Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

I know it’s later pick swaps, but I just don’t understand the logic of our last two trades:

we traded pick 66 and a future 4th (Melb) for pick 63

then we traded pick 63 and 56 for a future 4th (Freo)

am I right in summarising we effectively paid picks 56 and 66 to gamble that Freo finish lower than Melbourne in 2021? Ie freo 4th will be higher than Melbourne 4th?

I know it’s later pick swaps, but I just don’t understand the logic of our last two trades:

am I right in summarising we effectively paid picks 56 and 66 to gamble that Freo finish lower than Melbourne in 2021? Ie freo 4th will be higher than Melbourne 4th?

That's how I read it, yes. I agree, it seems strange. I guess we're not planning on using those picks anyway and figured we'd make an (extremely minor and only speculative) upgrade on next year's draft?

Odd to say the least.

We're forced out of this draft at pick 40 (we'll be at 42 players by then), so I assume it's to get something from those picks instead of passing on them.

And the top one was probably a sweetener for Brisbane to delist Hinge.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...t-************-knightmare-crows-pick-number-1

"Adelaide should bid on Ugle-Hagan, to keep Western Bulldogs accountable, and also meaning they bid on the most talented player in this draft. Once the Dogs match the bid, Logan McDonald is that clear pick and best available player."

end of conversation. picking thilthorpe at 1 is a flop.

north want mcdonald too. they would not pick thilthorpe at 1.

FFS Mick, lay off thinking anyone cares what you think

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brisbane swap was effectively payment for them releasing Hinge, allowing us to sign him as a DFA. Effectively we have traded for a player outside of the trading period, which is dodgy as ****.

The Freo deal was about getting something of value for 2 picks we were never going to use. These picks had literally zero value to us, so anything we got for them was a bonus.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Brisbane swap was effectively payment for them releasing Hinge, allowing us to sign him as a DFA. Effectively we have traded for a player outside of the trading period, which is dodgy as ****.

The Freo deal was about getting something of value for 2 picks we were never going to use. These picks had literally zero value to us, so anything we got for them was a bonus.

Could there be something in the fact we might need to match a bid in a late round that will eat into next year's picks for that round?

Could there be something in the fact we might need to match a bid in a late round that will eat into next year's picks for that round?
Possibly... but the points value we've given up far exceeds what we've gained. If that's what they were planning, then they would have been better served by keeping the picks (points) in this year's draft.

So it looks like we will be able to get a player of choice next year that goes undrafted as we get priority for finishing last.

Could be very handy.
Obviously Gibbs is the 1st in active player but McKay should become the second if someone is tearing it up

So what do we do if a bid for Borlace comes straight after our pick 40, which would be about 34 on the night, which means we need 345 points to match?

So what do we do if a bid for Borlace comes straight after our pick 40, which would be about 34 on the night, which means we need 345 points to match?

Assuming we don't move any of our first or second rounders (and we don't look like we will), if Borlace attracts a bid after pick 40, he won't be a Crow in 2021.

By that point, our list is full.

I havent been pumping thilthorpes tyres up but are you seriously comparing him to that soft utensil josh jenkins? thilthorpe will crash packs and take contested marks. jj was scared of getting bumped. the guys a f*n mouse.
No, I was comparing JJ to Tom Lynch’s production, as someone had said a Tillthorpes ceiling was like Lynch, and I was saying that I would never give up pick 1 to get Tom Lynch.

i certainly am not interested in debating JJ’s worth as it’s got nothing to do with this thread. I think his career stats do that very adequately anyhow.

Assuming we don't move any of our first or second rounders (and we don't look like we will), if Borlace attracts a bid after pick 40, he won't be a Crow in 2021.

By that point, our list is full.
I thought people were assuming we would trade pick 40 into next year if no bid happens by then. Are you suggesting we will use 40 on a player and then sit there wringing our hands at 41 when someone bids on Borlace, just so we could get a future 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back