Club Focus 2020 Club Draft Needs

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

North will probably take the two of the best 3-4 mid's in the draft. Phillips, Hollands, Campbell, Bruhn, O'Driscoll probably in that order.

Then potentially a key defender in the second round.

I think we will try and address a half back runner in the FA/Trade period.

North will probably take the two of the best 3-4 mid's in the draft. Phillips, Hollands, Campbell, Bruhn, O'Driscoll probably in that order.

Then potentially a key defender in the second round.

I think we will try and address a half back runner in the FA/Trade period.
Do you think North would be open to trading back one of their first rounders this year?

Let's say the draft order stays close to what it is and North hold picks 3 and 4 with no bid being placed on Ugle-Hagan by pick 3.
If the dogs offered our first picks this year and next for pick 3, you could probably get Phillips and someone like Macrae while banking an extra first for 2021.

Reckon you would be interested?

Do you think North would be open to trading back one of their first rounders this year?

Let's say the draft order stays close to what it is and North hold picks 3 and 4 with no bid being placed on Ugle-Hagan by pick 3.
If the dogs offered our first picks this year and next for pick 3, you could probably get Phillips and someone like Macrae while banking an extra first for 2021.

I doubt it.

Potentially pick 12 and pick 12-16 for a top 3 pick?

Most of those deals for top 3 picks generally involve multiple top 10 picks.

I.e pick 7 &10.

Lol if juh hasn’t already been bid on by picks 1+2 then north are bidding on him with pick 3 in your scenario. He’s the perfect draftee for them. I reckon they would bid on him at pick 1 if they had it.
Not if a deal is in place. Let's face it there is no real benefit for anyone to bid other than keeping us honest.

I doubt it.

Potentially pick 12 and pick 12-16 for a top 3 pick?

Most of those deals for top 3 picks generally involve multiple top 10 picks.

I.e pick 7 &10.
You're more optimistic about where we will finish than I am.
I guess it depends on whether clubs are keen to move out of this draft and into next years - it seem feasible based on the compromised nature of this year.

Not if a deal is in place. Let's face it there is no real benefit for anyone to bid other than keeping us honest.

really? The benefit is that north would take juh at pick 1 if available. If you match they go onto the next best available and your picks have been wiped out, pass and they get the player they want.

there’s all benefit and zero downside.

I think there's a real benefit.

Keeping you honest is one word for it.

Alleviating the pressure on the #2 pick is another.

Making the dogs fork out their entire 2020 draft hand to pay for him is another.

Putting the Dogs into deficit in 2021 has a lot of benefits too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're more optimistic about where we will finish than I am.
I guess it depends on whether clubs are keen to move out of this draft and into next years - it seem feasible based on the compromised nature of this year.
Pick 12 is the first pick for the finals teams this year. Due to the Gold Coast mid first round priority pick at 11 (since traded to Geelong).

So he’s saying you finish between 5th and 8th this year.

really? The benefit is that north would take juh at pick 1 if available. If you match they go onto the next best available and your picks have been wiped out, pass and they get the player they want.

there’s all benefit and zero downside.
I don't think clubs get as excited at wiping out other clubs draft picks as supporters do.
Bids for father sons and academy players have traditionally always come later than predicted.

And all I'm saying is if North were to make an in principle agreement that they were keen on, the benefits of that agreement would then eliminate any desire to match a bid. Does that make sense?

Pick 12 is the first pick for the finals teams this year. Due to the Gold Coast mid first round priority pick at 11 (since traded to Geelong).

We've lost to Carlton and St.Kilda. I'm not convinced we make the 8.

I think an issue would be that, even if North were happy to trade, we wouldn't want to do that trade until it got to pick 3 in the draft and we knew that Jamara hadn't been bid on but then we'd have to go into the draft with our first round still intact.
If Jamara got a bid at one or two then we'd lose that first pick and probably the rest of our picks.
We might want to play it safer and try to get more points value for that first pick by trading it before draft day.

Even if we did manage to trade high enough to get ahead of JUH bid, it would leave us with no significant remaining picks in this year's draft to actually match the JUH bid, then we have Raak after him to match, and we'd end up wiping ourselves out of the 2021 draft in the process. I don't see the merit in trading up when this year, more than any other, there is so much uncertainty over who the true elite young talents are.

No need to get greedy when we're already getting arguably the best kid in the draft (JUH), plus a fantastic tall defender (Raak) and have access to Macpherson on top of that. We need to pay for them somehow

Lol if juh hasn’t already been bid on by picks 1+2 then north are bidding on him with pick 3 in your scenario. He’s the perfect draftee for them. I reckon they would bid on him at pick 1 if they had it.
North already have Brown, Larkey and Zurhaar. Why would North even want JUH ?

“Bulldogs have naughton, Bruce and schache why would they even want JUL”
Because Shache is s**t. And Naughton is a converted defender who came 4th in our best and fairest in his first year when he was played in defence.

brown turns 28 this year. Larkey is a component, not a star and zurhaar is a medium forward.

why would dogs need juh when you’ve got Naughton Bruce dale lipinski?

I mean I know the answer but you might be stumped.
You answered it. The dogs weakness is genuine goal kickers for us. It’s been a struggle for us under the Beveridge regime. I just think North have a lot more pressing needs in the midfield than adding a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back