Position 2020 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Byrne-Jones is tempting me.

7 tons from rnd 9 onwards last year. 3 of those 120+.

Had a 7 in one game late in the season so average took a hit.
Fantastic player! Unfortunately his role may be too defensive i.e Haynes/Mills to score really high though. Whether he can do a Tom Stewart and take the next leap is the question that needs to be answered. I certainly don't see him going backwards and if he gets a more attacking role he will absolutely be relevant. I must say i didnt see enough of Port last season to know whether his scoring spike from mid-way through the season was due to a role adjustment or just natural improvement. In any case ill be watching him closely in the preseason.

Fantastic player! Unfortunately his role may be too defensive i.e Haynes/Mills to score really high though. Whether he can do a Tom Stewart and take the next leap is the question that needs to be answered. I certainly don't see him going backwards and if he gets a more attacking role he will absolutely be relevant. I must say i didnt see enough of Port last season to know whether his scoring spike from mid-way through the season was due to a role adjustment or just natural improvement. In any case ill be watching him closely in the preseason.

Stats seem to suggest he got more off the leash.

Went fro struggling to top 20 touches per game to comfortably covering 20+ from Round 7 ish onwards. Adjusted my team to bring him in.

Stats seem to suggest he got more off the leash.

Went fro struggling to top 20 touches per game to comfortably covering 20+ from Round 7 ish onwards. Adjusted my team to bring him in.
Yeah they do seem to point towards that. I think he is a better pick than the more popular Houston. I wouldnt be totally adverse to starting both though

Yeah they do seem to point towards that. I think he is a better pick than the more popular Houston. I wouldnt be totally adverse to starting both though

If he scores like that last half will be a very sexy POD. But like you im not sold yet. Wanna see his role in the preseason games first

If he scores like that last half will be a very sexy POD. But like you im not sold yet. Wanna see his role in the preseason games first

Not 100% sure but think his scoring spike was due to Burton being dead.
That 7 wasn't due to a tag or injury or anything. He just massively s**t the bed. Which was outrageous because of how well he was going at the time.

Not 100% sure but think his scoring spike was due to Burton being dead.
That 7 wasn't due to a tag or injury or anything. He just massively s**t the bed. Which was outrageous because of how well he was going at the time.

Yeah that game was bizarre. From the players to coach, it was just an absolutely shitful day.

Backs.PNG

Had Daniel.

Switched him to DBJ to turn Bont into Macrae in the mids.

"GEELONG defender Tom Stewart has revealed his post-season honeymoon to Europe delayed his recovery from a groin injury that will rule him out of next month's State of Origin Bushfire Relief match."

Well I'm foogin shocked!

source.gif

Co-captain Sam Docherty played the entirety of the match and was assured in defence as he continues his recovery from successive seasons on the sidelines due to back-to-back ACL injuries, while young defender Tom Williamson also played the full game.

Birchall and Ah Chee both played in the 'probable' team that easily won the contest, looking right at home with their exquisite ball use from the back half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zilliams has averaged 100+ the last few full seasons he has played, so he’d have to come under consideration. IIRC he played more mid as Coniglio and Whitfield missed games though, which probably inflated his scores a bit. Still a pretty safe choice.

On first glance Witherden looks a good price and should pick up more points with Hodge out.

Stephen Hill is a hard pass right?

You’d think Hayden Young’s game would be ultra conducive to SuperCoach, and has to be a lock pending good JS.
Are you joking, Hill is a hard lock if he successfully completes the preseason.

Seriously wanting to get Doch but the more I look at the list of Carlton defenders, the less enthused I get. Simpson, Newman, SPS & Doch. Hard to see any of them averaging 95 + with all that competition for the running half back role. $436k for player that may not be a keeper sounds a bust......
Doc doesn't run, they used to literally reverse the play to pass it to him so that he can kick it forward (like negative 50 m gained at times, just silly). Will be interesting to see how Teague uses him, I would guess they will not throw so many chips but he should still be a top 6 def.

"In the hitout that essentially pitted Brisbane's best outfit against the rest in three terms of 15 minutes (plus time-on), new recruits Grant Birchall and Callum Ah Chee also put in eye-catching performances off half-back."

"Birchall and Ah Chee both played in the 'probable' team that easily won the contest, looking right at home with their exquisite ball use from the back half."

"I'm just trying to get used to how the boys roll and their patterns and strengths," Birchall said.

"The body's feeling really good at the moment. I'm just trying to get strong and resilient again and doing everything asked of me. It's all been good."

What's Edwards role likely to be? I thought he was moved around a bit in some SC friendly and non friendly roles.

I can't see his role changing from being Mr Fix It.

Some good scoring to the end of the year as a mid, but with Prestia, Cotchin, Lambert, Martin/Caddy, Pickett there as well I don't think he's going to be always needed. Much more likely the young/2nd tier flankers (Stack, McIntosh, Short, Bolton, Baker, Rioli) have form issues than a very solid senior midfield group (bar Pickett) and perhaps even injury, in which case he can plug the hole just as he does all the time - especially having lost quite a bit of depth in these positions in the last 2 off-seasons.

Defenders the hardest to choose.

A a glance, the only 'top' guys I like are Lloyd, Laird, Sicily, Williams and Docherty, and none of them are straight up picks for me.

I'm not considering Houli, Stewart, Witherden, Andrews, Newman, Rampe (although I'm going to go study his 2nd half of the year), Rich, Hurn, Simpson, Smith, Howe, Ryan, McGovern, Sheppard etc at all. Same with Blakely, Mills, Birchall, Short, Milera.

From necessity I'm down to seeing the likes of DBJ, Houston, Dawson, Saad, McKenna, Clark and Ahern but I wonder if they are all just 5 points underpriced which makes them 'attractive' pre-season options but limited in terms of success. In which case I could be down to Doedee, Roberton, Hill D3 onwards...:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back