Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

OK, my attempt at a PlayStation trade. im assuming that rumors on Essendon being really keen on McDonald and NM wanting an extra top 10 pick are accurate.

Essendon picks 6,7 & 8
NM picks 2 & 12
Ade picks 1 & 9

becomes

Essendon picks 1 & 12 (possibly McDonald & O’Driscoll)
NM picks 7,8 & 9 (possibly Perkins, Bruhn & Cox/Reid)
Ade picks 2 & 6 (possibly Holland’s & Tillthorpe)

mock draft based on needs says we take RT surprise surprise
Finlay McRae at 9 ahead of brunn interesting prob because 189 cm midfielder.

based on mock draft poulter and Powell or carol wount make it to our start second round pick
Must be some good fertiliser Finlay's been putting in his footy boots these last few weeks

So it's actually a super seven, same as the much-hyped 2018 year.

JUH
McDonald
Hollands
Campbell
DGB
Phillips
Thilthorpe
This years draft (or last for that matter) doesn't even come close to the hype around the 2018 super draft. All these talks of generational talents in Luko, Rank, King Bros, Rozee, B Smith and Walsh.

I feel this years draft pool will be very good (like last years), just not exceptional.

Must be some good fertiliser Finlay's been putting in his footy boots these last few weeks

pick 1 is for best player in draft.
Hamish has a draft order he sticks with and does not deviate from, his mantra, that’s why we bid a lot on other players.

Based on that is RT on top of his list? I suggest not

Going to be LM or EH.

shifter basically said EH best player in draft, not worried about acl.

We have to take him, and if we do Cox may slide to us, and he may end up best tall

Hamish has a draft order he sticks with and does not deviate from, his mantra, that’s why we bid a lot on other players.

Going to be LM or EH.

We have to take him, and if we do Cox may slide to us, and he may end up best tall
And that's relevant to Finlay Macrae? How?

Let's say that Bruhn was available at 9 and we drafted him, and then Carroll was still available at pick 14.
Would you trade pick 22, 23 and the Melb 2nd round for 14 and Collingwood's 2021 1st?

I really haven't seen much of Carroll to make a call on him
Collingwoods first next year would be nice as I reckon they will be lucky to make the 8 next year

Say we pick McDonald at Pick 1 and Pick 9 rolls around and Thilthorpe is still there do we
A. Pick Thilthorpe
B. Trade it for a teens pick and a 1st next year
C. Pick a Midfielder
D. Pick a different tall
E. A Hamish speical

This years draft (or last for that matter) doesn't even come close to the hype around the 2018 super draft. All these talks of generational talents in Luko, Rank, King Bros, Rozee, B Smith and Walsh.

I feel this years draft pool will be very good (like last years), just not exceptional.

Correct. Probably for a number of factors:
  • the Vic kids haven't played
  • JUH is NGA
  • Campbell Academy
  • Hollands ACL
  • Thilthorpe sliding (OP)
How can anybody hype up this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be LM or EH.

I think it is likely that we have a couple of scenarios we are looking at:

1. If Thilthorpe slides to 9, or we can get up to 6 and is still there, we take Hollands 1. Problem is this is a risk as we have to pull the trigger on Hollands.
  2. Take McDonald 1, slide 9 down to 12/ 14 and tried to get into next years Collingwood pick, take O'Driscoll - safe option.

If option 1, we mess up the draft by picking JUH and Campbell, knocking out picks like 26,33,41 out of the draft (WB), Sydney have to trade out too.

Thilthorpe definitely looking like sliding, a flight risk, OP issues, talks about the crows like 'us', etc, didn't improve 2020 (still impressive), doesn't have a position, lots of talent in top 7-10, not a Victorian, etc.

mock draft based on needs says we take RT surprise surprise
Finlay McRae at 9 ahead of brunn interesting prob because 189 cm midfielder.

based on mock draft poulter and Powell or carol wount make it to our start second round pick

Yeah this seemed to be just a mock draft of where they think players will actually get picked up, not based on 'needs' at all.

Sydney definitely need a DGB type, and we realistically have a FWD/RUC already developing in Himmelberg. If we were looking at 'Needs' we'd take McDonald as an eventual Tex replacement, or Hollands as quality through the midfield that we desperately 'need'

I think it is likely that we have a couple of scenarios we are looking at:

1. If Thilthorpe slides to 9, or we can get up to 6 and is still there, we take Hollands 1. Problem is this is a risk as we have to pull the trigger on Hollands.
  2. Take McDonald 1, slide 9 down to 12/ 14 and tried to get into next years Collingwood pick, take O'Driscoll - safe option.

If option 1, we mess up the draft by picking JUH and Campbell, knocking out picks like 26,33,41 out of the draft (WB), Sydney have to trade out too.

Thilthorpe definitely looking like sliding, a flight risk, OP issues, talks about the crows like 'us', etc, didn't improve 2020 (still impressive), doesn't have a position, lots of talent in top 7-10, not a Victorian, etc.

I mentioned this in one of my previous posts. Who we take at our first pick will tell us a lot about how the rest of our Draft might go. If we take Hollands with our first i reckon we think we're in with a chance to get him if he slides.

He's probably not in some fantastic five ratings because of his size and perhaps they downgrade him slightly because he doesn't get as many possessions as some other midfielders.....but it's what he does with those possessions that makes him a very special player, short kicks are precise low flying darts and his long kicks are precise uber penetrating low flying missiles.
He’s also as tough and aggressive as they come with a real early burst of speed

OK, my attempt at a PlayStation trade. im assuming that rumors on Essendon being really keen on McDonald and NM wanting an extra top 10 pick are accurate.

Just needs a bit more balance:

Essendon picks 6,7 & 8
NM picks 2 & 12
Ade picks 1 & 9

becomes

Essendon picks 1, 12 (possibly McDonald & O’Driscoll)
NM picks 7, 8 & 9 (possibly Perkins, Bruhn & Cox/Reid)

Just needs a bit more balance:

Essendon picks 6,7 & 8
NM picks 2, 12 & 30
Ade picks 1 & 9

becomes

Essendon picks 1, 12 & 30 (possibly McDonald, O’Driscoll & ???)
NM picks 7, 8 & 9 (possibly Perkins, Bruhn & Cox/Reid)

Make it happen!

Say we pick McDonald at Pick 1 and Pick 9 rolls around and Thilthorpe is still there do we
A. Pick Thilthorpe
B. Trade it for a teens pick and a 1st next year
C. Pick a Midfielder
D. Pick a different tall
E. A Hamish speical
Pick Thilthorpe

could be put forward structure for 12 years and Thilthorpe good ruck back up as well

pick 9 - he’s a good pick there

He’s also as tough and aggressive as they come with a real early burst of speed
Endurance needs some work but, think he starts his AFL career half forward or half back....would be a real weapon off half back with his speed, take the game on dare.....and that bazooka left boot.

Twomey suggesting we might bid on Reef McInnes at pick 9.
Sounds like we are putting a little pressure on for a trade. I like it.
Just need him to say we might put a bid on Campbell after JUH too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back