Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

I'm almost certain they will.

Phillips is the third musketeer from last year's TAC premiers, with Rowell and Anderson. He arrives to play with his close mates, and adds a lot of what they need.

Reading over their list, it seems almost essential. Their mids are an issue, as the previous generation of draftees (Bowes, Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie) haven't given them any true A list mids, and the senior mids - Miller, Greenwood, Ellis, Weller - all are best as support staff, not prime players.
Don’t forget they are getting a early to mid 1st round midfielder in Davies

I know that they are super keen for another key forward and would love McDonald

Thats the thing isnt it. We have pick 1. If we pick a kf who can ruck (unless we are holding him back for a year due to groins / development) you play him - hype and development everyone will push for it. IMO It will always be Berg vs TT unless we trade Berg.
Yep, bottom line is that if you take the SA rose colored glasses off, we are the least in need of Thillthorpe of any team in the top 4 of the draft.

My current "ideal", and semi realistic, draft outcome:
1: Elijah Hollands - end of the day, out of Hollands, Thilthorpe and McDonald, who's standing up in the last half of a GF and winning you a premiership? Who's the Darren Jarman, the Dustin Martin? Its Hollands. TT and McDonald will help you get there, but Hollands wins it. That's what I want from pick 1. I'm also probably just as worried about TT's groins as I am Hollands knee. OP can ruin years and years, just look at Danniher, at Brad Crouch and the time they've missed. Do they come out as good on the other side?

9: Nathan O'Driscoll - Perhaps a bit of a reach, but everything I read tells me we'd be all over this kid. Great size, athletic, can play inside and half back, cracks in as hard as anyone. Good solid country lad, genuine midfielder. After the top 6 or 7, I don't see any clear standouts, hence I'm happy to grab O'Driscoll.

22: Eddie Ford - Similar role to Hollands, just not quite as polished/consistent. Athletic, tackles hard, great size and kicks goals. I'm a fan of half forwards who can rotate through the middle. Similarly can play tall/small and has that real enigmatic factor about him, where he can just turn it on and change a game.

23: Caleb Poulter - 192cm midfielder with pace and a penetrating, accurate left foot. Still needs to work on contested work, but has come a long way in 12 months by the sounds, having previously been an outside mid. Still skinny, once he puts a bit of meat on will be an imposing prospect. I like the guys that can offer more than just "pure inside mid", pure inside mids tend to be quite one dimensional, finding it both hard to get into the team, but also tend to be a little dime a dozen. Its the guys who can win inside ball, but also link and be damaging on the outside, as well as play a half fwd/back role as well that offer real value. Plus we're grabbing Hately as a more pure inside bull and already have Matt Crouch likely hanging around.

40: Kaine Baldwin - Elite key forward prospect weighed down by injury, have gone mids thus far, need a key forward to develop. If Baldwins available at 40, I think he's pretty hard to resist. If not perhaps we might grab Callow, you know Hamish struggles to say no to a good Tasmanian.

NGA 1: James Borlase - Less likely to make it through, but by no means out of the questions, would be great if he lasts.
NGA 2: Tariek Newchurch - Is a rookie style prospect, lots of talent, but hasn't put it all together yet.

Relatively mid heavy, but I think this is our major need, especially in terms of bigger bodied and classy mids.

I think we've got a reasonable crop of developing key forwards and defenders, which if you add Baldwin and Borlase is strengthened. Ford and Hollands both potentially play 3rd tall forward as well and Mitch Hinge probably adds some 3rd tall defensive cover as well.

I can Jeff .....time for Jackson to earn his pay, and I believe in Nicks influence

Yep, I've long been big on Stengle. The talent is there, could be the next Eddie Betts IMO, just needs to get things right between the ears, become a true professsional. Talent is not stopping Tyson Stengle.

There will be lots of contrarian view picks in the first 30 picks to what the draft watchers and media people say , it was evident in spades last year and will be even more so this year given the year we’ve had

Agreed, even amongst the recruiters, I imagine there's be significant variation on where they place players, which is one of the reasons I reckon we'll end up using 40 as a "live pick", whilst hoping Borlase slips through. Odds on, someone I reckon that we'll rate in the top 20, will slip through to 40, which likely moves in a few picks as well.

Yep, bottom line is that if you take the SA rose colored glasses off, we are the least in need of Thillthorpe of any team in the top 4 of the draft.
Whilst that's true, it still doesn't mean we don't need him.

It's not like he's a HB/Wing type that we have an overabundance of

My current "ideal", and semi realistic, draft outcome:
1: Elijah Hollands - end of the day, out of Hollands, Thilthorpe and McDonald, who's standing up in the last half of a GF and winning you a premiership? Who's the Darren Jarman, the Dustin Martin? Its Hollands. TT and McDonald will help you get there, but Hollands wins it. That's what I want from pick 1. I'm also probably just as worried about TT's groins as I am Hollands knee. OP can ruin years and years, just look at Danniher, at Brad Crouch and the time they've missed. Do they come out as good on the other side?

9: Nathan O'Driscoll - Perhaps a bit of a reach, but everything I read tells me we'd be all over this kid. Great size, athletic, can play inside and half back, cracks in as hard as anyone. Good solid country lad, genuine midfielder. After the top 6 or 7, I don't see any clear standouts, hence I'm happy to grab O'Driscoll.
Some suggestion Nathan O'Driscoll could be gettable at Pick #22 / 23

My question to you is have either Rankine or Lukosius given even a slight hint they are unhappy at the GCS?
Neither had any hesitation in inking a new contract that I'm aware of?

I have no doubt that the smart play for both of them was to take the early coin available to them, no matter how reckless it’s been from a salary cap point of view from GC. Reading the GC board it sounds like they’ll be running pretty close to 100% TPP in the next year or two. We SHOULD in a better financial position when they come out of contract to have a decent crack at one of them.

Maybe they might have signed with us if we had the ability to put a decent offer on the table, maybe not.

I do have it on very good authority that Lukosius is not fully settled in the GC, despite signing the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some suggestion Nathan O'Driscoll could be gettable at Pick #22 / 23

This is where I mentioned its a bit of a reach, which we've shown ourselves to be quite happy to do. I'm quite keen on the trio of O'Driscoll, Ford and Poulter, unless there's a slider, there's not too many others at 9 that I'm desperate to draft.

This is where I mentioned its a bit of a reach, which we've shown ourselves to be quite happy to do. I'm quite keen on the trio of O'Driscoll, Ford and Poulter, unless there's a slider, there's not too many others at 9 that I'm desperate to draft.
What about Powell ? .....where do you think he goes ?

Would we consider at pick #9 ......and if Powell v Bruhn, who do you choose

# Mutineer

Don’t forget they are getting a early to mid 1st round midfielder in Davies

I know that they are super keen for another key forward and would love McDonald
I don't really think Davies will be much better than an upmarket Hugh Greenwood.

A good big body, but I think he is a bit error prone.

Just my view. You certainly still take the blue chipper in Phillips to match with his mates.

What?

Who knows about Himmelburg. Thilthorpe is a straight line but who can absolutely clunk a grab. He's a genuine AFL size and much more skilled and mobile than he looks.

He's absolutely what any team would need.

Whilst that's true, it still doesn't mean we don't need him.

It's not like he's a HB/Wing type that we have an overabundance of
True, which makes us taking Mitch Hinge Pretty baffling. Especially if it costs us Borlase or Newchurch.
what we are really in need of is an X factor A grade midfielder who can go forward and dominate a game. If only there was someone like that at the top of this draft.😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt that the smart play for both of them was to take the early coin available to them, no matter how reckless it’s been from a salary cap point of view from GC. Reading the GC board it sounds like they’ll be running pretty close to 100% TPP in the next year or two. We SHOULD in a better financial position when they come out of contract to have a decent crack at one of them.

Maybe they might have signed with us if we had the ability to put a decent offer on the table, maybe not.

I do have it on very good authority that Lukosius is not fully settled in the GC, despite signing the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yea I believe Luko is the more gettable one, and in a couple of years the Crows will be in the perfect place to offer him a decent place in a team on the rise,

I'm not a fan of taking a player 10 or more spots lower than the general consensus of the talent order. I can live with taking a player 2 or 3 spots earlier but 10 to 13 out of order means that we aren't taking the best talent available and if we aren't doing that we may as well trade pick 9 for pick 20 and a future 2021/1st (if it's around pick 14). We must get full value for our picks. Same with pick 1 if we are taking a player that isn't perceived at pick 1 we should trade the pick to extract maximum value ( i.e. trade it to the Swans for pick 3 and a future 2021/2nd).

Last edited:
9 is a really tough spot in the draft. Almost everyone will feel like a bit of a reach, because it's the top of that next tier.

I'd almost take Hollands with our first pick, and take the best remaining tall here - Cox, Reid etc.

True, which makes us taking Mitch Hinge Pretty baffling. Especially if it costs us Borlase or Newchurch.
what we are really in need of is an X factor A grade midfielder who can go forward and dominate a game. If only there was someone like that at the top of this draft.😉
If he didn't do his knee I suspect we'd have already made our choice, it's complicated things somewhat. Also, even if he didn't we still wouldn't have been able to see the progression which is sad.

With Hinge, I think he's a genuine utility. Probably depth at this stage but he seems versatile enough to play everywhere

What about Powell ? .....where do you think he goes ?

Would we consider at pick #9 ......and if Powell v Bruhn, who do you choose

# Mutineer

Personally I'm not so big on Powell for the Crows. I want players who offer more than just "inside mid" especially since we're bringing in Hately to be that inside beast and I expect Matt Crouch to hang around for a while.

Powells good at what he does, but I think you need to be very careful of loading up on guys who can't do much except for inside mid.

9 is a really tough spot in the draft. Almost everyone will feel like a bit of a reach, because it's the top of that next tier.

I'd almost take Hollands with our first pick, and take the best remaining tall here - Cox, Reid etc.
Not a bad idea

What?

Who knows about Himmelburg. Thilthorpe is a straight line but who can absolutely clunk a grab. He's a genuine AFL size and much more skilled and mobile than he looks.

He's absolutely what any team would need.
Sorry that is pure SA bias. Tillthorpe took 13 contested marks in 9 games this year. There isn’t any statistic about Thillthorpe that anyone can put forward that would suggest he should be considered for pick 1. He was 10th in West’s goal kicking despite playing key forward. Himmelberg played amazing this year, and we just extended his contract. Ruck/forward is just not an area we need to invest this much into.

I'm not a fan of taking a player 10 or more spots lower than the general consensus of the talent order. I can live with taking a player 2 or 3 spots earlier but 10 to 13 out of order means that we aren't taking the best talent available and if we aren't doing that we may as well trade pick 9 for pick 20 and a future 2021/1st (if it's around pick 14). We must get full value for our picks.

I don't think its that simple, it works on the assumption that the general "accepted" order is anywhere near correct, its not. Dangerfield was seen as a reach for about 10 or so, no one had heard of Doedee, Phil Davis was relatively unknown due to injury, Gunston was largely unknown. McKernan was a "bargain". Milera went where he was meant to, as did Gallucci. Fogarty dropped, Jones and McHenry were taken there abouts.

O'Driscoll appears to be one who polarises a little. For mine, he's one I reckon we'll rate higher than most, I reckon he'll be right up there on our draft board. There's certainly been a few draft watches that rate him highly, whilst Twomey couldn't drop him off his draft board quick enough.

I'm not a fan of taking a player 10 or more spots lower than the general consensus of the talent order. I can live with taking a player 2 or 3 spots earlier but 10 to 13 out of order means that we aren't taking the best talent available and if we aren't doing that we may as well trade pick 9 for pick 20 and a future 2021/1st (if it's around pick 14).
That's sounds good, but of all years surely we have to take this year's rankings 10-30 with a pinch of salt. For example, Hamish & co may rate Zavier Maher significantly higher than 20-25, which is where a couple of draft watchers have him.

Personally I'm not so big on Powell for the Crows. I want players who offer more than just "inside mid" especially since we're bringing in Hately to be that inside beast and I expect Matt Crouch to hang around for a while.

Powells good at what he does, but I think you need to be very careful of loading up on guys who can't do much except for inside mid.
Which once again points to Hollands .....in the most important & influential zone on a football field

The pure KPF is no longer the key piece .....so use Pick #1 on the most influential component

Hollands or Thilthorpe .....Ruck / Fwd almost as valuable in todays game

Last years Draft, MELB demonstrated the importance .....going for Luke Jackson, even though they have Max Gawn

1606621628364.png

If he didn't do his knee I suspect we'd have already made our choice, it's complicated things somewhat. Also, even if he didn't we still wouldn't have been able to see the progression which is sad.

With Hinge, I think he's a genuine utility. Probably depth at this stage but he seems versatile enough to play everywhere
I have no problem with Hinge as a player, it’s just that he doesn’t play in an area we are weak in. I’m not sold on Hately myself, but at least that is undeniably an area we need to address. Speed, class and X factor through the midfield are the area we need to improve if we are any chance to build a premiership team, and Hollands, Perkins, O’Drscoll and Carroll appear to be the best in this draft for that.

I don't think its that simple, it works on the assumption that the general "accepted" order is anywhere near correct, its not. Dangerfield was seen as a reach for about 10 or so, no one had heard of Doedee, Phil Davis was relatively unknown due to injury, Gunston was largely unknown. McKernan was a "bargain". Milera went where he was meant to, as did Gallucci. Fogarty dropped, Jones and McHenry were taken there abouts.

O'Driscoll appears to be one who polarises a little. For mine, he's one I reckon we'll rate higher than most, I reckon he'll be right up there on our draft board. There's certainly been a few draft watches that rate him highly, whilst Twomey couldn't drop him off his draft board quick enough.
I hear what your saying but I'm going by the assumption that the industry consensus as a whole rates talent better on average than us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back