Competitions 2020 Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, here we go. I've been looking forward to this.

I have done my research and I'm finding this year particularly difficult to evaluate.

For mine there's a clear top 2 in this draft. The Hyphens sit head and shoulders above all other prospects this year and outside of them you can throw a blanket over a heap.

As a result my rankings are probably a bit different to most and whilst I'm not as invested picking for GWS as I was last year for Carlton (I really should have backed myself in and taken Philp and Honey) I'm not quite prepared to go for a bolter with a pick as high as 11.

GWS need to once again replenish their midfield but to be honest I'm not in love with any of the mids talked about as going in this range and I think with my next picks I can look to that area of the ground. I'm all about value and I think there's plenty of it around.

So I'm going tall here because not only do the Giants need to bolster their midfield but they also need to look to their defensive key position stocks. Davis is a club stalwart and a warrior but he's injury prone and getting on now. Corr has just left. Keeffe is big but I don't rate him at all.

It's slim pickings and I actually am semi expecting the Giants to look to move up the order on draft night if DGB is still available around pick 4/5.

Instead though I'll go a guy who I rate in that 5-10 bracket and who could be anything. I've sort of pigeon-holed him as a defender but the reality is he's so raw that he could be developed to play just about anywhere on the park.

His disposal and movement is terrific for someone of 200cm but he's very raw and needs a few years to fill out and settle into a position I feel.

But the talent is clearly there so I'll jump on him as clearly the best tall remaining on the board IMO.

I think probably North and Fremantle don't pick him before my next pick but I won't take that risk here.

Pick 11: GWS - Nik Cox

Next up Coona Blues with North Melbourne.

I think it'd be Pick 12 Jeremias

OK, here we go. I've been looking forward to this.

I have done my research and I'm finding this year particularly difficult to evaluate.

For mine there's a clear top 2 in this draft. The Hyphens sit head and shoulders above all other prospects this year and outside of them you can throw a blanket over a heap.

As a result my rankings are probably a bit different to most and whilst I'm not as invested picking for GWS as I was last year for Carlton (I really should have backed myself in and taken Philp and Honey) I'm not quite prepared to go for a bolter with a pick as high as 11.

GWS need to once again replenish their midfield but to be honest I'm not in love with any of the mids talked about as going in this range and I think with my next picks I can look to that area of the ground. I'm all about value and I think there's plenty of it around.

So I'm going tall here because not only do the Giants need to bolster their midfield but they also need to look to their defensive key position stocks. Davis is a club stalwart and a warrior but he's injury prone and getting on now. Corr has just left. Keeffe is big but I don't rate him at all.

It's slim pickings and I actually am semi expecting the Giants to look to move up the order on draft night if DGB is still available around pick 4/5.

Instead though I'll go a guy who I rate in that 5-10 bracket and who could be anything. I've sort of pigeon-holed him as a defender but the reality is he's so raw that he could be developed to play just about anywhere on the park.

His disposal and movement is terrific for someone of 200cm but he's very raw and needs a few years to fill out and settle into a position I feel.

But the talent is clearly there so I'll jump on him as clearly the best tall remaining on the board IMO.

I think probably North and Fremantle don't pick him before my next pick but I won't take that risk here.

Pick 12: GWS - Nik Cox

Next up Coona Blues with North Melbourne.
:madv1:

Was really hoping you wouldn't do that :D was starting to hope for an early Christmas present.
A couple of names for me now, and I have to go out for a couple of hours soon so might just, for the sake of realism....
North Melbourne - Bid on Lachie Jones

Eiffel 65

Port Adelaide match North Melbourne's bid for Lachie Jones.

Port see Jones as great long term prospect to work in tandem with Xavier Duursma across half back.

He's ready to go and will provide immediate impact with his size, physicality and penetrating kick out of the back half.

Back to you Coona Blues

Back from the dentist (crown- not good fun) and the beach (was good)

Pick 14 - North Melbourne - Heath Chapman

Interceptor, undersized KPD, great athletic profile. Likes to rebound with a penetrating and highly effective kick. Tarrant in his twilight, journeyman
Walker and emerging Ben McKay provide the big boys. Emerging youngsters Hayden and Perez teaming with experienced MacDonald and Atley gives
the Kangas a great defensive base.

TENACIOUS over to you

Last edited:
With needs like, Nik Cox gone and others a reach at Pick 15 Fremantle have gone for best available

Pick 15 - Fremantle - Tanner Bruhn
Geelong Falcons
Height: 183cm
Weight: 74kg

Pure medium midfielder who starred for Victoria Country in the 2018 Under-16 National Championships averaging 17.3 disposals and winning both its MVP award and All-Australian honours. He reads the game exceptionally well and has very good fundamentals with his clean hands, strength overhead along with his ball use by hand and foot. An excellent contested ball winner

Others Considered - Local Lad O'Driscoll more of a defender, Macrae and other secret picks

Over to you Jeremias

If you think back to last year's phantom draft you'll probably remember I wasn't particularly happy with how things transpired.

I was huge on Philp but didn't have a pick suitable for him, and I think it was Coona Blues who swooped on Honey when I was letting him slide, certain nobody else was going near him.

Put simply...I'm not making the same mistake this year. And even with a few picks here in quick succession I'm not willing to hold off and risk my guy being taken from under my nose. Not again.

As I said at my last pick I think there are to standout prospects in this draft. Beyond them though there's a large group and they're all pretty hard to separate.

I took a tall with my first but did mention I'd be looking to replenish the GWS midfield. But there's one problem with that...I'm not overly keen on a lot of the mids being taken in this range. Campbell is clearly the best of them IMO but he's tied to the Swans.

Yeah I can put a name down and they're names we've all read plenty of times now but I just don't see the upside with them that others do.

Instead I'm going to trust my gut and pick a guy who I believe has all the tools to be one of the best players in this draft, and certainly one of the best mids to come out of it.

May be seen as a bit of a reach but he's going late first - second round in most mocks now I reckon.

I look forward to reviewing a few years down the track to see how accurate or far off I was here.

With pick 16 GWS selects "my guy" in the 2021 draft: Caleb Poulter.

RoyalParade next up with Collingwood's first selection.

If you think back to last year's phantom draft you'll probably remember I wasn't particularly happy with how things transpired.

I was huge on Philp but didn't have a pick suitable for him, and I think it was Coona Blues who swooped on Honey when I was letting him slide, certain nobody else was going near him.

Put simply...I'm not making the same mistake this year. And even with a few picks here in quick succession I'm not willing to hold off and risk my guy being taken from under my nose. Not again.

As I said at my last pick I think there are to standout prospects in this draft. Beyond them though there's a large group and they're all pretty hard to separate.

I took a tall with my first but did mention I'd be looking to replenish the GWS midfield. But there's one problem with that...I'm not overly keen on a lot of the mids being taken in this range. Campbell is clearly the best of them IMO but he's tied to the Swans.

Yeah I can put a name down and they're names we've all read plenty of times now but I just don't see the upside with them that others do.

Instead I'm going to trust my gut and pick a guy who I believe has all the tools to be one of the best players in this draft, and certainly one of the best mids to come out of it.

May be seen as a bit of a reach but he's going late first - second round in most mocks now I reckon.

I look forward to reviewing a few years down the track to see how accurate or far off I was here.

Excellent pick, wouldn't be surprised to see him go around this mark on draft night.

After the build-up, i thought we were gonna get a Blaine Boekhorst type selection lol.

But Poulter around there is more than reasonable if you're an admirer. There will be plenty of divergence on even the pro's boards this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have another pick before the Dees enter the draft; he was never getting to you! :)

Excellent pick, wouldn't be surprised to see him go around this mark on draft night.

Yeah I think so too. Does a lot right. Such an intriguing prospect.

Not a good fit for Carlton so I'm not going to advocate trading up to get him (as I did with Philp last year) but someone might get one hell of a prospect here.

After the build-up, i thought we were gonna get a Blaine Boekhorst type selection lol.

But Poulter around there is more than reasonable if you're an admirer. There will be plenty of divergence on even the pro's boards this year.

Sorry to disappoint. :p

I was considering Poulter at the first Giants' pick but thought he's much more likely to last a few more selections than Cox.

Turns out I was right.

Jimmae spreadsheet update please.
You should check the sheet before you post. :p

Just logged in a little while ago and updated everything.

Braden Campbell bid match from Sydney: gave up 33, 36, 40; got back 7, 58, 97

Lachie Jones bid match from Port Adelaide: gave up 34, 42, 53; got back 13, 56, 97

Hey guys, so sorry I've been doing a mic of arvo and night shift during this crazy Christmas peak season and forgot about it!!

Ok, so I feel the pies are screaming out for a target down forward. With a couple of picks in the 1st round, and with an NGA up my sleeve, I'm taking a calculated risk here and selecting Baldwin.

Time for the Giants' third pick and I'll take a player who I feel is a pretty safe selection here.

Whilst he is not the highest ranked player left on my board, this is definitely his range (I have him ranked 10-20) and I feel he's clearly the least likely of the players I'm looking at to last to my next selection.

He may not be the most skilled player in this draft class but he's a bloody hard worker who is also pretty decent athletically and I feel as though through sheer will alone he'll be able to make a decent career for himself.

With pick 18 GWS selects Nathan O'Driscoll.

Back to RoyalParade for Collingwood's second selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back