Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Seriously ******* give it up. Even I couldn't tell you what number post it was and yet I'm the obsessed one?? It's kind of creepy that you did. LOL If you don't think you have an obsession with being some kind of internet police then I don't know what to tell you.

Par for the course for this board post any AFL event is for the fawning over how much better than the Crows Port do everything...which is absolute and thorough bullshit. My pre-emptive post comes from that, and I don't give a flying fu** what you or any other numpty posting here thinks about that.
You know it takes 2 secs to check someone’s posts? You called me an idiot, you clearly don’t know what obsession means, I had to point it out for you and the easiest way to do that was to show you your posting history.

It’s ok, your obsessed.

You know it takes 2 secs to check someone’s posts? You called me an idiot, you clearly don’t know what obsession means, I had to point it out for you and the easiest way to do that was to show you your posting history.

It’s ok, your obsessed.
If loving the Crows and hating Port and posting about it is being obsessed, then I’ll wear that as a badge of honour. Thank you.

The AFL has said that clubs will just be able to sign players. If there's a clash, then it's sorted by ladder order. They haven't stated whether that's 2020 ladder order, or the ladder order at the time of the draft.

I suspect that most clubs, including Adelaide, will be looking at the Victorian players rather than SA players. The SA kids had a reasonable number of games in which to expose their form this year. Those who missed out (including Baldwin) did so on merit - they simply weren't good enough to be drafted. The Victorian kids didn't play a single game (other than the few selected to play the All-Stars game). Recruiters will be watching them closely, to see what (if any) improvement has occurred since last they saw them.
Bit tough to say those who missed out weren't good enough to be drafted. A lot missed out as they didn't have the opportunity to play this year, and show the natural progression.

Probably, but the AFL weren't at all clear when they explained it in their media release.

... it's almost as if they employ someone specifically for the purpose of writing their media releases so badly that everything remains as ambiguous as possible.
It's the AFL Vader, they probably don't know yet. They will make up the rules just before the draft occurs when the ladder positions at the time are clearer

Probably, but the AFL weren't at all clear when they explained it in their media release.

... it's almost as if they employ someone specifically for the purpose of writing their media releases so badly that everything remains as ambiguous as possible.
Indeed.

Gives them more flexibility to make it up on the run depending on their mood.

He mentioned it's also targeting a need and not best available. This probably means speed so maybe Maher?
There could be a few. Kolar, Callow. Probably not Ollie Davis.

What do others think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Kolar is the one, gives us a chance to really have a look at him.

I don't think it'll be Kolar seeing how coy ae were about it (nor is KP a need at this moment). There was a WA ruck that was mentioned a while back, Lane I think? Might be in the right direction for who we add, especially as our 1st ruck stocks look thin.

I don't think it'll be Kolar seeing how coy ae were about it (nor is KP a need at this moment). There was a WA ruck that was mentioned a while back, Lane I think? Might be in the right direction for who we add, especially as our 1st ruck stocks look thin.
This is true, I mean with Kolars athletic profile I see him as a tall winger more than KPF.

A ruck would be interesting, though I'm not sure we really need one. ROB gets hurt and it'll be time to have a look at Strachanie for a period of time. Berg could quite easily chop out for a period of time too....and Frampton. Not ideal but in a year when we aren't challenging it probably doesn't matter.

That said, if we really like a kid then I'm all for giving him a go.

So anyone got a list of the players who missed out on being drafted that we could be looking at for SUP?..

Baldwin maybe..
Kolar
Callow
Maher
That suns lad??.. Lake was it? Did he get drafted in the RD?.
Others?

Whos everyone keen on?..

Sounds like, listening to H Og that it could be an interstate lad they have in mind and that Baldwin is currently out of contention for it..

So anyone got a list of the players who missed out on being drafted that we could be looking at for SUP?..

Baldwin maybe..
Kolar
Callow
Maher
That suns lad??.. Lake was it? Did he get drafted in the RD?.
Others?

Whos everyone keen on?..

Sounds like, listening to H Og that it could be an interstate lad they have in mind and that Baldwin is currently out of contention for it..
Brodie Lake yeah... There's a few options. Plenty of draftable kids. Don't reckon we'll go Callow.

This is true, I mean with Kolars athletic profile I see him as a tall winger more than KPF.

A ruck would be interesting, though I'm not sure we really need one. ROB gets hurt and it'll be time to have a look at Strachanie for a period of time. Berg could quite easily chop out for a period of time too....and Frampton. Not ideal but in a year when we aren't challenging it probably doesn't matter.

That said, if we really like a kid then I'm all for giving him a go.

There is definitely a need for a developing ruck on our list. Strachan will probably be gone by the end of the year with the next round of delistings, Frampton won't be too far away either and Berg is probably wasted as a ruck.

It probably doesn't in the short term (I.e. you have ROB fit or your chance of getting pick 1 has increased dramatically), but there is certainly an obvious gap if you look ahead for the next 2-3 years. Rucks are probably also weird enough where you do want to get in early with it as well.

I'd like to see Lake, Kolar and Maher in the mix.

He mentioned it's also targeting a need and not best available. This probably means speed so maybe Maher?

Not sure, I reckon it's someone that's under the radar, considering it was confirmed they'd already agreed to 'come over'. Surely these plans wouldn't have been in place if there was a chance that person could have been taken in the rookie draft. Sounds like we've had this one arranged for a while.

Bit tough to say those who missed out weren't good enough to be drafted. A lot missed out as they didn't have the opportunity to play this year, and show the natural progression.
This is true, but you need to take it to the next step - they represented a high risk / low reward prospect to the AFL clubs, due to the lack of exposed form. This is why they weren't selected in the ND or the RD, and why so many clubs have held positions open for the pre-season supplementary period & mid-season drafts.

Note that only 12 players were selected in the RD, who hadn't previously been on an AFL list. Of these, only 3 were from Victoria. The clubs simply didn't see any value in selecting these players, even as rookies, at this point in time.

The high risk / low reward thinking is why Mackay still represented better value than a selection in this year's RD. At worst, Mackay is low risk / medium reward.

Not sure, I reckon it's someone that's under the radar, considering it was confirmed they'd already agreed to 'come over'. Surely these plans wouldn't have been in place if there was a chance that person could have been taken in the rookie draft. Sounds like we've had this one arranged for a while.
Theres always the "if no one picks you up, do you want to come and train with us ??"

I want a project KPD. They take longer to develop. Also if we can avoid having to ever use a top 10 pick for needs on a KPD then all the better. E.g. DGB looks like a future star, but I’d hope we were never in a position to have to take him over a mid or KPF.

I like Butts, think he is going to be a good player for us, similar and hopefully better than Hartigan. I’d like us to look at either someone like that or a project ruckman (same reasoning, but less of a need right now).

All other positions we have a long line that they would need to get in front of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back