Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Interesting that there was a real focus on blokes that "love footy"

Probably been burned by too many talented but ultimately not 100% dedicated types - Hogan, Watts etc
Guess you gotta make the distinction between those guys and then your Swans and Martin's who probably love footy, but don't love being a footballer if that makes sense.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah this struck me as unusual, too, but I also have absolutely no idea about how football clubs operate.
I almost feel like it is intentional from the club keeping him out of some things (Which probably isn't a good thing).

It's probably pretty common actually, you wanna build a list for any coach, not just what that guy needs for next year.

Goody probably wouldn't have the time to pore over hours of draft footage to go with his work with the existing list. That's what the recruitment team is there for and to give him advice on who to get.
I'd be concerned about any coach having too much to say on draft night.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought it was a slightly underwhelming video, to be honest.

Goody looked like he had been on holiday for a month and had no idea what was happening. Interesting that Tim Lamb seemed to be the guy calling the shots predominantly, ahead of Taylor, when it came to Rosman over Carroll.

I would've liked it to include some IVs with recruiters in the weeks leading into the draft, and after the draft, and incorporating some vision from their first day at the track, for example.

Even would've liked to see something like a Top 10 draft board, seeing as we weren't in there but were looking at trading into it at some stage

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Goody looked like he had been on holiday for a month and had no idea what was happening. Interesting that Tim Lamb seemed to be the guy calling the shots predominantly, ahead of Taylor, when it came to Rosman over Carroll.

I would've liked it to include some IVs with recruiters in the weeks leading into the draft, and after the draft, and incorporating some vision from their first day at the track, for example.

Even would've liked to see something like a Top 10 draft board, seeing as we weren't in there but were looking at trading into it at some stage
Sheez mate, I think we are already giving out more than any other club lol

It did seem to be less interesting than last year's. Not a lot of debate on moving around etc.
The Carroll/Rosman chat was interesting though.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It did seem to be less interesting than last year's. Not a lot of debate on moving around etc.
The Carroll/Rosman chat was interesting though.
Guessing we didn't need to move, the players we targeted were gonna be available around our picks. Why trade up when we don't need to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JT seemed to want Rosman over Carroll which is enough for me. He was super keen on Lever, Butters and Georgiades from memory (who we didn’t get in the draft) but didn’t appear to have that same enthusiasm here

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

I liked that the seemed to be sitting social distancing approved away from each other, but then couldn’t hear each other properly so everyone kept repeating the same phrases endlessly with other people leaning in and going “what?” Then they pack it in, gather round one table and repeat dumb stuff again. I also like that Richo didn’t say anything

Pretty sure from that video (it didn’t show it too clearly) we would of taken Max Holmes but Geelong traded to get Richmond’s pick so we then set on Bowey and Laurie. Richmond I believe would of taken Laurie had they kept that pick. I don’t think MFC wanted to show that we just missed our guy by one. Could be wrong but I remember reading around draft time that Geelong pipped us at the post.

personally I prefer Laurie over Holmes at our pick then picking up a similar development player to Holmes in Rosman with our last pick.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I like that we got 2 kids who look locks to make it at AFL level, albeit maybe not in a superstar capacity, but more a role player type, then we picked a speculative 'could be anything' type of kid. 2 safe bets and 1 wild throw at the dartboard. I think with Covid last year hitting, chances of picking a kid under the radar are most likely higher than most years. Rosman looks like he can run all day and has the size already. Most likely will be a 5 possie gamer at VFL level for a bit and do the odd spectacular thing. We can only hope his footy IQ builds quickly. I'd love Choco to make him his personal goal. Take him under his wing.

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure from that video (it didn’t show it too clearly) we would of taken Max Holmes but Geelong traded to get Richmond’s pick so we then set on Bowey and Laurie. Richmond I believe would of taken Laurie had they kept that pick. I don’t think MFC wanted to show that we just missed our guy by one. Could be wrong but I remember reading around draft time that Geelong pipped us at the post.

personally I prefer Laurie over Holmes at our pick then picking up a similar development player to Holmes in Rosman with our last pick.
Jason Taylor has been on record since stating that Holmes wasn't in their first round calculations but more so in the 3rd pick that we used on Rosman if he was still there. He also went to say that sometimes it's best not to believe what the media hype up (regards to us being linked to Holmes) as it was never the case.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jason Taylor has been on record since stating that Holmes wasn't in their first round calculations but more so in the 3rd pick that we used on Rosman if he was still there. He also went to say that sometimes it's best not to believe what the media hype up (regards to us being linked to Holmes) as it was never the case.

I don't believe that

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

How the hell can you get that from that?
Twomey linked us to the 2 smalls pre draft
We took the 2 smalls

Holmes was sposed to be in the mix for the Rosman pick

If we wanted Holmes and thought Richmond would take Laurie we could have swapped 20 and 21 with them for a junk pick.
We get Holmes and they get Laurie and the cats are out of it

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
we could have been after a whole bunch of players before they were taken, so what does it really matter. unless you've got pick 1 that's what happens, and the further down the order you are the more it happens.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Even though the Cats have nailed the later parts of the draft for a long time, I'd be nervous being Max Holmes given their history in the first round

I reckon he'll be a bust

Remove this Banner Ad

Back