List Mgmt. 2020 Best 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Stolen off Facebook, agree or disagree with the following -
Champion Data List Ratings for 2020 by position

- Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun

View attachment 789639

This makes no sense to me.

Cats have the 8th best ruck division but 16th best backline...Dogs the no.2 defense? WTF

We conceded the least points by a mile last year and have a proven, settled lineup.

Are we better than Adelaide in the ruck?

Also how is Melbourne with Gawn, Pruess & Jackson worse than WCE?

I’d guess the following:
Midfield: 8th
Ruck: 14th
Forward: 3rd
Backline: 2nd

Last edited:

Cats have the 8th best ruck division but 16th best backline...Dogs the no.2 defense? WTF

We conceded the least points by a mile last year and have a proven, settled lineup.

I’d guess the following:

I'm confused by it also - hoping someone on here may have seen the original source and be able to shed some light

I’d guess the following:

While 16th sounds a little harsh in isolation, it’s not a total shock considering the rankings are based solely on personnel. Based on current form (as a rough guide):

Stewart = A+
Blicavs = B+
Taylor = C+
Kolodjashnij = C+
Tuohy = C+
O’Connor = C+
Henry = C
Bews = C

O’Connor and Henry in particular have the potential to be rated much higher in the future. Taylor has been an absolute champion but 2020 will be his last season. Tuohy is unlikely to improve dramatically at 30 years of age. Kolodjashnij and Bews are, well, Kolodjashnij and Bews.

Our game plan and “team” based defensive approach is largely responsible for us having conceded the fewest points in 2019, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While 16th sounds a little harsh in isolation, it’s not a total shock considering the rankings are based solely on personnel. Based on current form (as a rough guide):

Stewart = A+
Blicavs = B+
Taylor = C+
Kolodjashnij = C+
Tuohy = C+
O’Connor = C+
Henry = C
Bews = C

O’Connor and Henry in particular have the potential to be rated much higher in the future. Taylor has been an absolute champion but 2020 will be his last season. Tuohy is unlikely to improve dramatically at 30 years of age. Kolodjashnij and Bews are, well, Kolodjashnij and Bews.

Our game plan and “team” based defensive approach is largely responsible for us having conceded the fewest points in 2019, IMO. That’s not to say there is anything wrong with that approach either.

I think the only way you can rate the way you have is if it's skewed with a bias towards offensive output. Aside for Stewart they are fantasy duds but I'd back every one of them to win their one on one battle, and for the most part they did exactly that last season.

I'm not too sure we had a defensive approach either as we had the 2nd highest points for last season. It was definately turgid coming out of defense, I agree there, but if anything I think our midfield setup was too attacking, and while our forwards applied pressure they found plenty of goals.

I think the only way you can rate the way you have is if it's skewed with a bias towards offensive output. Aside for Stewart they are fantasy duds but I'd back every one of them to win their one on one battle, and for the most part they did exactly that last season.

I'm not too sure we had a defensive approach either as we had the 2nd highest points for last season. It was definately turgid coming out of defense, I agree there, but if anything I think our midfield setup was too attacking, and while our forwards applied pressure they found plenty of goals.

I thought I was fair and objective with my ratings. Perhaps I was a little harsh on a few. How would you rate them out of interest?

We were ultra defensive with our setups throughout the year. Our efficiency when we did go forward was unbelievable (and unsustainable), in the first half of the season. Our scores working backwards from the preliminary final were 66, 88, 51, 129 (Carlton), 74, 69, 61, 107, 61, 84, 55, 96 and 56 (after the bye). These low scores coincided with our form slump in the second half of the season.

Last edited:
I thought I was fair and objective with my ratings. Perhaps I was a little harsh on a few. How would you rate them out of interest?

We were ultra defensive with our setups throughout the year. Our efficiency when we did go forward was unbelievable (and unsustainable), in the first half of the season. Our scores working backwards from the preliminary final were 66, 88, 51, 129 (Carlton), 74, 69, 61, 107, 61, 84, 55, 96 and 56 (after the bye). These low scores coincided with our form slump in the second half of the season.

It's not even worth thinking about.
15 teams have a better defence than us?
BS.

At this stage... Lol will change over again

B Occonor Blitz Henry
HB Stewart Taylor Kolo
W Duncan Constable Stevens
HF Parfitt Esava Miers
F Ablett Hawkins Dahlhaus
R Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
Int Jenkins, Menegola, Clark, Cockatoo,

Emg Atkins, Guthrie, Bews, Tuhoy

IV said it before, but would love to see Atkins play as our Tagger, it would suit him and his game plan, as I think we need to look at bringing in the Ling Tagger.

Dam it.... I forgot Narkle 🤦🏻‍♂️
That can win a flag on its day. Back 6 needs a line-breaker though.

Jack Henry was last year's player came from no where.
Gryan Miers was this year's..
Who will be 2020 be?
Taheny. Proven against men as an 18yo. Watch out with a preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is one thing Steven will love he will be 3rd or maybe even 4th mid looked at for tags instead of the undisputed number 1 he was at the Saints

I would have Danger/Joel at 1 and 2 with Duncan ahead of him as well for tags/attention and depending on his form and such others may be ahead of him to
Um Joel isnt a midfielder any more. He is a flanker. Duncan is a wingman. Steven's if fit is our number 2 mid.

Clark's a wingman.

He's really not, lol. We just played him there this year, for his development. His natural position (as he stated during his draft interview), is as a line breaking attacking defender. He may play wing, mid or even forward, but his 'actual' position is as a rebounding half-back.

He's really not, lol. We just played him there this year, for his development. His natural position (as he stated during his draft interview), is as a line breaking attacking defender. He may play wing, mid or even forward, but his 'actual' position is as a rebounding half-back.
Nah he is a better winger. Didnt find enough of the ball in defence and was too loose defensively. Was much better when moved up the field.

Nah he is a better winger. Didnt find enough of the ball in defence and was too loose defensively. Was much better when moved up the field.

Mmm, I guess so. I think with more training back there, he could develop nicely. With that said, I'd rather see him as a full time mid eventually, given his traits

Most likely line up
Henry Blicavs Kolo
Stewart Taylor Tuohy
Guthrie Constable Duncan
Dahlhaus Hawkins Miers
Rohan Ratagolea Ablett
Stanley Dangerfield Steven
Selwood Parfitt Clark Menegola

A preferred more dynamic line up
Henry Blicavs O'Connor
Stewart Kolo Rohan
Clark Constable Duncan
Miers Hawkins Cockatoo
Ablett Ratagolea Kreuger
Selwood Narkle Parfitt Dahlhaus
Em: Taylor Guthrie Tuohy Menegola Jenkins

Most likely line up
Henry Blicavs Kolo
Stewart Taylor Tuohy
Guthrie Constable Duncan
Dahlhaus Hawkins Miers
Rohan Ratagolea Ablett
Selwood Parfitt Clark Menegola

A preferred more dynamic line up
Henry Blicavs O'Connor
Stewart Kolo Rohan
Clark Constable Duncan
Miers Hawkins Cockatoo
Ablett Ratagolea Kreuger
Selwood Narkle Parfitt Dahlhaus
Em: Taylor Guthrie Tuohy Menegola Jenkins
We might see both teams at times during the year.

Who's in, who's unlucky? Your club's best 22 for round one

GEELONG

Tim Kelly's off-season departure to West Coast leaves a massive hole in the midfield, but the Cats will be banking on recruit Jack Steven (pictured below) recapturing the form that saw him win four best and fairests at St Kilda. There is no room for the Cats' other acquisition in the Telstra AFL Trade Period with former Crow Josh Jenkins behind Esava Ratugolea and Rhys Stanley in the pecking order. Gary Rohan is another unlucky omission, but the coaching staff love Tom Atkins' tackling pressure and Quinton Narkle's ability to go through the midfield gives him the nod over the former Swan. The Cats have plenty of options waiting in the wings with Charlie Constable, Sam Menegola and Jed Bews all on the cusp, while Nakia Cockatoo will be tough to leave out if he completes an injury-free pre-season, but that's a big if. – Ben Sutton

B: Tom Stewart, Mark Blicavs, Jake Kolodjashnij
HB: Mark O'Connor, Harry Taylor, Zach Tuohy
C: Mitch Duncan, Joel Selwood, Jordan Clark
HF: Luke Dahlhaus, Esava Ratugolea, Brandan Parfitt
F: Gryan Miers, Tom Hawkins, Gary Ablett
Foll: Rhys Stanley, Patrick Dangerfield, Jack Steven
I/C: Cameron Guthrie, Tom Atkins, Jack Henry, *Quinton Narkle

DEPTH
Defenders:
Jed Bews, Sam De Koning, Zach Guthrie, Lachie Henderson, Ben Jarvis, Stefan Okunbor
Midfielders: Oscar Brownless, *Charlie Constable, Jacob Kennerley, Sam Menegola, James Parsons, Sam Simpson, *Cooper Stephens
Forwards: Brad Close, Nakia Cockatoo, Francis Evans, Lachie Fogarty, Josh Jenkins, *Nathan Kreuger, Gary Rohan, Blake Schlensog, *Cameron Taheny, Jake Tarca
Rucks: Darcy Fort

https://www.afl.com.au/news/267006/who-s-in-who-s-unlucky-your-club-s-best-22-for-round-one

I am of the conviction that if there are not a few more changes to the side than last year, then I cannot see Geelong improving on last seasons performance. I.e. there needs to be a number 1st and 2nd years recruits (I include Narkle due to losing a season with an knee injury) push into the best 22 for Geelong to improve.

Last edited:
Little bit different:

FB: O’Connor Blicavs Touhy
HB: Stewart Kolo Selwood
C: Duncan Constable Clarke
HF: Ablett Ratugolea Steven
FF: Miers Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Dangerfield Fogarty
I/C: Dahlhaus C.Guthrie Taylor Cockatoo
  • Fogarty as tagger
  • Steven, Selwood, Guthrie and Cockatoo spending time in the middle
  • Touhy competing with Bews and Henry
  • Menegola, Narkle & Stephens competing with Fogarty and Constable and options if Cockatoo isn’t healthy.
  • Atkins, Krueger and Taheny competing with Rohan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back