Position 2020 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 3, 2011
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man U, Jays, GS Warriors, Packers
Who are we looking towards to be in our defensive line this year? As long as he starts Round 1, The Doc will be back in just about everyone's team, who else are you going for?

Who are we looking towards to be in our defensive line this year? As long as he starts Round 1, The Doc will be back in just about everyone's team, who else are you going for?

99% of our teams will be made up of:

Lloyd
Laird
Doherty
Houston
Dawson
Doedee
S.hill
Young
Gould

If you don’t have at least 5 of the following you may as well not play this year.

Lloyd
Laird
Doherty
Houston
Dawson
Doedee
S.hill
Young
Gould

If you don’t have at least 5 of the following you may as well not play this year.
You left out Roberton who will be in most sides. I'm starting with one POD in Houli.

Lloyd
Laird
Doherty
Houston
Dawson
Doedee
S.hill
Young
Gould

Currently don't have Laird or Lloyd which is going to hurt. I need to somehow turn ZWilliams into Lloyd but if I do, then watch Zwilliams light it up and Lloyd start how he finished last year

Currently don't have Laird or Lloyd which is going to hurt. I need to somehow turn ZWilliams into Lloyd but if I do, then watch Zwilliams light it up and Lloyd start how he finished last year
I'd get rid of Williams full stop. He will not get the midfield time that he got last year hence he will not even match what you are paying for him.
I think B Smith and/or Dawson will outscore him.

I'd get rid of Williams full stop. He will not get the midfield time that he got last year hence he will not even match what you are paying for him.
Yeah I think ZW goes...but don't like BSmith, he'll go back to 80s like he has done for seasons before last. I don't think Dawson improves that much either. Have to go for Lloyd because I have enough speculative types like Roberton, Houston, and maybe Doedee. Hope mid rookies fire in Marsh series so I can go 3 rookies in midfield, it's the only way I can have both Lloyd and Whit

Agree

Ward, Kelly, Cogs etc all back in the team will affect Williams, Greene, Hopper and maybe Taranto and Whitfield too

Can add hunter Clark to the list...will be a great POD this season and I bet none of us take him. Can see him averaging 90-95.
If you think he's going 90+ then he's a lock for you, only 5 defenders were 95+ last year. I think he's 85 max and am favouring Houston at that price range. I have too many of these mid priced defenders, if none of them end up keepers I'm screwed. That's why I really need Lloyd in somehow

If you think he's going 90+ then he's a lock for you, only 5 defenders were 95+ last year. I think he's 85 max and am favouring Houston at that price range. I have too many of these mid priced defenders, if none of them end up keepers I'm screwed. That's why I really need Lloyd in somehow
Post your team and I'll find you a Williams to Lloyd upgrade

Agree

Ward, Kelly, Cogs etc all back in the team will affect Williams, Greene, Hopper and maybe Taranto and Whitfield too
Taranto is one I wouldn't be so sure about. Last year's form seemed a natural trajectory for him based on his prior year (and those others blokes were playing then). He is tackle happy, very durable and I wouldn't be surprised if he remains top 10 in the comp for the next few years at least.

That said, I don't think I have the guts to pick him over similarly priced guys who have been doing it for longer.

EDIT: I see you said 'maybe' Taranto, so, yeah, I agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is the latest iteration of my team
View attachment 826698
Too many risky midpricers for mine

Not sold on Ebert's or Roberton's durability.

Wait on Townsend's role/JS. Brayshaw I dunno as yet, sure he can improve but I think Chad and Devon are better bets at the same price range

I'd move Whitfield forward and get another mid in

Kid called Close from Geelong who might get a game, he can take Townsend's spot

I'll clear my side and try and pick your guys who I think are fine to go with then improve it

The three problems I see with the side you've put together for #TheRednWhite are:
1 - With only $2,600 left in the bank if either of Close or North don't get selected, you haven't got enough cash to replace them and
2 - I always like to have at least $50K left in the bank at round 1 to allow for errors and/or rookies who just come out of the blue in the first couple of rounds and I need more $$$ to bring them in.
3 - Williams is still in the backline.

The three problems I see with the side you've put together for #TheRednWhite are:
1 - With only $2,600 left in the bank if either of Close or North don't get selected, you haven't got enough cash to replace them and
2 - I always like to have at least $50K left in the bank at round 1 to allow for errors and/or rookies who just come out of the blue in the first couple of rounds and I need more $$$ to bring them in.
Will Hayden Young even play? There's your rookie upgrade cash on Close and North if he doesn't

Williams and Adams are the last two premiums picked in that side, they can be chopped up to be like 1 premium/1 midpricer if he wants

I felt getting rid of all those risky midpricers was crucial though, so his team is closer to GnR now

Thanks for the feedback guys, but my issues are:
- I think Roberton is a gift and I have to have him, he should go 75+ at least imo
- Rankine at F5 is scary, he will score 40-50s
- Feel uneasy with starting both Rocky and Adams...I know Adams is cheap but 2 injury prone mids can kill my season very quick. Even just Rocky is a massive risk which is why Gaff and Crae were must have to carry the load every week.
- Cogs can go for me now, he is going to play more fwd
- Coot, I don't think ZWilliams will be as bad as you think. Cogs more fwd so ZW could still have stints in midfield, find it hard to believe that he won't play mids at all given how good he was at the end of last year. He offers something different to their other mids.
- Agree with having a bit more bank left over heading into round 1
- with Young uncertain to start round 1, it's becoming more and more likely we are going to have to pay up for Anderson too and have 3 on field rookies in midfield.
- So the changes I could make are: Tadams to Anderson, defender rookie to Roberton and then Cogs to best available mid (Dunks). That still doesn't fix Rankine F5 issue but you can't have everything perfect

Thanks for the feedback guys, but my issues are:
- I think Roberton is a gift and I have to have him, he should go 75+ at least imo
- Rankine at F5 is scary, he will score 40-50s
- Feel uneasy with starting both Rocky and Adams...I know Adams is cheap but 2 injury prone mids can kill my season very quick. Even just Rocky is a massive risk which is why Gaff and Crae were must have to carry the load every week.
- Cogs can go for me now, he is going to play more fwd
- Coot, I don't think ZWilliams will be as bad as you think. Cogs more fwd so ZW could still have stints in midfield, find it hard to believe that he won't play mids at all given how good he was at the end of last year. He offers something different to their other mids.
- Agree with having a bit more bank left over heading into round 1
- with Young uncertain to start round 1, it's becoming more and more likely we are going to have to pay up for Anderson too and have 3 on field rookies in midfield.
- So the changes I could make are: Tadams to Anderson, defender rookie to Roberton and then Cogs to best available mid (Dunks). That still doesn't fix Rankine F5 issue but you can't have everything perfect
Why do you believe that Cogs will play more forward?

Leon suggested it
Coaches mention many things. Doesn't mean that that is what they are going to do. Why would you take one of the best midfielders in the comp and move him forward when they already have plenty of forward options?

Coaches mention many things. Doesn't mean that that is what they are going to do. Why would you take one of the best midfielders in the comp and move him forward when they already have plenty of forward options?
because they have even more good mid options
Cameron said it could be a 50-50 mid-fwd split, I can see why when they have Jelly, Taranto, Hopper and Ward when he comes back- all can only play mid. I wouldn't worry though, Cogs will still average 105+ and could have huge games if he kicks 3 and has 30 touches

Partly because he's capable as a fwd.
Josh K not
Taranto not really
Ward certainly not
Jacob not really

The beauty of GWS midfield riches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back