2020 Consensus 22: name the team FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

How are you going to pick 7 midfielders..

LOCKS:lock:Cripps, Murphy, Curnow, Walsh
PROBABLES ✔
Setterfield, Fisher
POSSIBLES:question:Gibbons, Dow, Stocker, O'Brien, Kennedy Newman, Newnes, Williamson
KIDS :baby: Philp, Honey, Cottrell, Kemp, Ramsay

Good luck choosing only one of those possibles.

We have plenty of talent coming through, but picking this group is pretty easy IMO.

As much as I've pushed for some in that group of possibles, there's a pretty clear 7th I think, to start the year at least. But I don't expect him to get the most votes because he's not the 'sexy' choice nor is he particularly young.

It'll be interesting to see when the mids poll comes around.

We have plenty of talent coming through, but picking this group is pretty easy IMO.

As much as I've pushed for some in that group of possibles, there's a pretty clear 7th I think, to start the year at least. But I don't expect him to get the most votes because he's not the 'sexy' choice nor is he particularly young.

We didn't recruit Newnes to play VFL footy that's for sure.

PlowJonesSimmo
BacksSPS
DocWeitersNewman
MidsSettersMurphyWalshFisher
Gibbons
KruezerCrippsE.Curnow
ForwardsMartinMcKayCunninghamJSoS
BettsCharlieMcGovern
EmrgenciesMarchbackNewnesCasboult

the only thing is I think Casboult has to play if we are playing a mature side like Richmond in round 1...especially vs. Rance & Grimes...an in form Cas could intimidate whereas others wont imho

the only thing is I think Casboult has to play if we are playing a mature side like Richmond in round 1...especially vs. Rance & Grimes...an in form Cas could intimidate whereas others wont imho

Levi will likely play round 1 because Charlie won't be fit, it will have nothing to do with how mature the opposition is, or how intimidating our other forwards are.

I think it's much harder picking the mids group than the forwards or backs.
I see 7 lock forwards, 6 backs + Simmo, but only 5 cert mids, with serious competition for the last 2 spots.

Maybe bench. If not, Emergencies.

I'm not his biggest fan(of which there are many, probably too many imho). But i'm not closed to him. There is definately something there, just not convinced it's real as opposed to wishful.

Big year for him no doubt. Plays as a 23yo all next year. It's time. Hope he brings it.

I’m a Cuningham believer but this is a fair call.
Cuningham ticks a lot of boxes that i consider necessary to make the grade as an AFL footballer but obviously a crucial ingredient is continuity and consistency on the park, something he is yet to but must now deliver if he is to survive and thrive.

Cuningham Curnow Martin
Betts McKay McGovern

Replace Betts with Papley next season and it’s a forward line primed and ready to create havoc for quite some time ...

Now that we have our full list, I thought I might give this another go.
Assuming everyone is fit and ready to go in RD1

RD23 - 2019
B Nic Newman , Lachie Plowman , Will Setterfield
HB Dale Thomas , Jacob Weitering , Sam Petrevski-Seton
C Lochie O'Brien , Paddy Dow , Ed Curnow
HF Matthew Kennedy , Harry McKay , Levi Casboult
F Jack Silvagni , Patrick Cripps , Mitch McGovern
FOL Matthew Kreuzer , Marc Murphy , Sam Walsh

I/C Kade Simpson , Zac Fisher , David Cuningham , Josh Deluca

RD1 - 2020
B Sam Docherty, Liam Jones, Lachie Plowman
HB Caleb Marchbank , Jacob Weitering , Sam Petrevski-Seton
C Will Setterfield, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
HF David Cuningham , Harry McKay , Jack Martin
F Eddie Betts, Charlie Curnow , Mitch McGovern

I/C Kade Simpson, Zac Fisher, Jack Silvagni, Lochie O'Brien

Only six changes, but the team looks so much stronger, with a few players moved around a bit! :D

Most impressively is who misses out & ready to step up?
Newman
Newnes
Caz
Dow
Stocker
Kennedy
Williamson
Gibbons

The new boys got plenty of time to find their feet :D

Last edited:
Not a lot of love for Gibbons. Could surprise a few.

Our squad has definitely improved, but I honestly thought he finished off the year quite strongly as a half forward/midfielder.

Unless people have him in our midfield, I reckon he'll get more game time in the 1's than what most people are expecting.
This!!! I agree wholeheartedly Gibbons second half of the year was really good playing the high Hf pushing up to the wings and linking up, was involved in most of our great ball movement down the left wing and played that role fantastic even covered for O’Brien when he found himself out of position, will be hard to keep out of the side based on exposed form.

With roughly 130 votes for Consensus forwards, Cuningham is comfortably our sixth forward and just over half have voted JSOS for the seventh, bench spot ahead of Fisher, Kennedy, Casboult and Gibbons.

Fisher might be close for the last midfielder’s spot (quick guess Cripps, Ed, Walsh, Murphy, Setterfield, Newnes and O’Brien).

Arguably the seventh forward could be a surprise player each week, say SPS one week if there is no match up in defence, Fisher if we want an extra midfielder to rotate, JSOS if we want the 4th tall-ish forward or if we need an extra shut-down midfielder ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that we have our full list, I thought I might give this another go.
Assuming everyone is fit and ready to go in RD1

RD23 - 2019
B Nic Newman , Lachie Plowman , Will Setterfield
HB Dale Thomas , Jacob Weitering , Sam Petrevski-Seton
C Lochie O'Brien , Paddy Dow , Ed Curnow
HF Matthew Kennedy , Harry McKay , Levi Casboult
F Jack Silvagni , Patrick Cripps , Mitch McGovern

I/C Kade Simpson , Zac Fisher , David Cuningham , Josh Deluca

RD1 - 2020
B Sam Docherty, Liam Jones, Lachie Plowman
HB Caleb Marchbank , Jacob Weitering , Sam Petrevski-Seton
C Will Setterfield, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
HF David Cuningham , Harry McKay , Jack Martin
F Eddie Betts, Charlie Curnow , Mitch McGovern

I/C Kade Simpson, Zac Fisher, Jack Silvagni, Lochie O'Brien

Only six changes, but the team looks so much stronger, with a few players moved around a bit! :D

Most impressively is who misses out & ready to step up?
Newman
Newnes
Caz
Dow
Stocker
Kennedy
Williamson
Gibbons

The new boys got plenty of time to find their feet :D
compare our rd1 2020 team to our rd 23 2018 team, and prepare for a laugh...

Would think the veterans get the benefit of the doubt re starting spots.

But a super strong pre-season from certain players would make things very interesting.

Competition for spots is what pushes players to another level

Main reason for my prediction is Teague wanting to player senior/experienced bodies, especially early

I hope he gets the transition right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back