Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Well obviously we knew about this rule change back when we gave Dmac a new contract. Makes sense now.
yeah nah maybe. I would have though Gallucci might have nabbed a spot on it for a year. We have been known to give extra year(s) to players coming off of LTIs

The other thing people may not have picked up is that our Cat A rookie list is now completely full:
Keays, Butts, Strachan, Mackay, Davis, Gibbs

We will not be selecting anyone in the RD, though we're still hoping to get Newchurch as a Cat B rookie.

It's also full circle time for Davis. Davis was a late, surprise, selection in the ND - because he was supposedly too good for us to leave him until the RD (when we might miss out). Now he's gone from the senior list, to the rookie list, where he probably should have been the whole time.

We’ll go into next season with six Category A rookies, with Ben Davis and David Mackay to be re-listed early next week.

“Bryce Gibbs will also be rookie listed for administrative purposes following his retirement this year.

Bean Disgusted Disappointed.gif

Interpreter to Isle 2 ..... Vader please explain

“After list lodgements are completed, the League will consider Bryce to be officially retired and placed on the inactive list.

“The Club will then be able to fill that vacant list spot if it chooses to do so via the AFL’s supplementary selection period.”

Adelaide has completed a draft selection swap with Brisbane with trade paperwork lodged on Wednesday afternoon.

The Crows will receive pick No.63 from the Lions in exchange for pick No.66 and a future fourth round selection tied to Melbourne.

Adelaide currently holds picks 1, 9, 22, 23, 40, 56, 63 and 80 in this year’s national draft.

The Crows also hold a future second round selection tied to Melbourne, and a future fourth round selection tied to Hawthorn.

Deaneus!
So we basically traded a 4th rounder next year for Hinge

yeah nah maybe. I would have though Gallucci might have nabbed a spot on it for a year. We have been known to give extra year(s) to players coming off of LTIs
Gallucci was never getting a contract extension.

Apparently the "straight to the rookie list" rule is one which the clubs had been requesting, so they weren't surprised when the AFL announced it yesterday. They obviously knew about it in advance, because the Hinge deal wouldn't have happened without it - and deals like that don't happen overnight.

The other thing people may not have picked up is that our Cat A rookie list is now completely full:
Keays, Butts, Strachan, Mackay, Davis, Gibbs

We will not be selecting anyone in the RD, though we're still hoping to get Newchurch as a Cat B rookie.

It's also full circle time for Davis. Davis was a late, surprise, selection in the ND - because he was supposedly too good for us to leave him until the RD (when we might miss out). Now he's gone from the senior list, to the rookie list, where he probably should have been the whole time.

Well I think we're looking to get both Newchurch and Borlase as Cat B rookies, no? (It's just that Borlase is likely going to get nominated at the Draft)

Sorry if I've missed something there...

Appears that way and with the draft edging closer they're likely getting more intel from Borlase and Newchurch's management as to what club's have shown interest and the picks they currently hold.
What are your thoughts on Hinge?
highlights I’ve seen he is obviously a good kick, however he looks very one paced and doesn’t have much lateral movement. Also doesnt play on or move the ball quickly, so it’s hard to see where he fits into our plans. Is a good size I suppose.

Ok..since you have it in for Thilthorpe in a very big way and don't rate the guy at all, how about if he slips to our pick 9, you PM me details of where I can send a bottle of Penfolds RWT

BUT if he is picked before 9, then you can send me one..deal

I'm growing more and more certain He won't go before pick 9.
Deal.

*Added to the rumor thread

What are your thoughts on Hinge?
highlights I’ve seen he is obviously a good elite left foot kick, however he looks very one paced and doesn’t have much lateral movement. Also doesnt play on or move the ball quickly, so it’s hard to see where he fits into our plans. Is a good size I suppose.
EFA.

Mr. Versatile, can play back/forward/mid, loves to stick a bone crunching tackle and very good overhead. Tested well at the Combine in his draft year especially in the jumps tests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone takes Hey shortys opinion on draftees too seriously.
Chill.
Hey Shorty is one of the better posters on the board.

At least hes not too dumb to see Lukosius' talent.

And forget Brent - most posters blocked Mick ages ago.

Well I think we're looking to get both Newchurch and Borlase as Cat B rookies, no? (It's just that Borlase is likely going to get nominated at the Draft)

Sorry if I've missed something there...
That's not how it works...

We've nominated both Borlase & Newchurch as NGA players. This happened yesterday.

National Draft
We have the right to match any bid on either/both player(s), with the standard discount being applied.
Moving both Davis & Mackay to the rookie list implies that we're now expecting a bid on Borlase, forcing us to take him in the ND.

Rookie Draft
If either/both player makes it through the ND without being selected, they are automatically added to our Cat B rookie list.

What now appears likely is that we're expecting a bid on Borlase in the ND. We will use pick 40 to select Borlase, either picking him ourselves our using it to match an earlier bid (between 24-39). We're not expecting a bid on Newchurch, so he will go on the Cat B rookie list.

We would have liked to get Borlase as a Cat B rookie, but it appears likely that another club will force our hand.

That's not how it works...

We've nominated both Borlase & Newchurch as NGA players. This happened yesterday.

National Draft
We have the right to match any bid on either/both player(s), with the standard discount being applied.
Moving both Davis & Mackay to the rookie list implies that we're now expecting a bid on Borlase, forcing us to take him in the ND.

Rookie Draft
If either/both player makes it through the ND without being selected, they are automatically added to our Cat B rookie list.

What now appears likely is that we're expecting a bid on Borlase in the ND. We will use pick 40 to select Borlase, either picking him ourselves our using it to match an earlier bid (between 24-39). We're not expecting a bid on Newchurch, so he will go on the Cat B rookie list.

I find this a bit confusing. Our 2020 Draft position has essentially improved. Wouldn't our Picks 56 & 63 be good enough to match a bid for Borlase?

If we traded out Pick 40, and only had Picks 56 & 63 left on Draft night (which will slide up the order once NGA/FS are bid/matched inside the top 20), then by my calculations we'd be able to match a bid on Borlase from Pick 31 onwards (taking into account the 197 point discount)...

Are you saying we may have intel that he will be bid on before Pick 30?

I find this a bit confusing. Our 2020 Draft position has essentially improved. Wouldn't our Picks 56 & 63 be good enough to match a bid for Borlase?

If we traded out Pick 40, and only had Picks 56 & 63 left on Draft night (which will slide up the order once NGA/FS are bid/matched inside the top 20), then by my calculations we'd be able to match a bid on Borlase from Pick 31 onwards (taking into account the 197 point discount)...

Are you saying we may have intel that he will be bid on before Pick 30?
We now need to fill exactly 5 list vacancies in the ND. We can't take more, as we already have 6 players on the rookie list. We can't take less, because we need to meet the AFL's mandatory minimum of 36 players on the senior list.

Things get decidedly sticky if we get to pick 40 without a Borlase bid emerging. At that point, they need to make a decision:
  • Are there any other players left on the table who they rate significantly higher than Borlase?
  • What are the odds of a Borlase bid happening after pick 40 (which we wouldn't be able to match, as our list would be full)?
  • Do we grab Borlase in the ND, or grab another player and hope that Borlase makes it through unscathed (and thence onto our Cat B rookie list)?

Last edited:
That assumes we fill the list completely (i.e. max out at 44 players). We may opt to leave 1-2 positions open, with an eye to the mid-season drafts.

A 36/4/2 or 36/5/2 mix is very possible. I would actually be disappointed to see us filling the entire 44 positions, given the opportunities presented by the mid-season drafts next year.
Ok help now Vader. McKay as Davis make 5 Cat A rookies. I’m assuming then Strachan will now be delisted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back