Opinion 2020 Changes

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he's going to leave I would rather it be this year so we can get 2 top 10 picks than next year when we might get nothing in return

I'd rather an extra year with him while Collingwood is in the Premiership window. It’s also an extra year to make cap room to make sure we do everything in our powers to retain him

Last edited:

30yearpie

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wouldn’t be surprised, I picked up on the frosty Grundy handshake he gave Bucks just after the Eagles win. If Grundy does leave we have to ensure we win that trade a rip the Crows for picks & players.
Jenkins, Crouch and 1st round pick

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
That backline is way too tall and slow and there’s no defender off the bench.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we want to stay in a window we have to rejig the age demographic, our top 25 moves past 12 o'clock next year if we change nothing, all you will see then is a gradual decline till we cut deep and have to do a full rebuild

If we go hard now we can save it:

Age next year:

Wells 35 (ret)
Dunn 33 (ret)
Goldy 33 (ret)
Pendles 32 (Hodge style trade)
Varcoe 32 (ret)
Mayne 31 (see out last year)
Greenwood 31 (ret)
Reid 31 (ret)
Beams 30 (Stick fat, he's quality)
Howe 30 (Stick fat, he's quality)
That's a lot of old guys! Made a lot of sense giving Beams a four year contract, didn't it?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's a lot of old guys! Made a lot of sense giving Beams a four year contract, didn't it?

I think it's a bit simplistic to look simply at the quantum. Every club has player 30 or older. As at today:

3 - Freo; GCS; Dees
4 - Bears; GWS; Port; Ess; WB; Cats; Nth, StK; Rich
5 - Blues; WCE
7 - Crows; Syd
8 - Pies
10 - Hawks

The more salient points are how many of them are best 22, how many are key players within that 22, are they easily replaced?

I'd argue only Pendles and Howe from that list are definitiely best 22 and key players. The remainder are fringe or depth players more easily replaced and we actually have replacements developing.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not sure the age of players matters if they aren’t going to be on the list next season.

Once Wells Dunn Varcoe Reid and Goldsack are gone (and it’s widely tipped that most if not all of them will retire) there’s no material “ top heaviness” in the age of the list.

Greenwood And Mayne have a year left in them and the rest have two or more.

With the arguable exception of adding beams to the list the age range is a non issue . Some fresh legs will be welcome as they are every year but the retiring players are fringe best 22 at best.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
I think it's a bit simplistic to look simply at the quantum. Every club has player 30 or older. As at today:

3 - Freo; GCS; Dees
4 - Bears; GWS; Port; Ess; WB; Cats; Nth, StK; Rich
5 - Blues; WCE
7 - Crows; Syd
8 - Pies
10 - Hawks

The more salient points are how many of them are best 22, how many are key players within that 22, are they easily replaced?

I'd argue only Pendles and Howe from that list are definitiely best 22 and key players. The remainder are fringe or depth players more easily replaced and we actually have replacements developing.
Dunn and Wells too, half the reason we lost a flag

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dunn and Wells too, half the reason we lost a flag

Hardly "definitively best 22" if you look at the impact at senior level across 2018 and 2019. They'd be handy, but we've coped without them.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
After we prune I reckon there's only one more crack with the vets left

Sen:
Aish Francis Scharenberg
Howe Langdon Roughead

Grundy Treloar Adams
Hoskin Maynard Crisp

Brown Mihocek Stevo
Moore De Goey Elliott

Beams Sidebottom Pendlebury Phillips

Res:
Cox Quaynor Noble T Brown Daicos Mayne Wills Murphy Dunn Thomas Greenwood Appleby Bosenavulagi Madgen Lynch Kelly Wilson Keane Tohill McInnes

Delist: Reid Varcoe Wells Crocker Broomhead Goldsack Murray*

Trade: Sier
Acquire: Francis (Ess) McInnes (Academy)
You've "jumped the gun" with Reef McInnes - he's a year off being draft age!

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Hardly "definitively best 22" if you look at the impact at senior level across 2018 and 2019. They'd be handy, but we've coped without them.
Yeah but we are assuming all players fit in that scenario right?

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah but we are assuming all players fit in that scenario right?

Even then, IMO they'd be fringe, fighting for their spot, Dunn with Moore, Roughy, and Scharenberg, Wells with Beams, Phillips and Sire types. They may ultimately get the nod but the fact you need to have that discussion means they're not "definitively best 22". Certainly isn't something you'd do with Pendles or Howe. If they're available, they're in.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Even then, IMO they'd be fringe, fighting for their spot, Dunn with Moore, Roughy, and Scharenberg, Wells with Beams, Phillips and Sire types. They may ultimately get the nod but the fact you need to have that discussion means they're not "definitively best 22". Certainly isn't something you'd do with Pendles or Howe. If they're available, they're in.
I see it very differently, Dunn available opens up the forwardline, Wells too in his own way, the silk we needed to go all the way
He could have been Daicos in his twilight years kicking bags from the goal square with Moore holding down CHF... now we are so restricted we've had to take our biggest trade period win away from Full Back

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If we can keep the Bear away from the hoops (gee I wish that meant Geelong) our future midfield looks a bit more solid... keys and speed now please

Sen:
Crisp Roughead Langdon
Howe Scharenberg Aish

Grundy Maynard Sier
Hoskin Adams Treloar

Brown Mihocek Stevo
Moore De Goey Elliott

Beams Sidebottom Pendlebury Phillips

Res:
Cox Quaynor Noble T Brown Daicos Mayne Wills Murphy Dunn Thomas Greenwood Appleby Bosenavulagi Madgen Lynch Kelly Wilson Keane Tohill McInnes

Delist: Reid Varcoe Wells Crocker Broomhead Goldsack Murray*

Depth looks fanatastic, but you know, we always seem to be down to rookies in the end :mad:

Thedivided

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any chance alan Richardson could come back as an assistant, wouldn't mind him replacing Harvey he doesnt do a lot for us to be fair.

bigroy87

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any chance alan Richardson could come back as an assistant, wouldn't mind him replacing Harvey he doesnt do a lot for us to be fair.
There is a bloke up north who is coaching the Lions midfield who we should get back. Went up there when they were on the bottom floor and has been integral to the Lions rise up the ladder. Proven himself at every level, geniune coach.

Back