the link up mid.
Missing Gresham...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back