Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

In two years time there has to also be an influx with trading. All clubs skip yrs of draft to bring in trades to consolidate their list when mounting a challenge for finals. The trade scenario of StKilda over the last two years is a telling example.
Yeah, but we'll probably end up trading in honest. battler type players the likes of Lynch, Seedsman, Stengle, ...

Forget about the big fish - this is the kind of fish we'll bring in...

dfja-s1e01-gif.949290

Cant wait to see McDonald running around in the famous No 6 next year, might have to dust off the old woollen long sleeve sitting in the back of the cupboard 😂

6 out of the last 8 premiership teams have had at least 2 quality tall forwards.
The 2 teams that didn’t had strong defensive game plans, and you could put 2012 Sean’s in there as well.
To be fair, 8 years is delving back pretty far.

The game is very different now to 2012.

How many of the last 5 have not had a gun mid-forward?

Edit: actually 5 years is probably even too long ago. You really have to look at the last 2 or 3 years to judge where the game is at now.

I look at GWS for example. A freak team that will never be repeated with all its high draft picks. Had all the traditional positions covered with absolute guns. Pure mids, gun lead up forward. Still couldn't win a flag. Because their team was drafted with a traditional mindset.

Too easy to plan for and negate. You need dynamic, versatile players and one or two gun mid-forwards that can ruin oppo plans with their ability to carve the lines with their skills and evasion or go forward and create havoc.

Last edited:

My sources have gone to ground. Our plan is finalised as much as it can be and is in play.

If I was to guess a top ten:
Mcdonald
Hollands
DGB
Phillips (JUH)
Bruhn
Thilthorpe
Perkins
Cox (Jones)
NOD (Campbell)
Reid

I suspect we'll turn 22/23 into pedlar if there's other interest then grab borlase and newchurch.

Complete guesswork. If I hear anything ill revise...

I really was hoping to have a decent idea by now but I just don't know.

Theres equal chance we completely arse this up and go Thil and Pedlar first two picks.

6 out of the last 8 premiership teams have had at least 2 quality tall forwards.
The 2 teams that didn’t had strong defensive game plans, and you could put 2012 Sean’s in there as well.
How many were drafted by the club inside the top 10 picks by the winning club?

I'm going to say Roughead and Franklin yet Hawthorn won 2 without Franklin.

Edit: actually 5 years is probably even too long ago. You really have to look at the last 2 or 3 years to judge where the game is at now.

I look at GWS for example. A freak team that will never be repeated with all its high draft picks. Had all the traditional positions covered with absolute guns. Pure mids, gun lead up forward. Still couldn't win a flag. Because their team was drafted with a traditional mindset.

Too easy to plan for and negate. You need dynamic, versatile players and one or two gun mid-forwards that can ruin oppo plans with their ability to carve the lines with their skills and evasion or go forward and create havoc.

If you only go back 2 years West Coast won the flag with a very traditional setup, Big Key Forwards, good small forwards, full time Mids and elite intercepting defenders. They didn’t have this so called Mid/Forward Hybrid unicorn you bang on about. Martin is a once in a generation talent. Trying to find another like him is fools gold.

past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.

I think you’re getting a little paranoid with this ‘don’t take talls in the top 10‘ stuff.

If you only go back 2 years West Coast won the flag with a very traditional setup, Big Key Forwards, good small forwards, full time Mids and elite intercepting defenders. They didn’t have this so called Mid/Forward Hybrid unicorn you bang on about. Martin is a once in a generation talent. Trying to find another like him is fools gold.

I have been contemplating who we take pick 1. Solidified now . My partner knows a friendthat knows afriend that knows Hamish family. Theh said. While h3 did not say difinatively due to I suppose protecol, rea ding between lines crows taking McDonald. Take it to bank and get on board the McDonald train, it’s happening. I only had it confirmed tonite.

I have been contemplating who we take pick 1. Solidified now . My partner knows a friendthat knows afriend that knows Hamish family. Theh said. While h3 did not say difinatively due to I suppose protecol, rea ding between lines crows taking McDonald. Take it to bank and get on board the McDonald train, it’s happening. I only had it confirmed tonite.

and had a few drinks with them before getting home hense typing not the best to ne honest. But wat I heard i appear to be legit .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.

I think you’re getting a little paranoid with this ‘don’t take talls in the top 10‘ stuff.
I think you need to learn the meaning of paramoid before making s**t up.

Then learn to read and umderstand context.

Talls over 195cm rarely work out in the top 10 never mind 1st round
Be it going to clubs with crap midfields
Be it more prone to injury
Or if they are any good they will receive huge offers to return home

There are facts and logic behind it.
Franklin was a freak and is the only one in the last 20 years to win a flag interstate with the team he was drafted to and even then he went at 5.

Midfields usually take 4-5 years to develop and the best ones have at least 2 top 5 picks and minimum of 4 inside top 10

If most are comfortable with us using picks 9 22 23 on mids then go look at the picks we have used in the past 6 years on mids and you will see it hasn't worked to well.

Hinging a full rebuild on 1 top 5 mid next year is folly and history says so.

So contrary to what you say history is bloody accurate including as someone stated no no.1 has won a flag going to the wooden spooners.

Last edited:
And no pick 1 has been drafted to a team who has won a wooden spoon and won a premiership (and conversely every team who has managed to trade for pick 1 has gone on to win a premiership), without said team being the recipient of the AFL massacring Fitzroy and then horrifically underperforming with a top 4 list. By your logic of following history, we'd be better downgrading it to pick 3.

We need to be the one to break history, regardless what we do, because we sure as sh*t aren't getting merged with St.Kilda, North or the Western Bulldogs. Even then, they are just examples of pareidolia.
I don't think we would have won the spoon if it went for 22 rounds.
I do think pick 3 is doable with a good reward.
Sydney can get 3 top 20 players if they trade up.
And realistically trading 3 & 5 for 1 & 4 and ger 20% discount as well.

We may not have got.any academy or f/s but if we can get a top 5.pick next year after pick 9 this then that's something.

If we could squeeze something out of Collingwood with threat of bid.on McInnes all the better

I think you need to learn the meaning of paramoid before making s**t up.

Settle down, mate. Don’t take that seriously.

Again just because KPF’s taken high in the draft haven’t always worked doesn’t that will be the case again. Also using your logic st Kilda shouldn’t have drafted Reiwoldt at pick 1.

Lots of mids taken at pick 1 haven’t won a flag either, so maybe we should just trade pick 1 now.

Last edited:

You also need luck to win a flag and GWS have had none in terms of injuries. Finally made a GF but had a number of key players out and or playing injured.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did this exercise a while ago so not digging into it again but most of the best forwards of the last 10-20 years were either high picks, preselections or father son. Not many were low or random picks even if their draft number shows they were ( Hawkins went at 40 , Tex went at 75 but both were tied to their clubs as an example). Have to take a key forward when there

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hawthorn didn’t take Hodge first because they Thought needed to draft mids first. They did because mids were the highest rated talents. Notice how all of the top 3 from ‘01 were mids?

wrong. Polak was rated as high as any of them

Freo we’re going to take Polak at no.1, but calculated they could still get him at no.4

they needed bigs and ended up with;
Polak
Croad
McPharlin

the theory and the execution were first class.

but the best laid plans of mice & men...

North Melbourne will not trade pick two and will take the top selection to the National Draft.

The Herald Sun is reporting that the Roos wanted two top 10 picks or a top five pick and another early selection, with the Suns and Bombers showing fleeting interest.

However, Essendon was unwilling to trade two of its three picks inside the top 10, picks six, seven and eight.

It appears the Bombers will also take their incredibly strong hand to the draft.

The Suns hold pick five, but their next pick after that sits at 27.

So what they really needed was a Toby Greene type player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back