Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Not sure they go for 2 talls after taking Harrison Jones with their first pick last year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn’t Cody Brand a tall and an NGA for them -195cm defender

They have him coming through a bit later in the draft so unless Reid or Cox is a forward that think they would take TT

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Endurance is already one of his strengths.
Are we talking D Fog? He def needs to work on his tank but also i think he lacks some key natural fwd key skills ... ie spills chest marks on charging leads and disappears for long periods of time in the game. Beautiful kick though... would love to see him become a star and its on him to put the work in.

apparently thilthorpe sees himself as a midfielder.

Just curious as you have been vocal to not pick him what is your knock on him. I look at him and see:

Genuine size to be a KPF

Great contested Mark -clearly better in this regard than McDonald

Elite speed and endurance for someone of his size - won the 2km time trial at Westies

Can kick either foot

Has game sense as seen in some of his ground work

Good below his knees

Only knock his groins but then Hollands coming off an ACL. Also the club has worked closely with his injury management so would know where he is at ( and my understanding is he had recovered late in the season)

So what skill set does he lack that concerns you that you feel he may not be even top 5 or 10?

Hollands is a goal kicking skilled good sized player that moves like Bont. I want that.

Thilthorpe looks like a powerful big man with a high footy IQ. I want that.

McDonald looks like someone that dominates the lower levels where there is space. Not as interested.

All three might be great. All three might be relative flops.

Oh the joys of hindsight are going to be thick on the ground in here over the next few years!!!
McDonald dominated lower levels?

We played good footy this year as a teenager at senior state league level

How many potential draftees done that this year?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are we talking D Fog? He def needs to work on his tank but also i think he lacks some key natural fwd key skills ... ie spills chest marks on charging leads and disappears for long periods of time in the game. Beautiful kick though... would love to see him become a star and its on him to put the work in.
Ignore me - I'm heat affected!! I thought that they were having a silly discussion about RT. Speaking of RT, article in this morning's 'Tiser discussing which lad the Crows might pick & EH not mentioned once - do they know something or are they just guessing that it's down to the two big lads?!!

Just curious as you have been vocal to not pick him what is your knock on him. I look at him and see:

Genuine size to be a KPF

Elite speed and endurance for someone of his size - won the 2km time trial at Westies

Can kick either foot

Good below his knees

Only knock his groins but then Hollands coming off an ACL. Also the club has worked closely with his injury management so would know where he is at ( and my understanding is he had recovered late in the season)

So what skill set does he lack that concerns you that you feel he may not be even top 5 or 10?

I'm still on the fence, but this point has been overlooked - a person qualified to comment(it might have been the Westies coach or Bamford) said weeks ago that RT contributed to his groin issues by "over-training" & the same person pointed out that whichever AFL club he goes to, they'll take him in hand & ensure he has a more nuanced training programme.

Any thoughts of Thilthorpe or Hollands making it through to our second pick are fantasy, not worth the key strokes.

I reckon the choice at pick 1 after bidding on JUH is simple, Thilthorpe or McDonald.

We should still get a potentially top mid at pick 9.

Was thinking about how high many were on this board a few weeks back using pick 1 & 2 plus getting big talents Edwards, Borlase & Newchurch for late junk picks. We've still got a great draft hand but well down on where it looked back then. Just need to select the correct players now, we were all confident about Gooch, Jones, McHenry at the time, turned/ing to poo now.

Any thoughts of Thilthorpe or Hollands making it through to our second pick are bet worthy that it wont happen, not worth the key strokes.

I reckon the choice at pick 1 after bidding on JUH is simple, Thilthorpe or McDonald.

We should still get a potentially top mid at pick 9.

Was thinking about how high many were on this board a few weeks back using pick 1 & 2 plus getting big talents Edwards, Borlase & Newchurch for late junk picks. We've still got a great draft hand but well down on where it looked back then. Just need to select the correct players now, we were all confident about Gooch, Jones, McHenry at the time, turned/ing to poo now.
FTFY:cool:

McDonald dominated lower levels?

We played good footy this year as a teenager at senior state league level

How many potential draftees done that this year?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not saying it isn't rare ... Just didn't feel like it would transfer to AFL.

Who was the last player to do it of his ilk?

Just my view on it, all the vision I see doesn't give me that feeling that he will have the same impact in the top tier.

I have not seen any of them live, so my thoughts are very thin skinned. I'm not going to throw down like some on here on how awesome I am at identifying talent via YouTube!!!

If we do pick McDonald, I think we really also need to plug our skills gap in the middle.

McDonald looks to do well with nicely weighted passes kicked to advantage. I'm unsure how he goes making something out of nothing. If he's relying on quality ball from our midfield as it currently stands, we will be in big trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine size to be a KPF

Can kick either foot

Good below his knees

I’ll have a crack. BTW I definitely don’t so much have a knock on him, as feel that he isn’t our biggest requirement. In the modern game defensive pressure is so important that I just can’t see having 3 guys over 200cm playing ruck and forward is viable. Therefore I think he would replace Himmo, and spending pick 1 on slightly upgrading an already strong area seems absurd.

As for your points, I think they are nearly all true, but they could also describe Nick Cox even more accurately. They could in fact decribe a lot of athletic, tall kids, but miss some pretty vital areas. I’ve admitedly only watched 4 or 5 games Riley has played, but I actually don’t think he’s a dominant contested mark at all. He also doesn’t have a great jump. It would have been really interesting to see him test because if you watch the futures game last year, he is pretty well beaten by Walsh in the pure rucking and jumping areas. This makes me nervous that he excelled in these areas 2 years ago when he was just huge compared to his opponents. Then as a forward he just doesn’t seem to have natural abilities to find space and separation. His strength is definitely direct at the ball leading as he has the acceleration and size to be very effective, but he certainly isn’t showing signs of being an elite forward to me at this stage. For this reason I think he projects as a really good ruckman that spends time as a dangerous pinch hitting forward. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact he probably is worthy of top 3 in the draft, it’s more that with so many areas that we really struggled in this year, it just doesn’t make sense to me to be prioritising an area that we are already strong in.

lastly, I obviously am not a doctor so would totally trust the experts on this, but groin issues so often become a chronic problem, that sees players having to adjust training loads throughout their entire careers, and never get that continuity that is so important to big guys to reach their ceiling, that in any 50/50 call I would be going the other way.

Multiple posters here worrying about him being undersized. I’m saying it won’t matter when we see the player he will be.

Nothing weird about it. Quite a logical sequence of posts if you spend the one or two seconds it takes to process them.
Except surely it DOES matter for where he will be drafted.

I'm going to retract my comment and back you in.

I was told very clear that the club felt if they missed Thilthope early that both Reid & Cox should be there at our 2nd pick.

How accurate this is I'm not sure.
One of Reid and Cox will definitely be available at our pick.

That doesn't effect where Thilthorpe gets drafted.

You have to remind yourself - Faith just guesses and makes things up. He throws a lot of cards in the air and likes to hold outlandish views. Most famous is probably that Lukosius was overrated and would be a disappointment.

When you read his views, remember - Cox hasn't played this year, is a skinny boy who may never bulk up, and has never settled into a position. I would think he's a better Josh Worrall. Great potential, but still a mystery as to best position.

There's a bit of Jarrad Grant about him - who was also a very early choice, so that's certainly likely.

Another thing:

Jackson Callow is a Jack Gunston that will slide to the 2nd round.

2 years from now I'll bet anyone that this kid will be talked about as a huge Smokey.
Gunston is much more mobile than Callow.

I would have thought Callow is more a Levi Casboult type.,

If we do pick McDonald, I think we really also need to plug our skills gap in the middle.

McDonald looks to do well with nicely weighted passes kicked to advantage. I'm unsure how he goes making something out of nothing. If he's relying on quality ball from our midfield as it currently stands, we will be in big trouble.

Keep saying this, Jack Carroll is the one. Have to consider him at 9.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back