List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Delistings

It won't be lost on Goody that it's top 6 or bust from here, surely.
Top 6 really should be the minimum. There's a few 50/50s on the list (will Weideman and Jackson continue developing as they did, can Brown and Lever get back to their best, can we draft some speed), but at its best our list is way too good to be mediocre.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Top 6 really should be the minimum. There's a few 50/50s on the list (will Weideman and Jackson continue developing as they did, can Brown and Lever get back to their best, can we draft some speed), but at its best our list is way too good to be mediocre.

Agree, especially in what will probably be the weakest year since 2017.

HB17

Debutant
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
The question for me is whether we keep a slot open for the mid-season draft. There's so much talk of a lack of exposed form - is it worth waiting 6 months to see what some of the kids that aren't drafted can do in state leagues then pick up a bolter mid-year before others can grab them in the 2021 draft where we won't have a pick until the 30's (after winning the flag obvs).

With KK on the list still that’s one already that will be on the LTI list which gives us a spot for mid-season draft

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

cougar000

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
In a house
AFL Club
Melbourne
Are you able to quote the whole article?
this is the first bit from article.

Welcome to mock draft night.

The the 2020 AFL national draft is just over two weeks away and on Tuesday talent watchers Dan Batten and Jordan Pinto played the role of club recruiters in a top-30 mock draft.

These selections are an evaluation of the top talent available and the players best suited for each club – who Dan and Jordan would take with your club’s picks - rather than a prediction of who your side will take on draft night.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is the least I’ve followed the draft for a while. I found the podcasts weren’t as good with little u18s footy. I usually follow it throughout and know a fair bit more than I do now. Doesn’t help we didn’t have a first round pick until recently. I’ll have to do some study. We seem to be linked to a few quick players which is good. Hopefully we’re done drafting inside mids.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
this is the first bit from article.

Welcome to mock draft night.

The the 2020 AFL national draft is just over two weeks away and on Tuesday talent watchers Dan Batten and Jordan Pinto played the role of club recruiters in a top-30 mock draft.

These selections are an evaluation of the top talent available and the players best suited for each club – who Dan and Jordan would take with your club’s picks - rather than a prediction of who your side will take on draft night.

Thanks cougar000.

Havnt heard of Dan Batten or Jordan Pinto.

Nor Jake Bowery or Seamus Mitchell for that matter lol.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Interesting list management update here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/525384/new-rule-tweak-provides-relief-for-clubs-on-list-flexibility

I've come increasingly to think that the retention of 4 of the last 5 we've saved is as motivated by salary sizes as anything. We will head into next year with 2-3 draftees, Bedford, Chandler, Brown, Nietschke & Jordon all on extremely low salaries. That's great for spreading salary sizes out elsewhere.

As we've seen with Collingwood, teams are really struggling to match their ambition with prudent salary cap management. I have heard of at least 2 other teams who will be going on re-signing sprees in coming weeks as they simply have to spread out their players' wages beyond what they are currently committed to pay in 2021. The balance of power is with the players at the moment - and it's a reminder why we see guys like Harmes get a 5 year deal, in order to help keep the list together.

Article in the HS mock draft has us taking Jake Bowey and Saemus Mitchell with our first to picks. What are your thoughts on these?
Absolutely frothing at the idea we might draft a player called Seamus tbh. Don't care where he plays.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
The farmer needs to work out where to put all the animals. Can't keep putting chickens in the cow paddocks.

The farmer also needs to stop the heavy Petting of some of the animals, it not only lowers their production but is frowned upon / illegal in some states

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
And thats KK done.

Real shame for the guy, I saw a lot of him early at the Suns and he looked a gun in the making.

Seemed to be flying in that first pre season he had here before the head knocks.

Feel like we really rated him and with none of our other running players really coming on it left us desperate for some outside running players that we're focusing on in this draft.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seemed to be flying in that first pre season he had here before the head knocks.

Feel like we really rated him and with none of our other running players really coming on it left us desperate for some outside running players that we're focusing on in this draft.
Doesn't help coming into a s**t show season 2019.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
With KK retiring, we sit at:
  • 33 Senior List
  • 4 Rookies
  • 1 Category B Rookie
With the new rules, I believe we can upgrade Lockhart straight to the rookie list without using a late pick to upgrade? Leaves us at 34, and we can have up to 38 on the senior list, which leaves us to use picks 18, 19, 28 and 50.

Pick 89 won't be used (unless we do still need to use it on Lockhart).

And thats KK done.

Real shame for the guy, I saw a lot of him early at the Suns and he looked a gun in the making.

Weird thing is that I'm always surprised to find that he's still on the list, now I find myself sad that he's gone. All the best, KK.

Really think we should be after Lewis Jetta. We offered Issac Smith 3 years. Slightly younger Jetta brings a similar outside game and premiership experience, would also cost us nothing just like Smith would of.

Last edited:
Back