Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Nathan O'Driscoll interview..

Love this lad's outlook on footy.

Talks about his mate Logan McDonald

No problem moving interstate

Potential first round pick Nathan O’Driscoll says he loves the tough side of the game and in particular tackling.

Speaking on SEN's The Captains Run on Friday morning, the West Australian prospect revealed what he loves most about the game.

“Definitely that competitiveness. Going in hard, cracking in for the footy and winning my own ball and tackling,” O’Driscoll said.

“I love the tough side of the game. I don’t mind tackling them hard, you’ve got to make them earn it. I love it.”

The tough on-baller, who hails from WAFL club Perth, spoke of how the COVID layoff during the season actually worked in his favour.

“Lucky enough I was struck with injury right when COVID hit, so I was doing rehab throughout that time and got my body right for the season re-start when we were allowed to play again,” O’Driscoll said.

“So I was actually pretty lucky.

Last edited:
Hollands is my final pick. Would be happy with either of the other two but I think some of the stuff Hollands can do is magic. Clearly most talented kid in this draft. Leadership and character are big bonuses.

Also, Hamish mentioned this year especially you have to go over a body of work. Talked about 2018 and 2019 junior years for these boys. This probably bodes well for Hollands and TT but maybe not so for McDonald who only came into calculations this year.

Hollands is my final pick. Would be happy with either of the other two but I think some of the stuff Hollands can do is magic. Clearly most talented kid in this draft. Leadership and character are big bonuses.

Also, Hamish mentioned this year especially you have to go over a body of work. Talked about 2018 and 2019 junior years for these boys. This probably bodes well for Hollands and TT but maybe not so for McDonald who only came into calculations this year.
That's not quite correct in Logan McDonald's defence, he' been well and truly on AFL recruiters radars right through his junior career. AA at U16 level and WA rep last year as an under-ager which is a pretty mean effort for an underdeveloped Key Forward.

Capture.PNG

The draft bolter's chance meeting with St Kilda speedster

“Chance meeting” but happens to be a Saints fan and now training with Hill. Sounds a bit like the sling boy who ended up doing his rehab at St Kilda in his draft year. I thought draftees weren’t supposed to link with a club pre draft excluding AFL sanctioned training blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

“Chance meeting” but happens to be a Saints fan and now training with Hill. Sounds a bit like the sling boy who ended up doing his rehab at St Kilda in his draft year. I thought draftees weren’t supposed to link with a club pre draft excluding AFL sanctioned training blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Max King did his rehab at the Saints and it's been a common practice I think you'll find for Sandringham Dragons lads to use the Saints facilities during rehab. I seem to recall in the past some Sandy Dragons lads playing a match or 2 for the Saints VFL team as part of their development so I suspect there is some sort of alignment thing going on there.

In the past some of the Ballarat Rebels lads played a game or 2 for the now defunct North Ballarat Roosters when they were in the VFL, I clearly remember both Rowan Marshall and Lloyd Meek playing VFL under those same circumstances.

Poulter is more outside right now, but what do expect fro him at AFL? How likely is he to be become more inside leaning?
I don't see that happening, playing him inside would negate some of his best assets for mine with his run, carry, aerial ability and penetrating kick, ideally I think he plays an Isaac Smith type role playing wide of the contest roaming between half back/wing/half forward where he would wreak havoc with his damaging kick.

Nathan O'Driscoll interview..

Love this lad's outlook on footy.

Talks about his mate Logan McDonald

No problem moving interstate

Potential first round pick Nathan O’Driscoll says he loves the tough side of the game and in particular tackling.

Speaking on SEN's The Captains Run on Friday morning, the West Australian prospect revealed what he loves most about the game.

“Definitely that competitiveness. Going in hard, cracking in for the footy and winning my own ball and tackling,” O’Driscoll said.

“I love the tough side of the game. I don’t mind tackling them hard, you’ve got to make them earn it. I love it.”

The tough on-baller, who hails from WAFL club Perth, spoke of how the COVID layoff during the season actually worked in his favour.

“Lucky enough I was struck with injury right when COVID hit, so I was doing rehab throughout that time and got my body right for the season re-start when we were allowed to play again,” O’Driscoll said.

“So I was actually pretty lucky.

Some phantoms have him going mid-first round, others have him drifting to the 20s (around the mark for our two second round picks).

Where do you see his name being called?

Yes it will ....Nicks doesn't want players who won't fit into his gameplan .....as said by a poster yesterday, the club won't pick two CHB players with #1 and #9 ....so needs are always a factor
Hamish's answer to the question about clubs strengthening their hand in next year's draft by trading "out" of this draft was interesting.

He mentioned that this is a talls draft and next year is a midfielders draft with good SA kids.

I might be reading too much into this but I reckon we are going tall with one of the first two picks. Also said there is not a lot separating the top 4 that we have narrowed down for pick 1.

Generally, when there is not a lot in it, you tend to go with a strength of the draft or a list need. Not prepared to rule out tall with our first pick. If this is the case my preference is Thilthorpe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also desperately need a tall forward.
My gut is that Thilthorpe falls to Essendon’s pick, after Reid goes to GC at 5. Thil is as close to a Daniher replacement as they’ll find, they won’t pass him up

Crows supporters madness will then ensue with calls of “Why didn’t we trade up?!?!?!”

I hate to sound ungrateful for our draft hand, but it really does suck for us. The best draft hand we have ever had and it happens to fall in the year where there has been limited exposure to viewing the u18 competitions.

Clubs reluctant to give up or come after our picks, which probably would have happened in any other year.

My gut is that Thilthorpe falls to Essendon’s pick, after Reid goes to GC at 5. Thil is as close to a Daniher replacement as they’ll find, they won’t pass him up

Crows supporters madness will then ensue with calls of “Why didn’t we trade up?!?!?!”
+1

He may have slid if the Dons had just one pick, but not three in a row.

Zero chance he gets past the Dons.

Has there been any new rumours/news on the Crows trying to grab Pick 5 from the Suns if the Crows takes Hollands at Pick 1 and TT is available at the Suns selection?

Thanks in advance.
We've never shown the ability to move up a draft, so I wouldn't expect it to happen.

Every club wants to do it, very few are actually able to do it.

Hamish's answer to the question about clubs strengthening their hand in next year's draft by trading "out" of this draft was interesting.

He mentioned that this is a talls draft and next year is a midfielders draft with good SA kids.

I might be reading too much into this but I reckon we are going tall with one of the first two picks. Also said there is not a lot separating the top 4 that we have narrowed down for pick 1.

Generally, when there is not a lot in it, you tend to go with a strength of the draft or a list need. Not prepared to rule out tall with our first pick. If this is the case my preference is Thilthorpe.
Also good reason to keep our cards close to our chest.

if there’s not much in it then you simply can’t rule out a trade for the right offer from NM or Syd. they not have an even talent order and want a specific player that they would be prepared to pay up to guarantee

Examples i would be strongly thinking about:
- 1 and 9 for 2 and norths 1st rounder next year
- 1 and 23 for 2 and 11 (gives us 2, 9, 11 and potential to try move up to 4/5 with that)

let’s not forget, if a bug on JUH is likely at pick 1, then trading the pick isn’t as controversial given it’s not actually pick 1.

I could see us bidding at 1, then a live trade as a possible scenario

He won't slide past the Bombers. If we want both Hollands and Thilthorpe then Gold Coast is our only hope and I am not sure Riley lasts until pick 5 either.

This time last year he was in conversations for #1 pick. Seriously under rated on this board. Will be a star.

We've never shown the ability to move up a draft, so I wouldn't expect it to happen.

Every club wants to do it, very few are actually able to do it.

True, but also we have not had the opportunity and the picks to be able to reasonably achieve this.

Not to mention in the foreseeable future, our Future 1st and 2nd holds more value than at any other time in our history.

Thes are my thoughts on the big 3:

Talent:
EH 3, LM 2, RT 1

Xfactor
EH 3, RT 2, LM 1

Exposed Form
LM 3, RT 2, EH 1

Health:
LM 3, RT 2, EH 1

Personality/Leadership
EH 3, RT 2, LM 1

Ceiling
EH 3, RT 2, LM 1

Go Home Factor
RT 3, EH 2, LM1

That gives totals
EH 16, LM 12, RT 14

These are only my thoughts, but I'd go Hollands as a result.
Interesting way to look at it. Let Hamish know so we get EH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back