MVP 2020 Best & Fairest - Thursday 29th October 7.30pm start

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems Powell-Peppers hardness and endeavor doesn't count for much with the coaches.

No disrespect to our winner and his fellow defenders but Port Adelaide seem to be striving to singlehandedly right the wrongs of over 100 years of bias towards midfielders and forwards.

We are the golden fist club and I for one am proud.

Also I thought SPP might poll higher too.

Well done DBJ. What a story. Start of 2019 and the member convention has one of the coaches talk about how DBJ is your consistent 7 out of 10 player and will never be any better than that. 2 years later and he's been top 2 in the B&F and won it the next year, as well as making the AA team. Way to show that coach (think it was Schofield)

It was Montgomery

Dixon was pretty bad towards the end of the season but 9th in the b and f? That’s probably more surprising than DBJ winning it to be honest.

I thought in no particular order the clear top 5 would’ve been boak, DBJ, Jonas, wines and Dixon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where did he finish? I’ve only seen the top 10, and despite SPP having a good year I don’t think he was in the top 10. Just outside top 10 would make sense?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think they only posted the top 10.

Not really surprised Byrne-Jones won it. He polled well last year and he went up another level again this year.

5 players in the top ten under 26 (Byrne-Jones, Butters, Wines, Houston, Amon), with Butters in the top five.

Interestingly the only player from our defence who didn’t make top ten but played most games was Hartlett. Jonas, McKenzie, Houston, Byrne-Jones all polled well and all over 110 votes. Hartlett will be in the 90s at best. Bonner and Burton didn’t play enough games to poll that well.

Power shifts more quickly than some people think. Maybe Jones will be playing R1 after all.

Absolutely gobsmacked.
Boak should have been a runaway winner imho. Darcy I would have been happy to see a respectable second, not romping it in in a landsllde!!!
FMD what do those coaches see at times?
Maybe explains why we keep failing in finals, but ..... whatever.

Notwithstanding that, congrats to the lad. Great story. Rags to riches. Love the way he plays. True Port style of player.
My missus loathes him for some reason - not sure why, maybe his hairstyle? Think she saw him make consecutive clangers once, and wiped him off as useless, now that I recollect :p:D

Top nine on the night I am good with, even if the order was a bit "whacko". Only one I question was Rocky - only played a handful of adequate games. Replace him with SPP or Duursma, and it's about right.

Great to see Hoff get an award. McKenzie too - another feel good story.

Didn't see the live feed. Seems the consensus was that the event was somewhat underwhelming for the 150th year?
Maybe Kane Cornes as MC could could have electrified things :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a long road to this moment for DBJ, was part of the 21 that played in the 2014 SANFL Grand Final.

Amon and Clurey the only other 2 still around from that game.
28f43e92b930a3a77c376d7c44bad682

Pretty gobsmacked at the result, but very happy for DBJ. I would have had him at fourth on my list, behind Boak, Butters and TJ (in that order). Has had a fantastic few years, now he just needs to make sure he gets some team success to go with the individual accolades.

McKenzie is incredible too - to go from where he was 12 months ago to top 5 in the b&f of the team that finished 3rd in the comp puts him in the upper echelon of players in Australia.

We have to stop rewarding good role players and start rewarding match winners.
If you think DBJ was just a good role player this year I’m not sure what games you were watching.

Not bad for a Pick 52. I remember thinking a couple years in that he was more or less delist material and then before you know it he’s a 100 game All Australian Club Champion. Good on ya DBJ.
Geez we nail our picks in the 50's (Robbie was pick 55). Fantastic effort from DBJ: I'm very happy for him.

Now for redemption in 2021.

Travis Boak AA vice captain, 2nd in the brownlow, 2nd in the AFLPA MVP, 2nd in the B&F. Really stiff for him.

People always say that so many of these awards are midfield medals.

Personally I’m not stressed that a defender wins a best and fairest as often their contribution is overlooked for the possession count of midfielders.

We have to stop rewarding good role players and start rewarding match winners.

Well done dbj

I’d have thought the more good role players we have the more chance we have of winning something. Unfortunately our so called match winners never seem to turn up when needed.

Finals award really depends on how it was delivered. I have no problem with Ollie being commended for a great finals series, and he honestly deserves recognition for how he's gone about it this year - after the drama and the loss of the co-captaincy he's approached everything with maturity and looks like he is becoming the leader we've always wanted him to be.

The only issue is the mission accomplished type s**t that certain people have been speaking (to be fair a lot of this comes from outside Port people). We blew an opportunity this year and should be angry and wanting to make amends, not patting ourselves on the back for getting close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back