Competitions 2020 Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We, in the Adelaide recruiting team are shocked that we these two players - who we rated Top 10 ;) - are both available.

26 - Zane Trew
27 - Tom Powell

Both are solid, reliable mids, who can rack up disposals. Both have tidy skills and should develop into half-decent onballers at AFL level. Trew being a WA maybe helps McDonald settle in to SA life. Powell is a local.

Pick 28 - Hawthorn - Eddie Ford

I really thought I would get a 'slider' here, but selections have been much less left-field than I expected.

I was VERY close to bidding on Brandon Walker, whom I really like... but between Day, Scrimshaw, Sicily and Impey (post-ACL), I think rebounding defender is a (the only?) position Hawks have good young depth.

Coona Blues - for some reason I decided against bidding on Downie here ;)

So, enough with the waffle (mmmmmm.....waffles, *drool*).....

I pick Eddie Ford.

He's a medium forward, with an elite leap, good speed, nice agility and a great set of hands. Will take plenty of hangars too, to add some entertainment value.

He spent stints outside F50 last year, but is not a proven midfielder/dual position player (yet). He didn't make the champs, but apparently wasn't far off and averaged 14 touches playing HFF as a 17yo, which is not too shabby. It would have been nice to see him get some proper midfield time in 2020, but without that I have to select him primarily as a forward, with the ability for brief midfield stints.

I feel he's a bit hit and miss. He's not the most consistent player, but is capable of great footy - as seen in Q1 of last year's U17s all stars (8 touches, 2 goals). He has a lot of tools and huge upside, but at this point I can't tell if he's the next Nat Fyfe or Troy Menzel. It should be noted, he seems to play with more intensity than Menzel.

I think he's a good fit for Hawthorn. He could be a long-term replacement for Gunston/Bruest (broadly speaking) and could pair nicely with my earlier pick Thilthorpe for many years to come (let's hope not)

So now its time for pick 29..... HARKER! Who goes there? :)

I really thought I would get a 'slider' here, but selections have been much less left-field than I expected.

I was VERY close to bidding on Brandon Walker, whom I really like... but between Day, Scrimshaw, Sicily and Impey (post-ACL), I think rebounding defender is a (the only?) position Hawks have good young depth.

I pick Eddie Ford.

He's a medium forward, with an elite leap, good speed, nice agility and a great set of hands. Will take plenty of hangars too, to add some entertainment value.

He spent stints outside F50 last year, but is not a proven midfielder/dual position player (yet). He didn't make the champs, but apparently wasn't far off and averaged 14 touches playing HFF as a 17yo, which is not too shabby. It would have been nice to see him get some proper midfield time in 2020, but without that I have to select him primarily as a forward, with the ability for brief midfield stints.

I feel he's a bit hit and miss. He's not the most consistent player, but is capable of great footy - as seen in Q1 of last year's U17s all stars (8 touches, 2 goals). He has a lot of tools and huge upside, but at this point I can't tell if he's the next Nat Fyfe or Troy Menzel. It should be noted, he seems to play with more intensity than Menzel.

I think he's a good fit for Hawthorn. He could be a long-term replacement for Gunston/Bruest (broadly speaking) and could pair nicely with my earlier pick Thilthorpe for many years to come (let's hope not)

So now its time for pick 29.....@Harker! Who goes there? :)

Really like Ford, great pick

Brisbane were happy to move out of the first 20 in this draft ,trading away the two picks they had there, in order to go into next year with a better hand.
Reckon Brisbane are happy for a boom or bust player here and there's one that sticks out as being that type more than others.....but maybe I'll see if he's there at a later stage.

There were a couple of smalls Brisbane may be into but I feel that Brisbane will take on a player/s with points of difference and hand them over to their development department. Therefore.....and I didn't expect him to be here for that reason -

Brisbane select Eddie Ford with pick #29
Like I didn't see that coming..........FMD :)

There was another player I would have loved to have seen, but just couldn't pick him here, on profile only.
He's the opposite end of the spectrum to Andy - and nw I have to pick him....

Brisbane now select Zavier Maher @ #29

TerryWallet .....you're up and I didn't bid on your guy because.. :)

Jeremias , Jimmae , what do you want to do here. GC no longer have this pick. Do you want me to pick for the sake of things or let JB12 pick as he is doing Geelong?

I mean, it really should be Geelong picking.

I thought GC need an extra tall, and they do, but they've decided they can't do that this year. I would have picked Shannon Neale here as i think he is what their list needs and i like the look of his game. TDK'ish, and i think he's the pick of the Ruck/Forwards after Thilthorpe.

So, up to you guys. Neale would be my pick, but i'd say give it to JB.

I agree. Think we should try keep this as realistic as possible and the beauty of this format is we can adapt to change when it happens.

Done. Neale back in the pool.

JB12, you're up for The Chris Scott Over 25's.

Done. Neale back in the pool.

JB12, you're up for The Chris Scott Over 25's.

Over 25s? Whoa, when did Scott start playing kids?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pick Eddie Ford.

So now its time for pick 29..... HARKER! Who goes there? :)
The obvious slider. Well done! What took so bloody long?:p

We, in the Adelaide recruiting team are shocked that we these two players - who we rated Top 10 ;) - are both available.

26 - Zane Trew
27 - Tom Powell

Both are solid, reliable mids, who can rack up disposals. Both have tidy skills and should develop into half-decent onballers at AFL level. Trew being a WA maybe helps McDonald settle in to SA life. Powell is a local.

No idea how you ended up with Powell at 27.

Probably the steal of the draft so far.

Jeremias , Jimmae , what do you want to do here. GC no longer have this pick. Do you want me to pick for the sake of things or let JB12 pick as he is doing Geelong?

I mean, it really should be Geelong picking.

I thought GC need an extra tall, and they do, but they've decided they can't do that this year. I would have picked Shannon Neale here as i think he is what their list needs and i like the look of his game. TDK'ish, and i think he's the pick of the Ruck/Forwards after Thilthorpe.

So, up to you guys. Neale would be my pick, but i'd say give it to JB.
I agree. Think we should try keep this as realistic as possible and the beauty of this format is we can adapt to change when it happens.
Geelong were unable to convince Brad Ottens to come out of retirement, therefore Pick 30 - Max Heath
These trades were made after we started, and if that's the road we're going down, I'd have to restart the process all over again in terms of points and bids. There was also another trade for a pick prior to this one, so it's just a slippery slope, same as live trading.

I'm not interested in doing any of that. I'll make this one change, but we had a snapshot, please use the snapshot.

Last edited:
I'll bid here on someone who I think outside JUH could be the best kid to come out of this draft who is tied to an academy.

GWS don't really need him but I had strongly considered putting a bid in at my last pick and think now Fremantle are getting off very lightly.

So I'll bid on him to keep the bastards honest.

Fremantle have two NGA boys projected to go in this range with most showing a slight preference towards Brandon Walker but it is actually the other who I think is the better talent.

And on talent I think he's every bit a first round consideration.

At pick 32 GWS puts in a bid for Joel Western.

TENACIOUS your response, please.

I'll bid here on someone who I think outside JUH could be the best kid to come out of this draft who is tied to an academy.

GWS don't really need him but I had strongly considered putting a bid in at my last pick and think now Fremantle are getting off very lightly.

So I'll bid on him to keep the bastards honest.

Fremantle have two NGA boys projected to go in this range with most showing a slight preference towards Brandon Walker but it is actually the other who I think is the better talent.

And on talent I think he's every bit a first round consideration.

At pick 32 GWS puts in a bid for Joel Western.

TENACIOUS your response, please.
To match, this would turn pick 35 into pick 32 and 61, but in the context of this phantom (no live trading), Freo's list will already be filled with pick 60, so it's just deleted.

EDIT: Apparently Fremantle have 6 list spots?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back