Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

I’m swinging back to Thilthorpe. Think people are over thinking it. He’s a beast of a human and I have more confidence that his football will translate to great AFL football.

McDonald I can see not bringing his WAFL form to AFL. His strengths don’t match up as well on AFL defenders as I expect Thilthorpe’s do. Even JUH, just have a suspicion with him that in the big time he’ll be more easily negated than Thilthorpe.
I kind of feel the same way.

But then, my opinion seems to change daily on this ...

IMO both Swans and Hawks would crave the KPD in Grainger-Barrass ......going to be a ripping player
But he is not going to available at both picks so what would be the preference list of each club?

I think if we do trade up to 5 (I doubt we will), then we would have to be targeting a certain player or at least a type so it may influence on who we would pick at #1 (or 2 after the bid)

You know what, I'd even do that GCS pick swap to get Phillips.

He spoke so highly of Nicks, and you can go wrong getting the best true mid in a draft.

But he is not going to available at both picks so what would be the preference list of each club?

I think if we do trade up to 5 (I doubt we will), then we would have to be targeting a certain player or at least a type so it may influence on who we would pick at #1 (or 2 after the bid)
At pick 5 I believe the 2 ‘available’ players at the top of our draft board would likely be Thilthorpe and Phillips with perhaps Perkins the smoky ( I know others have mentioned go home factor hence smoky )

I kind of feel the same way.

But then, my opinion seems to change daily on this ...
Look, all 3 we should be happy with .....I really trust Hamish & the Coach's ....I like Nicks assessment of players, he appears to have a blueprint in mind & the style of player he wants

I'm interested more in pick #9 ......yesterday Perkins was looking at Hawks #4 ....today Twomey saying he could get to North at pick #11 ......players bouncing all over the place

DGB will go to SYD with the earlier pick

1. Hollands
2. McDonald
3. DGB
4. Thilthorpe .....Hawks desperate for talls & like SA kids
5. Phillips

Now if Hawks surprise by taking Phillips ....I'd expect the Crows to have a contingency plan after pick #4 is called

I think we are going Hollands then Callow. Elite mid prospect, big key forward who clunks contested marks.
Then speed at 22/23 - maybe Zavier Maher, Eddie Ford et...
Not a chance with Callow

DeepPassionateGibbon-size_restricted.gif

It's really interesting to consider how the order of the draft will change depending on our pick and how that impacts your strategy as a club to trade up from 9 to 5.

If you take Hollands, it means that there is high likelihood that one of the talls is there at 5. Will that be the tall that you are hoping to get and whether that is a tall that GC wants or doesn't want?

Hollands
McDonald
Grainger-Barras
Phillips
Thilthorpe

That would probably be our hope if we are looking to trade up.

Hawks and Swans are interesting in this mix. What do they want. Do Swans want a KPD, or do they go with KPF (Although McDonald and Blakey are similar types) or would they prefer KPF/Ruck? Do the Hawks want a midfielder, a KPD, a KPF or a KPF/ruck?

So many permutations and I am sure if both Crows and GC (if they have agreed a deal in principle) would be sitting together and trying to dictate the flow of the draft with our 1st pick.

From that lot, probably only Swans could pick and choose what type of player they want but for Roo and Hawks, they need help in all areas just like us.
If we missed Thilthorpe at 5 it's pretty simple really we take Nikolas Cox who skills wise is just about the best 198 - 200+cm tall to come through the draft....ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t seem to rate kicking skills nearly as highly as I do. There is simply no better way to improve your forward line than to get players in the middle who are elite by foot. Most forwards are competing against 4 or 5 extra numbers around them these days, so the days of just belting the ball in the direction of Wayne Carey and everything will be OK are long gone.
And Macrae is pretty vanilla in every other regard. Not the kind of player we should be using pick 9 on. #22 #23 fine.

Last edited:
If we missed Thilthorpe at 5 it's pretty simple really we take Nikolas Cox who skills wise is just about the best 198 - 200+cm tall to come through the draft....ever.

This is why I've been thinking we'll go Hollands with our first this whole time, and I still think we will.

I think he's worthy of Pick 2, and I think we can either trade for Thilthorpe at Hawks/GC picks or pick up a tall at Pick 9

DGB will go to SYD with the earlier pick

1. Hollands
2. McDonald
3. DGB
4. Thilthorpe .....Hawks desperate for talls & like SA kids
5. Phillips

Now if Hawks surprise by taking Phillips ....I'd expect the Crows to have a contingency plan after pick #4 is called
2 mids with top 2 picks? Not convinced we would do that. I think if we are trading up its to get a KPF and a mid.

If we take McDonald at 1 and then move up to 5 to take Phillips that would be an excellent draft on our behalf.
The same could be said if we take Thilthorpe at 1 and move up to 5 to take Hollands if he's there or Philips.

We have pick 1, I'm happy with taking an of the 3

Miss out on Tilly?
I bloddy hope we take Cox ahead of Tilly, he's upside is enormous.

At pick 5 I believe the 2 ‘available’ players at the top of our draft board would likely be Thilthorpe and Phillips with perhaps Perkins the smoky ( I know others have mentioned go home factor hence smoky )
Yet Rendell who I'd be sure would have interviewed Phillips almost for certain while at Collingwood seems to think he's the biggest risk to head home of the lot?

ADELAIDE
PICKS: 1, 9, 22, 23, 40, 80.
KEY DEFENDERS: Tom Doedee, Daniel Talia, Fischer McAsey, Jordon Butts.
SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Rory Laird, Brodie Smith, Luke Brown, Mitch Hinge, Jake Kelly, Will Hamill, Andrew McPherson.
MIDFIELDERS: Rory Sloane, Matt Crouch, Lachlan Sholl, Wayne Milera, Harry Schoenberg, Ben Keays, Chayce Jones, David Mackay, Paul Seedsman, Lachie Gollant, Ronin O’Connor.
KEY FORWARDS: Tom Lynch, Taylor Walker, Elliot Himmelberg, Darcy Fogarty, Josh Worrell.
SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Shane McAdam, Ned McHenry, Lachie Murphy, Tyson Stengle, Ben Davis.
RUCKS: Reilly O’Brien, Billy Frampton, Kieran Strachan.

For the first time in the club's three-decade history, the Crows hold the trump card heading into the national draft after their first wooden-spoon season. The rebuild is on in earnest, and there are two key questions to be answered. First, will Adelaide force the Western Bulldogs' hand by bidding on Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and therefore bump the Crows' pick back to No.2? Either way there is the matter of who the Crows will actually end up selecting. Talls Logan McDonald and Riley Thilthorpe, along with the dynamic midfielder/forward Elijah Hollands are the three real options. The considerations don't end there though. At pick No.9, set to move back to at least No.10 because of a matched bid on Ugle-Hagan, Adelaide have been linked to bids for Braeden Campbell and Reef McInnes, while the likes of Finlay Macrae, Tanner Bruhn and Oliver Henry are all expected to fall around the range of the Crows' second pick. If the Crows want local midfielder Tom Powell it appears they will need to snap him up with their second pick, with other clubs lurking later in the first round. Adelaide have made it clear they are willing to part with one of their two picks in the 20s on draft night. Caleb Poulter, Liam Kolar and Luke Pedlar have all been linked to Adelaide in this range. James Borlase and Tariek Newchurch are both available to Adelaide as next generation academy players later in the draft. The Crows will snap up Jackson Hately in Thursday's pre-season draft.

Do you mean like an Elijah Hollands type player ? ................. :)
Well yeah, personally I’d take Holland’s and Macrae, mostly because we have so many mid to poor kicks in our side. Scholl and Hamill are a welcome addition, Milera and Smith obviously are great, but not much else. However there are a few others with great foot skills in this draft so it doesn’t have to be those two. I would just love to see us a better team by foot next year whoever we take.

Had a wander over to the Essendon board and it seems as though at 6 they want to bid on Reef to steal him out from Collingwood.

Their preferred 3 is McInnes, Perkins and Cox, they believe the top 5 player most likely to slip is Thilthorpe and that if he fell to 6 they wouldn't take him but would offer him to us for a "king's ransom" alot have mentioned his groins and preferring Cox over him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back