Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

My understanding is that'll we'll use 4 picks + match bids on Borlase/Newchurch or (hopefully) see them through to the rookie list. Not 4 picks, including Borlase/Newchurch.

Currently (incl. Hately) we are sitting at-:

Primary List = 32
Cat A Rookies = 3
Cat B Rookies = 0

If we use 4 ND picks + matching bids on Borlase and/or Newchurch, then our Primary List will be either 36, 37 or 38. (The hope is that Borlase/Newchurch aren't bid on and they can go straight onto our Cat B rookie list).
This then leaves 1-3 Cat A rookie list spots available, depending on, once again, whether Borlase/Newchurch are bid on.

The perfect result, for me, would be-:

Primary: 32 + 4 ND picks = 36
Cat A Rookie List: 3 + 3 RD picks and/or supplementary additions next year = 6
Cat B Rookie List: 0 + Borlase & Newchurch (no bids) = 2
Total Squad = 44 (the maximum)

Anyway, don't take any of the above as being correct... just my understanding!!
no that makes sense to me too mate. Issue comes if Newchurch and Borlase get bidded on. Both seem to be in that mirky area of 30-60 and with it looking likely that only 50-55 picks are used in total across the league this year, it's anyone's bet just how it plays out.

I'd love to somehow land 3 top 20 picks and one speculative 40-50, then the 2 NGA kids in as CAT B Rookies. would be an excellent outcome.
Alot of names i like in this years pool; (outside of the top 5-6) especially Perkins, Bruhn, Cox, Cook etc

I'd definitely settle for that even if we miss Hollands and Maher. :)

1. JUH (WB) [Adelaide places a bid and the WB Matches]
2. Riley Thilthorpe (ADE)
3. Logan McDonald (NM) - [The Bombers called through for a trade for their first two picks but it was rejected.]
4. DGB (SYD)
5. Elijah Hollands (HAW)
6. Will Phillips (GC)
7. Zac Reid (ESS)
8. Braeden Campbell (SYD) [Essendon places a bid and Sydney matches]
9. Tanner Bruhn (ESS)
10. Archie Perkins(ESS)
11. Lachie Jones (PA) [Adelaide places a bid and Port matches]
12. Nathan O'Driscoll (ADE)
13. Oliver Henry (GWS)
14. Heath Chapman (NM)
15. Nikolas Cox (FRE)
16. Brayden Cook (GWS)
17. Finlay Macrae (COLL)
18. Jack Carroll (GWS)
19. Tom Powell (COLL)
20. Brandon Walker (FRE) [Richmond places a bid and Fremantle matches]
21. Bailey Laurie (RIC)
22. Reef McInnes (COLL) [Melbourne places a bid and Collingwood matches]
23. Jake Bowey (MELB)
24. Connor Downie (HAW) [Melbourne paces a bid and Hawthorn matches]
25. Seamus Mitchell (MELB)
26. Kaine Baldwin (GWS)
27. Zavier Maher (STK)
28. Caleb Poulter (ADE)
29. Eddie Ford (ADE)

30. Zac Dumesny (HAW)

View attachment 1017554

Ford at 29.... I think I'd need hospitalisation

I'd definitely settle for that even if we miss Hollands and Maher. :)

1. JUH (WB) [Adelaide places a bid and the WB Matches]
2. Riley Thilthorpe (ADE)
3. Logan McDonald (NM) - [The Bombers called through for a trade for their first two picks but it was rejected.]
4. DGB (SYD)
5. Elijah Hollands (HAW)
6. Will Phillips (GC)
7. Zac Reid (ESS)
8. Braeden Campbell (SYD) [Essendon places a bid and Sydney matches]
9. Tanner Bruhn (ESS)
10. Archie Perkins(ESS)
11. Lachie Jones (PA) [Adelaide places a bid and Port matches]
12. Nathan O'Driscoll (ADE)
13. Oliver Henry (GWS)
14. Heath Chapman (NM)
15. Nikolas Cox (FRE)
16. Brayden Cook (GWS)
17. Finlay Macrae (COLL)
18. Jack Carroll (GWS)
19. Tom Powell (COLL)
20. Brandon Walker (FRE) [Richmond places a bid and Fremantle matches]
21. Bailey Laurie (RIC)
22. Reef McInnes (COLL) [Melbourne places a bid and Collingwood matches]
23. Jake Bowey (MELB)
24. Connor Downie (HAW) [Melbourne paces a bid and Hawthorn matches]
25. Seamus Mitchell (MELB)
26. Kaine Baldwin (GWS)
27. Zavier Maher (STK)
28. Caleb Poulter (ADE)
29. Eddie Ford (ADE)

30. Zac Dumesny (HAW)

View attachment 1017554

Certainly my ideal 3 with picks 9, 22 and 23.

Realistically I’m happy with either of Hollands, Thilthorpe or McDonald at 1.

Pretty good draft haul if it turned out that way.
And, I stand to be corrected as always, but RT NO'D & EF are all genuinely aggressive at the ball & player which Crows need. I liked the comment that Crows can't miss with any of RT,LMcD & EH. What a crazy year when Picks 22/23 end upas Picks 28/29.
They may be right, but Phillips to GC has been dismissed by other draft watchers as they have all those midfielders currently. They need to be careful that they don't end up like GWS & lose the very mids they want to retain.

Especially given the GCS have list number management problems why would they? Our 1st rounder next year would be the only bargaining tool we'd have that would interest them. Or 2020 pick 1 LOL
GC list positions may also work in our favour as we can perhaps nab Brodie Lake? I am unsure when their pre-listed zone selections had to be lodged, but looks like they will take 2, and Lake isn’t one of them.

OK coming at you! :)

Perkins is odds on to go to the Dons with one of their picks.

Cannot see us taking Cory Durdin IMO, more likely a mid or a reach for a tall.

Henry Walsh that high? He's really not that good.

You don't think Reef McInnes draws a bid higher than that?

in a draft on NM from a footy writer, we are taking RT,odriscal, poulter and ford, and matching JUH

I understand your point, BUT One thing Vader is that just remember there is a possibility that GC trade down to get say pick 2-3 from NTH / S and then NTH on trade pick 5 who knows?? - anything can happen on draft night - especially seeing as it's so wide open on who will be selected at pick 1.
Well hey, if you want to talk fantasy trading on your AFL Playstation, then anything is possible. Meanwhile, in the real world...

A defender and a forward with a bad injury history...No

I probably rate Maher a fair bit higher than some others so he'd be in that discussion.

pick 1 RT or LM
We have put a lot of work into Hollands, so how do we get him?

chances moving up order probably nil realistically

only chance is our first next year, now I would not do it.

But question is who do we rate higher Hollands or Horne

If it’s Horne we don’t, if it’s Hollands we do

What do we think ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not so sure. I had it in mind that you could not trade the same pick more than once but if each trade involves separate picks than that is fine so the trade proposed above would work. But others may be more across that

FWIW, no doubt Sydney will have already spoken with clubs about that very thing in the unlikely event a bid for campbell comes in before pick 3
You're not allowed to trade down with one team, then trade back up with the same team.

There is nothing to stop teams trading down with one team, then trading back up with another.

pick 1 RT or LM

What do we think ?
I think we leave it to the experts Hamish and his team who have mountains of intel we'll never have or see.

My understanding is that'll we'll use 4 picks + match bids on Borlase/Newchurch or (hopefully) see them through to the rookie list. Not 4 picks, including Borlase/Newchurch.

Currently (incl. Hately) we are sitting at-:

Primary List = 32
Cat A Rookies = 3
Cat B Rookies = 0

If we use 4 ND picks + matching bids on Borlase and/or Newchurch, then our Primary List will be either 36, 37 or 38. (The hope is that Borlase/Newchurch aren't bid on and they can go straight onto our Cat B rookie list).
This then leaves 1-3 Cat A rookie list spots available, depending on, once again, whether Borlase/Newchurch are bid on.

The perfect result, for me, would be-:

Primary: 32 + 4 ND picks = 36
Cat A Rookie List: 3 + 3 RD picks and/or supplementary additions next year = 6
Cat B Rookie List: 0 + Borlase & Newchurch (no bids) = 2
Total Squad = 44 (the maximum)

Anyway, don't take any of the above as being correct... just my understanding!!
I think they'd want to leave 1-2 positions free, to take advantage of the mid-season drafts. This would mean only taking 1-2 Cat A rookies in the RD. Otherwise, I think you're bang on the money.

You're not allowed to trade down with one team, then trade back up with the same team.

There is nothing to stop teams trading down with one team, then trading back up with another.
Correct, I was wrong before.

"Teams attempting live pick swaps this year will not be allowed to make two separate deals with the same team."

pick 1 RT or LM

What do we think ?
Where did you hear this?

I don't give a stuff about pick swaps between GC & Sydney and however else, this draft I just want us to hold the VFL accountable for their ill conceived NGA rort and bid on the BEST PLAYER in the draft that by rights should have been ours as the wooden spooner.

It costs us absolutely nothing to bid and if the VFL don't like the look of it, stuff them, they've been stuffing us up for years.

He's the CLEAR best player so bid on JUH! If we bid on another player as pick 1, even that player knows he's not the best player in the draft.

Now, who do we take at pick 2

Close tomorrow.

There are a few on the GC boards who believe they may take more than 1 pick. It just means they have to take one less rookie.

Of course it makes no sense with their current hand (1, 27, 37, 76) and it's why they're on record saying they will take only one. But lets say we squeezed 11 out of North trading down to 2 then they might be interested in 5 for 9 + 11 because pick 9 and 11 would definitely be more valuable than some of their rookie options.

If so that's our only play for both Thilthorpe and Hollands.

1. McDonald
2. Thilthorpe
3. DGB
4. Phillips / Perkins / Bruhn
5. Hollands

pick 1 RT or LM

What do we think ?
It's very simple... we take Hollands with our #2 pick in the 2020 draft (after the Bulldogs match our bid on JUH at #1), as he's the best player in the draft, and meets a clearly identified need in our team.

Can anyone else not see this thread on the Adelaide board?
I had to click on "Show Ignored Content", at the bottom of the main Adelaide Board page. I'm not sure why - neither this thread, or the one it superseded, were started by anyone on my Ignore List.

Taken from the Essendon board, thanks guys!

Some Bits from Cal Today

• Best Key Forwards in order JUH, McDonald, Thrillthorpe, Cox (Essendon are interested), Matthew Allison
  • Crows working on McDonald/Hollands/Thrillthorpe
  • Collingwood keen to bundle 14 16 and future 1st
  • Gold Coast wanted to move up from 5 to 2, North Rejected the swap
  • Essendon linked to Cox, Interested in Archie Perkins and so is Hawthorn would be a surprise if he went at 4
  • Unlikely for Essendon to trade up
  • DGB the one least likely to fall out of the top 5
  • Nathan O'Driscoll likely 15-25 range a bargain after 25
  • First 5, Next 7, then Next 10 in groups of talents
I'll also add:
  • Hollands unlikely to slide. If he doesn't go Pick 1 (or 2 if we bid on JUH) it sounds like he'll get picked up by North, Syd or Hawks, who've apparently have a fair bit of interest in him.
  • Crows are still open to trading Pick 1 if the 'right deal' is on the table.
  • Brayden Cook likely to be a draft bolter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back