Toast 2020 "ChoppyGun" NM Poster of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah actually I'm surprised they're allowed. Imagine someone being attacked by three or four posters and made to feel like sh*t but it's actually the same fu**en poster. Not saying all would use it for nefarious purpose but some I have no doubt would.

The mind boggles.
A lot humorous 'posters' wouldn't exist if alternate accounts weren't allowed. I agree that the sockpuppeting nonsense is utter bullcrap though, but I also think that it's relatively rare (and usually obvious). Even if alternate accounts were outright against the rules, malicious people would still use them as it really isn't hard to evade detection if you put in a modicum of effort. By flatly banning them you probably do more harm than good to the 'culture' of what is usually a relatively light hearted forum.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It varies. Some would solely be gimmick accounts, played for a communal laugh. Others exist more nefariously for sockpuppeting purposes(to deceive/manipulate the discourse by making things seem more/less popular, or to attack posters etc). Some exist simply to evade bans.

The majority of alt accounts would exist for one of the three reasons above.

Arden and Zondor say hello.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lot humorous 'posters' wouldn't exist if alternate accounts weren't allowed. I agree that the sockpuppeting nonsense is utter bullcrap though, but I also think that it's relatively rare (and usually obvious). Even if alternate accounts were outright against the rules, malicious people would still use them as it really isn't hard to evade detection if you put in a modicum of effort. By flatly banning them you probably do more harm than good to the 'culture' of what is usually a relatively light hearted forum.

Yeah just be ya self and wear the different hats that us complex beings are from time to time.

Oct 13, 2008
Sesame Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It varies. Some would solely be gimmick accounts, played for a communal laugh. Others exist more nefariously for sockpuppeting purposes(to deceive/manipulate the discourse by making things seem more/less popular, or to attack posters etc). Some exist simply to evade bans.

The majority of alt accounts would exist for one of the three reasons above.
I feel like some would exist just as a tribute to their favourite posters, and spend literally years hoping they come back to the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back