List Mgmt. 2020: Death Riding Melbourne [NMFC owns MFC's 1st (#9) & 4th (#64) 2020 picks] - Keep Your Eye on the Red and the Blue

Thanks for that Giantroo......further to that,.....does that mean they go down a pick or two....apologies I've taken no notice of the points system....
Yes.

Each pick has a points value. Pick 1 (3000), etc . For Pick 1 you must have the full allocation of points (3000) to keep the pick even though you may have enough to cover pick 2 (2,517).

From there, you just minus the point deficit (265) and you get the table I've posted.

1599480515067.png
1599480663454.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The problem is, TAO, you are a simpleton.

I am not writing off Perez after 2 games.

Good luck to him.

But you are kidding yourself if you think he is a future gun, after what he has shown so far...

But Sarong on the other hand, has been impressive. damn impressive.

He has all the attributes we desperately need.

And we gave it up !!!

And do you know why you normally get a premium when you trade a current pick for a future pick ? Its because future picks carry risk, thats why we got Perez and the extras. Because we took the risk that comes with future trading.

So Co-vid came along and bit us on the arse.....we cant complain, because we accepted the risk.

Let me tell you a little secret....Sometimes the great fantastic NMFC get it wrong. I know you dont believe me, but just look at our current ladder position and the last 20 years.

A simpleton would be someone who writes this trade of as a disaster before even knowing the full outcome of said picks.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

Good luck to him.

But you are kidding yourself if you think he is a future gun, after what he has shown so far...

And we gave it up !!!

And do you know why you normally get a premium when you trade a current pick for a future pick ? Its because future picks carry risk, thats why we got Perez and the extras. Because we took the risk that comes with future trading.

So Co-vid came along and bit us on the arse.....we cant complain, because we accepted the risk.

Let me tell you a little secret....Sometimes the great fantastic NMFC get it wrong. I know you dont believe me, but just look at our current ladder position and the last 20 years.

My god this is a bad take. We haven't even drafted two of the players from this trade yet.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

And we gave it up !!!

His name is Serong.

And we didn't "give it up".

Hey Johnny, can you point us to a positive post you have made about North Melbourne? Just can't remember one from you.

I mean, you call yourself a North Melbourne "supporter" ... seems like a false claim in your case.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Good luck to him.

And we gave it up !!!

If we drafted Caleb Serong, he'd have dislocated his little toe in the pre-season, spent eight weeks in rehab after tearing his hamstring while tying his shoelaces, played one game (in the back pocket, having trained with the forwards) and featured on the front page of the Herald Sun for playing a scratch match for St Kilda.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His name is Serong.

And we didn't "give it up".

Hey Johnny, can you point us to a positive post you have made about North Melbourne? Just can't remember one from you.

I mean, you call yourself a North Melbourne "supporter" ... seems like a false claim in your case.

This is a forum and one can express their opinion, as long as it is within the rules.

And yes, I love the Kangas, as much as anyone on this forum.

But unlike you, I dont think we will get to no. 1, by posting happy thoughts.

The club needs to be questioned. It needs to change. Or another 20 years will pass by and the NMFC will again be irrelevant.

And if that happens, I bet the AFL will push us out of Arden street.

Fact is, its members like me that question why this club is making the wrong decisions, that can save this club. Not "everything's fine" happy little vegemites like you, that accept failure.

This is a forum and one can express their opinion, as long as it is within the rules.

The club needs to be questioned. It needs to change. Or another 20 years will pass by and the NMFC will again be irrelevant.

Fact is, its members like me that question why this club is making the wrong decisions, that can save this club. Not "everything's fine" happy little vegemites like you, that accept failure.

Sure. I get it, 100% negativity and criticism is your thing. Whatever works for you, mate.

I prefer the support part of being a supporter. That doesn't mean denying the facts and pretending everything is all right when it's not, but it includes acknowledging the efforts and the positives.

Just love it that the go-to line of all the mega-whingers on this site is that when called on it, they counter with "you accept failure".

bengrina

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2012
West Baltimore
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Completely respect your opinions Johnny, but its a very one sided view. How do you know we were going to select Serong? Also you need to wait a few years before you can make a judgement on whether this was actually a good decision. What if Perez ends up being the next Nat Fyfe? What if our pick from the dees this year ends up being the next Dangerfield? You suggest the club need to change. Is something like trading a future first rounder not some of the change that you're looking for?

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A simpleton would be someone who writes this trade of as a disaster before even knowing the full outcome of said picks.

So lets imagine Caleb Serong was drafted by NMFC.

And Freo came to us and offered :

Pick 9-10
Perez.
And pick 50.

Would you do the trade ?

Would you give up a bottom age, highly promising, midfielder, potential Rising star winner for 3 picks. And only one in the top 25 ?

If you say no, then you agree with me. We got dudded.

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2 & 9.

Ah well.

Good luck to him.

And we gave it up !!!

Perez is a future gun

Watch his first game again, just focus on him, his movement and willingness to attack.

Simpleton is a great word, but Naturally ain’t one.

This little taste for Perez will be beneficial for him and he will hit R1 next year a new player. Every second of game time for him this season is a bonus.

I don’t often see it with players, but I could tell this kid is not one we need to worry about from the moment he set foot in the mounting yard.

I believe we traded it for an additional pick in the 30s, probably on the assumption that our ladder position wasn’t going to be 17th, as the club rated itself higher then reality at that point.

Comben, Perez and Mahoney seems like a pretty solid haul, however trading away pick 20 was a mistake in hindsight imo.

I personally do not like trading away future picks unless you’ve got a good grasp on where you’re at, which we clearly didn’t. Fingers crossed we do now.

While I agree with your last line I think in this case it had as much to do with the timing of Rawlings coming to the club. The football department / recruitment were in flux and for mine the club was basically saying that they'd rather Rawlings had more tools next year than a transition team having extra picks last year.

Oct 25, 2008
308 niagara royal lane
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Pick 9-10
Perez.
And pick 50.

Would you do the trade ?

Would you give up a bottom age, highly promising, midfielder, potential Rising star winner for 3 picks. And only one in the top 25 ?

Of course you would do that trade. A top 10 pick and more for a guy who's played less than 10 good games and is 180cm?? He could be the next Lewis Taylor (rising star winner) for all we know.

Of course you would do that trade. A top 10 pick and more for a guy who's played less than 10 good games and is 180cm?? He could be the next Lewis Taylor (rising star winner) for all we know.

Rhys Palmer comes to mind with Rising Star nominees

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While I agree with your last line I think in this case it had as much to do with the timing of Rawlings coming to the club. The football department / recruitment were in flux and for mine the club was basically saying that they'd rather Rawlings had more tools next year than a transition team having extra picks last year.

Yep, I get that - just that this trade did the opposite of that, trading out a pick in 2020 for an additional in 2019.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Pick 9-10
Perez.
And pick 50.

Would you do the trade ?

Question Johnny.

How do you reckon Serong would be going without Fyfe & Mundy in the side?

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
2 & 9.

Ah well.

Perez is a future gun

Watch his first game again, just focus on him, his movement and willingness to attack.

Simpleton is a great word, but Naturally ain’t one.

This little taste for Perez will be beneficial for him and he will hit R1 next year a new player. Every second of game time for him this season is a bonus.

I don’t often see it with players, but I could tell this kid is not one we need to worry about from the moment he set foot in the mounting yard.

Great post

Did you see that kick on the weekend from Perez to half forward - lace out , the player didn’t have to change direction or prop. Class

Yep, I get that - just that this trade did the opposite of that, trading out a pick in 2020 for an additional in 2019.

Ah right, read your post wrong. You are correct, what can you say though - in the end that was a different football manager and senior coach. All we can do is improve with the new team in charge.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Pick 9-10
Perez.
And pick 50.

Would you do the trade ?

Let's see who we draft with Dees pick first.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Good luck to him.

And we gave it up !!!

Absolute simpleton is I am. You don't name a child Flyin Perez if he aint quick or maybe his parents are sarcastic buggers? Flyin is sitting 14th for us on marks per game average. Equal ninth for tackles. 15th for intercepts.
Disposal efficiency is up there as well .
I think using your two game model , I'm announcing Flyin as ready to take over the Captaincy👍. Yeah I do though think he'll be a gun, he moves like he's hovering above the ground , almost Jesus like.

I haven't seen Sarong I did notice he's near 20, 83 kg's and 4 foot 6. Flyin' just turned 19 , hasn't played for 12 months is 6 foot 2 and 82 kilo's. I have been critical of our club possibly more than most over the journey. We've got it more wrong than right unfortunately. Yes we have a fear if we bottomed out that the cries for us to be relocated would grow. well that's a ******* shame, how about we get on the front foot and sell hope to our loyal fans around the young talent we've acquired and will acquire
This is one time I think we've done very well for ourselves . *, normally we do get boned at the trade table. We have an opportunity to bring in two top ten draft selections, I like us all, hope we nail it. I will add we thought this years crop or the first rounder depth at least to be better than last year.
And I for one like that we're not playing it safe, that hasn't got us anywhere for twenty years.

Bitterly disappointed GWS couldn't even manage to beat GoDees and give us a decent pick.

Lets not fap away or write kids off after a few games, especially during this shitshow season. It would be extremely challenging performing in a team where the mature players/leaders are offering no leadership at all.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think anyone needs to diminish Serong's achievements just to defend the trade. Revisit in 3-5 years and we'll see if it is worth it.

Flynn looks alright. Serong looks like a jet. Seriously recommend people watch a bit more of Freo.

However, that doesn't mean that Flynn + whoever we get this year with the Dees' pick won't work out better for us in the long run.

In a few years time it might look like a blunder, it might look like a win win, or it might look like we absolutely killed it. Who knows.

Back