List Mgmt. 2020 Best 25

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Best 25 according to Champion Data (ranking in brackets)...

B: Stewart (17) Blicavs (9) Henry (16)
HB: C.Guthrie (15) Taylor (13) Tuohy (10)
C: Duncan (6) Steven (8) Menegola (5)
HF: Ablett (2) Hawkins (3) Dahlhaus (12)
F: Rohan (18) Jenkins (14) Parfitt (11)
Foll: Stanley (7) Dangerfield (1) Selwood (4)
Int: Kolodjashnij (20) O'Connor (22) Miers (19) Bews (21)
Emerg: Clark (25) Ratugolea (24) Atkins (23)

Not sure whether to like or laugh

When Stewart is the lowest ranked of our defenders on the field then surely eyebrows need to be raised

Alright, before any games get under way, I'll have a crack.

B: O'Connor, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Tuohy
C: Steven, Dangerfield, C. Guthrie
HF: Atkins, Jenkins, Dahlhaus
F: Miers, Hawkins, Rohan

R: Stanley, Duncan, Parfitt

Int: Ratugolea, Selwood, Ablett, Clark

Emg: Kolodjashnij, Menegola, Narkle and Bews

Reserves:

B: Bews, Kolodjashnij, Black #
HB: Z. Guthrie, Schlensog, Kennerley
C: Brownless, Constable, Parsons
HF: Menegola, Kreuger, Simpson
F: Tarca, Henderson, Cockatoo

R: Fort, Narkle, Fogarty

Int: De Koning, Jarvis, Stephens, Evans, Taheny, Close, Okunbor

- Ablett, Taylor and Selwood only play 15-18 H&A games each. Ease the reliance, get more games in the younger ones, and hopefully have them fresher later in the season.
- Kolodjashnij's hip injury, plus my belief he is behind Blicavs, Taylor, Stewart and Henry as a key/third-tall/sweeping half-back defender means he only plays in case of injury and regular Taylor rests. However, he is one of Scott's favourites, so unfortunately I see us going in with 8 defenders each week again like 2019.
- As Duncan briefly mentioned this week, he thinks he will play a bit more on-ball in 2020, and I hope so. 2019's joint on-ball pairing of Dangerfield's see ball-get ball-tonk ball approach and Kelly's smooth-moving and pin-point approach worked well for us. I'd like Duncan to be Kelly's on-ball replacement, as he should complement Dangerfield like Kelly did, and better than Steven, who is another see ball-get ball-tonk ball player. I recall Duncan having some really strong on-ball games in the mid-2010s before Dangerfield and Ablett joined us. I'd like to see Dangerfield and Steven get out of each other's way because of their similar approach to the game; one playing on-ball and the other deep forward, and switching them around within games.
- Even after all of these years, still unsure of C. Guthrie's best position for us, hence just being plonked on a wing. I'm sick of him being played as a part-time tagger. He's one that needs to be given a clear role. Wouldn't mind him tried as a defensive half-forward: loves to tackle, quick, good kick for goal. Possibly switch around with Atkins.
- I love Atkins' role in our team, but he has to hit the scoreboard twice as often as he did last year, unless he plays more midfield, and tagging (like he did in the twos).
- Parfitt frustrates me, as he's another Scott favourite. It bugs me that his previous number 3 wearer was made to toil away and earn his position in the VFL under Thompson (this period having a big influence on Bartel becoming a star). I know he's young and still developing, but he needs to be given one position and stick to it. I see similarities with Stokes, in that he's clever when close to goal, but can't kick over a jam tin and is not quick. For me, he's either a forward pocket or a defensively-minded on-baller. I wouldn't mind seeing him becoming our full-time tagger.
- I want us to try out the three-tall forward line, but really not sure it will work (as Rohan often played as the third-tall last year, which worked well for us when he was firing).
- Very concerned with our lack of a proper ruckman on the list. With Smith and Abbott gone, I don't see Stanley, Fort, Ratugolea or Jenkins as genuine ruckmen; they're all ruck-forwards, or forward-rucks. If they're going to go with Plan G, and put Blicavs in the ruck again, do it mid-year for an extended period of time, not in Round 22 again.
- Menegola, Narkle and Bews are unlucky to get in the Best 22, but as first emergencies, I see them still playing a lot of games in 2020.
- Constable, Simpson, Cockatoo and Fogarty should really be starring in the twos this year and putting pressure on the C. Guthrie, Rohan, Parfitt and Atkins types.

2020 Best 25 according to Champion Data (ranking in brackets)...

B: Stewart (17) Blicavs (9) Henry (16)
HB: C.Guthrie (15) Taylor (13) Tuohy (10)
C: Duncan (6) Steven (8) Menegola (5)
HF: Ablett (2) Hawkins (3) Dahlhaus (12)
F: Rohan (18) Jenkins (14) Parfitt (11)
Foll: Stanley (7) Dangerfield (1) Selwood (4)
Int: Kolodjashnij (20) O'Connor (22) Miers (19) Bews (21)
Emerg: Clark (25) Ratugolea (24) Atkins (23)

Feels pretty light on for midfielders.

My round 1 lineup - taking injuries into account but assume Duncan doesn’t get up

HB. Bews. Blicavs. Stewart
HB. Henry. Taylor. Clark
C. Guthrie. Danger. Touhy
Hf. Miers. Esava. Ablett
Ff. Close. Hawkins. Rohan
Foll. Stanley. Selwood. Narkle
Int. Jenkins. Parfitt. Dahl. Atkins

Emg. Menegola. Constable. Fogarty

Last edited:
My round 1 lineup - taking injuries into account but assume Duncan doesn’t get up

HB. Bews. Blicavs. Stewart
HB. Henry. Taylor. Clark
C. Guthrie. Danger. Touhy
Hf. Miers. Esava. Ablett
Ff. Close. Hawkins. Rohan
Foll. Stanley. Selwood. Narkle
Int. Jenkins. Selwood. Dahl. Atkins

Emg. Parfitt (unlucky). Menegola. Constable

Is Scott Selwood back at the club, or does Joel have a doppelganger? ;)

Is Scott Selwood back at the club, or does Joel have a doppelganger? ;)

Troy is still at the club isn't he?

Not sure what playing condition he is in though

Hi guys. Long time listener first time caller.

What roles do you have pegged for Cam Guthrie and to a lesser extent Gryan Miers. In a deep and complex fantasy keeper league but the TL;DR is I can keep three out of four of

Guthrie (13th rnd)

Miers
Rowbottom (Syd)
Zurhaar (NM)
For a 26th.

So it's probably one of the two cats that have to go given Rowbottom/Zurhaar projections. Can keep players for up to 3 years at 2 rounds earlier each year (16 pol league max keep 8 DT scoring so effeciency irrelevant)

Do you guys think Miers can get midfield minutes the next few years, and is Guthrie a chance to end up in a back pocket anytime soon.

Thanks, and goodluck this year, you guys deserve another flag or GF for this era (not at our expense though :) )

Hi guys. Long time listener first time caller.

What roles do you have pegged for Cam Guthrie and to a lesser extent Gryan Miers. In a deep and complex fantasy keeper league but the TL;DR is I can keep three out of four of

Guthrie (13th rnd)

Miers
Rowbottom (Syd)
Zurhaar (NM)
For a 26th.

So it's probably one of the two cats that have to go given Rowbottom/Zurhaar projections. Can keep players for up to 3 years at 2 rounds earlier each year (16 pol league max keep 8 DT scoring so effeciency irrelevant)

Do you guys think Miers can get midfield minutes the next few years, and is Guthrie a chance to end up in a back pocket anytime soon.

Thanks, and goodluck this year, you guys deserve another flag or GF for this era (not at our expense though :) )

Miers is a goer...huge tank and footy smarts in abundance. Already covers a lot of ground from his half forward position and well placed to develop his skills and get more midfield time..

I doubt there is one person on this Board who would suggest a Cam Guthrie move into a back pocket...little or no chance of that IMO...

Team I think will be named for the first final in September.

B: Oconnor, Blicavs, kolo
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Clark
C: Cockatoo, Narkle, Parfitt
HF: Krueger, Jenkins, Ablett
FF: Miers, Hawkins, Dahlhaus
R: Ratugolea, Dangerfield, Duncan
IB: Steven, C Guthrie, Selwood, Rohan

noticeable omissions - Tuohy, who
I really still think can play, but Clark plays that role. Menegola will play, but when there’s injuries. Same for Henderson, Bews and Atkins. Krueger will be the first year player they persist with and give games to
I think. But that side above would beat most AFL teams most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm kinda hoping we keep Clark as a HBF. I suspect they will try to play him as an Outside Midfielder on the wing.

He just reads the ball so well for intercept marking and will give us a lot of rebound speed from the back-line. I think his best position is a HBF.

I really still think can play, but Clark plays that role. Menegola will play, but when there’s injuries. Same for Henderson, Bews and Atkins. Krueger will be the first year player they persist with and give games to
Don't mind that side, although I just don't think Ratugolea would excel as a ruckman. He is okay at pinch-hitting in the ruck imho.

Agree we absolutely need Clark at hbf.

His reading of the play and delivery out of defense will set up way more goals than on a wing.

We don’t have another attacking defender apart from Stewart.

Agree we absolutely need Clark at hbf.

His reading of the play and delivery out of defense will set up way more goals than on a wing.

We don’t have another attacking defender apart from Stewart.

Tuohy used to be that, before he got injured and forgot how to football. Maybe he'll get that back and we can move him up to a wing instead.

This is literally the exactly side I want...like no s**t...exactly the same side. Atkins/Menegola can take C. Guthrie or Rohan's spot (most likely Cocky's) if not good enough, and Kreuger playing at the expense of Stanley and shifting Rata into the ruck, is exactly what we need.

Really? I am excited to see how Narkle continues to improve, and I think he'll play alot of footy this year. But Parfitt is streets ahead, and plays quite differently anyway. I doubt parfitt will ever be dropped for Narkle.
im not sure I would say Narkle has passsed Parfitt yet - Both are good and will get better - but I need to see moe defensive work from Narkle befire id say he's passed PArfitt - and with Parfitt yet to play this year... too early to call.

GO Catters

Really? I am excited to see how Narkle continues to improve, and I think he'll play alot of footy this year. But Parfitt is streets ahead, and plays quite differently anyway. I doubt parfitt will ever be dropped for Narkle.

I, for one, have huge belief in both of them. They are vital pieces in this team going forward, and I believe our best 22 has both of them in it already.

Despite their differing strengths, their best as individuals is really high quality. And I am looking forward to seeing plenty of that from both this year.

Quinton just about the best for us on Saturday night. And Parf was supposedly the stand-out in the match sim at the club on Friday.

Breakout seasons from both would be massive for us in 2020. And, given their innate footy abilities, they're more than capable of it if they do all the hard yards.

After all, talent is clearly not in question with either of them.

I, for one, have huge belief in both of them. They are vital pieces in this team going forward, and I believe our best 22 has both of them in it already.

Despite their differing strengths, their best as individuals is really high quality. And I am looking forward to seeing plenty of that from both this year.

Quinton just about the best for us on Saturday night. And Parf was supposedly the stand-out in the match sim at the club on Friday.

Breakout seasons from both would be massive for us in 2020. And, given their innate footy abilities, they're more than capable of it if they do all the hard yards.

After all, talent is clearly not in question with either of them.

I question the talent of both of them.

Both are average kicks, neither is particularly quick, and both are undersized for an AFL midfielder at 6'0 and 80kgs. The best thing they have going for them is their agility and that they are young. But I don't see either becoming elite players, they simply don't win enough inside ball for the positions they play.

I question the talent of both of them.

Both are average kicks, neither is particularly quick, and both are undersized for an AFL midfielder at 6'0 and 80kgs. The best thing they have going for them is their agility and that they are young. But I don't see either becoming elite players, they simply don't win enough inside ball for the positions they play.

I won't quibble on your assessment of their kicking skills. But I think pace is often overrated when it comes to footy around the contest. What is required is smarts to know where to be, clean hands when you get the footy, and agility and evasiveness to work your way out of trouble to enact a clean disposal.

I see both of them as quite strong in those areas. And they can certainly continue to build their bodies to win more of the ball in a contested sense. So I still hold out hope for them both to be really useful players. Parf is already quite effective defensively as well, and this is undoubtedly an area that Quinton will have to work on if he is to become a truly rounded player.

Elite, though? Maybe not. Still, for players taken at 26 and 60, I don't know that elite was ever extremely likely to be their destiny. Key and consistent contributors to the team over the coming years is more what I envisage for them. And I think they are tracking fine for that at this point in their development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back