2020 Consensus 22: name the team FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Stocker
Generally, one of the wingmen will go towards the contest, the 2 wings won’t play the same role. So at times, Murphy, Setterfield, Ed, Martin, Cuners can have time on the wing.

But we definitely need at least one of LOB or Newnes

How about Stocker??

Brings something we don't have. Mongrel.

At the moment looking like a bolter...

I mean in game rotation. Walsh and Newnes can’t play 100% TOG. We need a 3rd wingman coming off the bench as Setterfield seems primed for an inside move. Fisher doesn’t have that capacity which is why LOB or Gibbons seems the more logical choice IMO.
What do you mean Fisher doesn't have that capacity? He's played much more time starting in the centre than Setterfield has.

Stocker

How about Stocker??

Not counting out Stocker at all, he could be in (this is so hard, which is fantastic).
But he's not a wingman. I'm pretty adamant that we need at least one true wingman.

Last edited:
Gibbons criminally underrated for mine. Would pick him every week.

Gibbons probably starts Round 1 but doesn’t end up being best 22 by the end of the year as he will get overtaken by the likes of Stocker, Dow and LOB. I know they will play different positions to Gibbons but others will move eg Stocker comes in and plays half back and SPS moves onto a wing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Consensus 2019 Lineup
FB: Lachie Plowman (134) - Liam Jones (148) - Kade Simpson (117)
HB: Sam Docherty (146) - Jacob Weitering (148) - Caleb Marchbank (111)
C:
HF: Mitch McGovern (146) - Harry McKay (150) - Jack Martin (143)
FF: Eddie Betts (149) - Charlie Curnow (147) - David Cuningham (121)
FOL:
INT: Sam Petrevski-Seton (94) - Jack Silvagni (80)
EMG: Nic Newman (91) - Zac Fisher (40)

AM I blind or is Kennedy neither in the votes up the top or the pre-confirmed 22? CJMB should the Fisher on the bench in the current line up be Kennedy or should Kennedy be in this vote instead of Fisher?
The lineup is looking pretty strong hey!
But, I'm also impressed with the players that missed out, we have quite a few capable emergencies :D
We are definitely in for a fun year, with real competition for spots for a change

Consensus 2019 Lineup
FB: Lachie Plowman (134) - Liam Jones (148) - Kade Simpson (117)
HB: Sam Docherty (146) - Jacob Weitering (148) - Caleb Marchbank (111)
C:
HF: Mitch McGovern (146) - Harry McKay (150) - Jack Martin (143)
FF: Eddie Betts (149) - Charlie Curnow (147) - David Cuningham (121)
FOL:
INT: Sam Petrevski-Seton (94) - Jack Silvagni (80)
EMG: Nic Newman (91) - Zac Fisher (40)

AM I blind or is Kennedy neither in the votes up the top or the pre-confirmed 22? CJMB should the Fisher on the bench in the current line up be Kennedy or should Kennedy be in this vote instead of Fisher?

You're right, I've added Kennedy. Somehow missed him...

As it stands, Fisher is the emergency forward. If he (or Newman, for that matter) get named in the 22 for the midfield group, the vacant emergency spot will be filled by the next highest voted player in that line. ie if Fisher is named on the bench for the midfield group then Kennedy (33 votes) is promoted to FWD EMG.

In the event of a tie, I'll consider votes for other lines. As an example, Newnes has received 6 votes prior to the mid voting while Stocker only received 3 so if it came down to those two then Newnes would get the nod. The same logic has Levi penciled in as ruck-capable emergency as he's received 25 votes across fwd and def so will undoubtedly be the next highest player after Kreuzer.

I mean in game rotation. Walsh and Newnes can’t play 100% TOG. We need a 3rd wingman coming off the bench as Setterfield seems primed for an inside move. Fisher doesn’t have that capacity which is why LOB or Gibbons seems the more logical choice IMO.

Fisher can certainly play on a wing, as can all those I mentioned.

8-9 of that group are in our best side so we will have plenty of options and rotations.

The lineup is looking pretty strong hey!
But, I'm also impressed with the players that missed out, we have quite a few capable emergencies :D
We are definitely in for a fun year, with real competition for spots for a change
I'll probably compile and post the reserves 22 from those who miss out, dare say it'll be a decent looking team!

You're right, I've added Kennedy. Somehow missed him...

As it stands, Fisher is the emergency forward. If he (or Newman, for that matter) get named in the 22 for the midfield group, the vacant emergency spot will be filled by the next highest voted player in that line. ie if Fisher is named on the bench for the midfield group then Kennedy (33 votes) is promoted to FWD EMG.

In the event of a tie, I'll consider votes for other lines. As an example, Newnes has received 6 votes prior to the mid voting while Stocker only received 3 so if it came down to those two then Newnes would get the nod. The same logic has Levi penciled in as ruck-capable emergency as he's received 25 votes across fwd and def so will undoubtedly be the next highest player after Kreuzer.

A better example is currently Newnes & Gibbons each have 12 mid votes, making them the 7th ranked mid. Newnes has an additional 6 votes across def & fwd while Gibbons has 12, meaning Gibbons would get the bench spot while Newnes becomes an emergency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher, Dow, Stocker, Kennedy - yes - fitness being a key factor. Newnes is competing for a different position.

Tenacity and fitness are not the same thing.
And I would argue that Newnes is competing for a position with Gibbons. While Newnes is a true wingman, Gibbons won't be playing inside. They're battling for either the 6th or 7th midfield spot.

Tenacity and fitness are not the same thing.
And I would argue that Newnes is competing for a position with Gibbons. While Newnes is a true wingman, Gibbons won't be playing inside. They're battling for either the 6th or 7th midfield spot.

Not the same thing, true, but I'd argue that one is a prerequisite for the other. We need players with repeat efforts. Wait and see with Newnes - I don't have him as best 22, but I also doubt he was recruited to play VFL.

Gibbons criminally underrated for mine. Would pick him every week.
Competing with Betts, O'Brien, Cuningham, Martin, Murphy, Newnes, Fisher and some of the new draftees for a spot. He'll get some games, but he's in for a positional battle.

Stocker

How about Stocker??

Competing with JSOS for that bench spot. He'd be in the 23-26 bracket for selections at this stage IMO, with Dow being in a similar predicament.

Good for the team that we've got such developing talent on the fringes of the side.

Competing with JSOS for that bench spot. He'd be in the 23-26 bracket for selections at this stage IMO, with Dow being in a similar predicament.

Good for the team that we've got such developing talent on the fringes of the side.

I think Jack gets picked in the forward 7, while Stocker is battling for one of the mid spots.

I think Jack gets picked in the forward 7, while Stocker is battling for one of the mid spots.
I don't think we'll have a forward 7. There'll be 4 permanent forwards, and the rest will rotate.

Jack needs to be able to support Cripps in the midfield if he plays, and Stocker needs to be able to be a solid forward target if he plays. Kennedy is the backup after those two, and also for McGovern.

Interesting exercise on the mids. I reckon there are 5 certainties and then about 8 guys competing for the next spot or two. Will be interesting to see who makes the spot their own this summer.
Maybe in the real team selection there may be two spots; but according to this poll, we have 6 clear mids and only one position up for grab between LOB, Newnes and Gibbons

Maybe in the real team selection there may be two spots; but according to this poll, we have 6 clear mids and only one position up for grab between LOB, Newnes and Gibbons
I think the poll has it right with those six, and even the last position being up for grabs between one of these three hard running types seems right to me.

Good stuff bigfooty

Just can’t see Gibbbons beating out all of Fisher, Dow, Newnes, Kennedy
Had a better second half of the year than Fish, Dow or Kennedy, pre season form will decide a lot of spots come Rd1.
I’d actually have Gibbons on the hff in place of Cunners who to mine hasn’t earnt his spot yet, has great traits but hasn’t done it consistently yet and Gibbons owned that spot 2nd half of the year.

Last edited:
I think the poll has it right with those six, and even the last position being up for grabs between one of these three hard running types seems right to me.

Good stuff bigfooty

Yeh, FWIW I think Fisher is a clear stand-out to make it 6 locked too. As per my vote. But he's the first one an argument could be made against, the first 5 are all picking themselves. Stocker, Dow, Newnes, LOB, even Kennedy will have to put their cases forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back