Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

I'll repeat for Scorpus ......Mackay to the Rookie list

View attachment 1017995

We might move a guy like Ben Davis to the rookie list but we won't be insulting our most experienced, beloved, superstar David Mackay by putting him on the rookie list

Not sure where 1 million people are gonna fit on the gold coast... not much land left thats worth developing..

Unless the government/GCCC allow the Cane fields between stapylton/jacobs well/pimpama to be rezoned from agricultural to residential land.. even then that whole area is extremely flood prone.. goes under once every summer.

It's expected Gold Coast will hit 1 mil population somewhere between 2034-2041.

I reckon you'll find the answer is upwards and splitting up land into smaller blocks, not outwards.

Happy to take him in the RD, the same as we did with Keays & Crocker. I don't see any reason to put him on the senior list, which he would be if we signed him as a DFA.
BRIS want to keep Hinge .....IF we want to "lure" him, it won't be for a Rookie spot

How can you Rookie list your oldest player?

I know it is within the rules, and he has the body of a 14 year old boy, but it is nonsensical.

They should rename it to "Supplementary List".

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's just a name .....it'll be water off a ducks back for MacKay, being more mature ....but it's probably more mentally damaging for a young player to be seen to be downgraded

It’s not about costs really, it’s more about list spots and keeping some room for mid season drafts next year. Would probably indicate we aren’t planning to keep Kelly long term.
And that's a win.

Then it's not worth the bother, IMO.
Vader
what happens with Borlase if we get to pick 40 and still hasnt been bidded on. Do we just select him? Or can we pass and wait until someone bids before matching even though we passed. Cause normally once you have passed you are out of the draft.

Question: Is pick #40 a problem for the Crows - should we be getting rid of it?

The Rule: As far as I am aware, once a club passes on a selection they are not allowed to re-enter the draft.

The Assumptions:
  • Adelaide's "Plan A" is to make 4 selections in the ND (1/9/22/23), grabbing Borlase & Newchurch as Cat B rookies.
  • Adelaide would be prepared to (reluctantly) match a bid on Borlase after pick 23, but not Newchurch.
  • Any bids on Borlase are likely to come after pick 40.

The Problem:
If Adelaide still owns pick 40 by the time it's called, they will need to make a choice - they could pass, or they could grab Borlase. They don't want to select Borlase in the ND, unless forced to by a bid from another club. If they pass, then they would be out of the draft, and unable to match any subsequent bids - at the point in the draft where bids are most likely.

If we trade pick 40, then the problem goes away. Pick 56 should be sufficient for matching any late bids, and few players are expected to be taken after that point, so the risk of passing and losing him is minimised.
I think your assumption is incorrect - we can pass on a pick and still take a NGA player, as long as we at that point still have space on our list. Same as we could take a delisted free agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It used to be that Academy selections & rookie upgrades were made with the clubs' last selection in the ND, regardless of whether or not they had passed earlier in the draft. Now they're added straight to the list, without going through the draft.
Academy selections still need to be taken following a bid in the draft.

Rookie upgrades do not.

Vader
what happens with Borlase if we get to pick 40 and still hasnt been bidded on. Do we just select him? Or can we pass and wait until someone bids before matching even though we passed. Cause normally once you have passed you are out of the draft.
Jesus Christ, we were discussing this just a few posts ago.

Maybe Google instead of asking Vader? He has an opinion, but so far in this thread there's no documents to support it, other than a poster pointing out when GWS has passed on a pick and still selected an Academy player.

Vader
That's the dilemma I posed, in a previous post, earlier this morning.

It's also the main reason to NOT claim a Father-Son - if you nominate a father-son then they automatically join your list with your final pick. Academy players don't.

My understanding is - if you pass on a pick but still hold a list spot and someone subsequently bids on an Academy player, you can still claim them through remaining picks or by entering into deficit.

I think your assumption is incorrect - we can pass on a pick and still take a NGA player, as long as we at that point still have space on our list. Same as we could take a delisted free agent.
There's a fundamental difference here - DFAs are not selected through the draft. We can sign an NGA player without going through the RD, but only if nobody selects them in the ND first - and this is where our problem lies.

It's also the main reason to NOT claim a Father-Son - if you nominate a father-son then they automatically join your list with your final pick. Academy players don't.

My understanding is - if you pass on a pick but still hold a list spot and someone subsequently bids on an Academy player, you can still claim them through remaining picks or by entering into deficit.
Where do you get this from?

If we nominate either F/S or NGA we're committed to putting them on our rookie list, provided nobody selects them in the ND. F/S players join the rookie list, with your last selection in the rookie draft - not the senior list/national draft. NGA players go onto the Cat B rookie list, and no picks are involved. Other clubs can select them in the ND or PSD, but once they make it to the RD they are all ours - and we are forced to take them.

Mitch Hinge from the lions may be on his way to us as a delisted free agent.
Can play too watched a lot of NEAFL footy the last couple of years before the Covid and he was quite impressive. Generally played defence but doesn't mind the contested stuff so I'd think we'd be looking at him as a mid/defender.

Good mates with the Ballarat Rebels boys Jarrod and Tom Berry and Lugga maybe he can entice a couple of them one day. ;)

Brother John Hinge was on our list, strongly built lad like Mitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back