Competitions 2020 Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

49 - Nick Stevens

Mods, permission to swear filter that name on this board?

Last edited:
49 - Nick Stevens

Poor bastard.

Two picks left but still a few I'm interested in. Time to make a decision.

I've mostly stuck to my rankings but I'll go against them here because I think this guy is less likely to last until my next pick than some others I have ranked above him.

If I was drafting for need someone like Tom Highmore would come into contention as someone who could slot into a defensive role straight away and fill the hole left by Corr. Funnily enough he was overlooked by the Giants a few years back having been a part of their academy system.

But I'm going best available again as I have done for most of my previous picks.

I'm a real sucker for 'upside' in these mock drafts. It's why I was a little underwhelmed by the O'Driscoll pick despite it clearly being in his range.

A big indicator when it comes to upside is looking at those who have late birthdays. And this guy has a late one so he should have plenty of development left in him.

Pick 50 - Ryan Angwin

At 72kg there's not much of him but this guy won't die wondering. Has courage in spades and despite not being a prolific ball winner goes at 48% contested, which tells me there's plenty of fight in him.

Skills are good, as is his decision making. Really good athlete too - very good speed, excellent endurance base.

He's not playing senior footy early but chuck him in the right development system for a few years whilst he builds up his body and I can see him making the grade.

Might be a tad early but I don't see him getting through to the 80s or whenever my next pick is, but I'm pretty certain at least one of the others I'm looking at will.

Next up Eiffel 65

With pick 51 the Western Bulldogs place a bid on Tariek Newchurch.

Mitch Wallis filled the void as a small forward for the entirety of the 2020 season. Despite performing admirably, the Bulldogs do not see this as a long term solution.

In 2019, the Bulldogs drafted Cody Weightman who possesses strong aerial ability. In contrast, Newchurch looks most dangerous at ground level. The balance between Weightman's aerial ability and Newchurch's ground work is exactly what the Dogs are looking for and believe their games can compliment each other.

Newchurch has great speed, agility, evasivenss and x-factor. The knock on him is his consistency, which is not uncommon for small forwards, as well as his defensive pressure. The Dogs believe that in the right system, they can build up the defensive side of his game to become a well rounded small forward.

Does Blugazi match the bid?

With pick 51 the Western Bulldogs place a bid on Tariek Newchurch.

Mitch Wallis filled the void as a small forward for the entirety of the 2020 season. Despite performing admirably, the Bulldogs do not see this as a long term solution.

In 2019, the Bulldogs drafted Cody Weightman who possesses strong aerial ability. In contrast, Newchurch looks most dangerous at ground level. The balance between Weightman's aerial ability and Newchurch's ground work is exactly what the Dogs are looking for and believe their games can compliment each other.

Newchurch has great speed, agility, evasivenss and x-factor. The knock on him is his consistency, which is not uncommon for small forwards, as well as his defensive pressure. The Dogs believe that in the right system, they can build up the defensive side of his game to become a well rounded small forward.

Does Blugazi match the bid?
I'm not sure Adelaide actually have a list spot to take him at this point, so I suspect he's yours.

Jeremias can make the call.

Do I get my player?
Had a look over it, and they actually do have a list spot.

They were 38/6 this year, currently 31/3.

Would appreciate it if people checked their own teams to see where things are at and reported back here. Maximum senior list size in 2021 is 38, minimum 36.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a look over it, and they actually do have a list spot.

They were 38/6 this year, currently 31/3.

Would appreciate it if people checked their own teams to see where things are at and reported back here. Maximum senior list size in 2021 is 38, minimum 36.

One of those spots will go to Hately in the PSD, so I won't use it in the phantom.

That's it. Toys are out of the cot.
Was confident that Rosman would last and almost sure that Angwin would, to Brisbanes third pick....but not to be.
Angwin in particular sounds very appealing...although the name is a put-off....but he could be one of those guys that develops into an absolute beauty.

They may ultimately not work out but I'd be pretty happy should Carlton take a 'chance' on these types.
We don't need meat and potato footballers.

With my Carlton heart I would love Freo to take a Moore & John Barker package deal so Carlton don't re draft him... But will be serious :grinv1:

Fremantle's needs all draft have been a Ruck/Forward and the cupboard looks bare in that area now...
They are also in need of a winger as well..

Cannot believe this kid is still here, looks to have some serious upside

Fremantle Bid On - Carter Michael (Brisbane Academy)

Carter Michael is a Brisbane Lions Academy prospect who impressed during the Academy Series. He looks to base his game around Marcus Bontempelli given his comparable height and mobility, with his ability to accumulate and gain meterage on the rebound.

Michael’s greatest strength is his kicking, he has magnificent range and rarely misses a target. His ability to keep his kicks flat is exceptional, as this ensures they reach the target quickly and are difficult for the opposition to intercept. Michael is willing to bite off risky kicks through the corridor, which open up the game for his side and launch fast attacking play. From kick-outs, he usually goes long to clear the area and comfortably gets the ball 60 metres away from defensive goal. In general play, Michael works hard to facilitate switches and provide an attacking option for teammates. He gets handball receives on a regular basis because his teammates want to get the ball in his hands.

Michael has fantastic speed for his size (20m sprint: 2.91 seconds), so he is able to break away from opponents and provide run and carry through the middle of the ground. Sometimes his hard running goes unrewarded (2km time trial: 6:56)

Michael also spent time in the midfield and showed very promising signs. He won his share of contested ball, rarely fumbled, positioned himself well, used quick hands to release teammates, and applied strong tackling pressure.

His combination of size, speed, composure and ball-winning ability can make him very difficult to stop. There is no doubt that he could become a midfielder at senior level once he develops some more strength. He also has great balance in that area, able to play both inside and out.

Credit: AFL Draft Central

Over to you HARKER do you match the bid?

Sweet :smilev1:... With HARKER not matching bid...
Fremantle has picked all our 4 ND picks. We PASS on all further picks, will now take 2 spots in the rookie draft Jeremias Jimmae

Last edited:
You can't bid on him mate he is already pre-listed by GCS

Oh right...I don'k know. Gifts, gifts and more gifts to GC. What next?

Brisbane then take Lachlan Carrigan with #53
I haven't seen him but just going on profile, late birthday and a gut feel.

Sorry to wake you TerryWallet ...and over to you Eiffel 65

Port Adelaide select Liam McMahon with pick 54.

McMahon stands at 196cm and is known for his forward craft. Despite this, Port Adelaide have identified him as a player they'd like to train as a KPD.

Lack of height throughout the 2020 season made Port Adelaide vulnerable to taller forward lines. As such, the Power are looking to address this deficiency asap.

Over to you Arr0w

Remove this Banner Ad

Back