List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have a pick in his range. Giving up a Top 5 pick for a 28 year old is suicidial given our list build and he's worth more than our second.
I'm not asking to give a top 5, would split and give a late first rounder.

BUT we are just talking about what he adds and if he would be good for the team. I don't know what he's worth, but it's worth the question.

Also I don't know why everyone is desperate to go back to the draft, our team is already very young and inconsistent. Besides the crows, we've had the most scoreless quarters in the league, we go missing as a team constantly (only thing we can do consistently).

If we keep going to the draft it's only going to get more inconsistent and more difficult to find form.

We will be a Carlton/Melbourne if we rely on the draft too much.

Not only are we fielding too much youth, but we're relying on youth too much. All the contenders have their youngest players in minor roles. Butters and Rozee have a quiet game for Port and they're fine. Jack Ross has a quiet game for Richmond and they're not effected. Rowbottom, Blakey or McCartin have a quiet one for us and we struggle.

I'd like to be able to introduce Stephens, Campbell, McDonald/Phillips whoever we draft etc in supporting roles that make things easier for them rather than in the baptisms of fire that our recent youngsters have experienced. Having experienced players doing a good job in their roles makes such a difference in a youngster's development.

Brown is a leading fwd, not a strong contested mark. He is limited in his tricks and fwd entries would not suit him.

Norf will want the world for him and Brown would want a big pay day. Pass.
Don't know how much they would want, but you don't get 60+ goals a season from limited tricks.

What would you give up for him? Anything at all?

Not only are we fielding too much youth, but we're relying on youth too much. All the contenders have their youngest players in minor roles. Butters and Rozee have a quiet game for Port and they're fine. Jack Ross has a quiet game for Richmond and they're not effected. Rowbottom, Blakey or McCartin have a quiet one for us and we struggle.

I'd like to be able to introduce Stephens, Campbell, McDonald/Phillips whoever we draft etc in supporting roles that make things easier for them rather than in the baptisms of fire that our recent youngsters have experienced. Having experienced players doing a good job in their roles makes such a difference in a youngster's development.

Brown is smart and decent and will be picked up, but not by us.

But if we add pick 4, Campbell, and Gulden that will make us more consistent. No need to get any mature players to help them out.

Don't know how much they would want, but you don't get 60+ goals a season from limited tricks.

What would you give up for him? Anything at all?

Those days are gone. Would prolly fit the Dogs.

How much more do you want to invest in the draft. We are already way too young to perform consistently and you want us to get more young kids so we can be less consistent?
If he gives us three years we could get a premiership if he kicks 60 with us.

Tippett wasn't that bad, Brown just needs to not get injured and score 50-60 goals and he would be a success.

We need to balance immediate improvement with future improvements. You can't expect the team to be good in 2023 if we have spent the last 3 years score less than 8 goals a season.

Even with a more attacking style we have the second least goals and that is only going to get worse if we keep only adding young kids.
point 1.. We have a very rare opportunity to get a top 5 pick.. That is infinitely better than getting Brown.
If we are to trade that pick, Not Brown, please. You're correct If he kicks 60 we may win a premiership.. All the stars would need to align.. The first being he needs to kick 60, He Won't! If all the stars align, a top 5 pick may win us 3 premierships
Point 3.. I'd enjoy watching our more attacking game style finish with the ball in the hands of Buddy, Heeney, Papley and Daniher (who my gut is saying, is coming for free). Thats a pretty potent forward line, and a massive improvement on this year.
We don't want Brown! or at least I dont

I'm not asking to give a top 5, would split and give a late first rounder.

BUT we are just talking about what he adds and if he would be good for the team. I don't know what he's worth, but it's worth the question.
splitting p5 or trading p5 for Brown + a late 1st rounder... Is giving up p5!
ie.. we dont use pick 5 in the draft and our late 1st rounder gets used on Campbell (whom we can get with multiple 4th rounders)

At best I would offer a straight swap of Reid and Brown.

BrownReid
20208 goals, 9 games4 goals, 9 games
201964 goals, 22 games28 goals, 22 games
201861 goals, 22 games2 goals, 1 game
201763 goals, 22 games30 goals, 22 games
201641 goals, 22 games0 goals, 0 games
201532 goals, 22 games16 goals, 22 games

Brown is also one year younger than Reid.

A straight swap is far from a fair trade for North. Brown would be a significant improvement.

BrownReid
20208 goals, 9 games4 goals, 9 games
201964 goals, 22 games28 goals, 22 games
201861 goals, 22 games2 goals, 1 game
201763 goals, 22 games30 goals, 22 games
201641 goals, 22 games0 goals, 0 games
201532 goals, 22 games16 goals, 22 games

Brown is also one year younger than Reid.

A straight swap is far from a fair trade for North. Brown would be a significant improvement.

Different players with diff strenghts and weaknesses. But otherwise Shhhhhush.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

point 1.. We have a very rare opportunity to get a top 5 pick.. That is infinitely better than getting Brown.
If we are to trade that pick, Not Brown, please. You're correct If he kicks 60 we may win a premiership.. All the stars would need to align.. The first being he needs to kick 60, He Won't! If all the stars align, a top 5 pick may win us 3 premierships
Point 3.. I'd enjoy watching our more attacking game style finish with the ball in the hands of Buddy, Heeney, Papley and Daniher (who my gut is saying, is coming for free). Thats a pretty potent forward line, and a massive improvement on this year.
We don't want Brown! or at least I dont
Why wont he score 60+????

Yes because multiple top 5 picks have made Carlton and Melbourne AMAZING.

Just because we have some injuries to come back in doesn't mean that Brown is any worse. I would argue that Brown would probably score more than Buddy and Daniher next year no matter where they all end up.
Would probably bet that Brown kicks more than any forward we have next year.

Unfortunately I do read a lot of other boards just to see what is out there and I am sure i read that Brown was on their list for 7 or 8 years and he has had 5 or 6 years where he had issues with his hips and legs.

If he doesn't get a straight ran at the ball and marks it then he is a passenger and offers nothing much else. At 28 he is not Franklin, Hawkins, either Riewoldt, JJK, Roughead.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I do read a lot of other boards just to see what is out there and I am sure i read that Brown was on their list for 7 or 8 years and he has had 5 or 6 years where he had issues with his hips and legs.

If he doesn't get a straight ran at the ball and marks it then he is a passenger and offers nothing much else. At 28 he is not Franklin, Hawkins, either Riewoldt, JJK, Roughead.

Three straight seasons of 60+. Very passenger-like.

You mean Hugh Greenwood, who went from the wooden spooners to the club presently in 14th place?

Not sure you’ve convinced me.
If you don't think Greenwood was an amazing get, highest in tackles, 3rd in contested possessions, elite in clearences and centre clearences, elite in pressure acts, then I don't know what will convince you.
Would immediately make our midfield better.

How many times to we hit a leading forward?
At Norf he got it 5 or 6 every week (avg) but how many times was he the target.

I guess, nearly every time and their only avenue to goal and how does that work out for them?

How many times can we use him as a target. Its just my view.

Kicked 8 goals from 9 games this year. Wasn't tracking towards another 60 goals for a fourth season. But at his age the fact he has missed such a large period due to injuries has to be a concern in what his output will be at another club.

In anycase, Brown is the type of player age wise you trade for when you're topping off your list in a push at a Premiership, not a push for towards Finals. If he was two or three years younger than its an easier discussion to have.

We should be looking at only trading our first pick (or splitting it) for the right player in the 22 to 26 age bracket so that they and Brown is far from being that player.

In anycase I would expect him to go to either Collingwood or Essendon, two clubs that most likely will be looking for a full forward and will be deluded into thinking trading for him means they aren't too far away from a flag.

Why wont he score 60+????

Yes because multiple top 5 picks have made Carlton and Melbourne AMAZING.

Just because we have some injuries to come back in doesn't mean that Brown is any worse. I would argue that Brown would probably score more than Buddy and Daniher next year no matter where they all end up.
Would probably bet that Brown kicks more than any forward we have next year.
What a stupid thing to say.. there's no comparing the Swans to Carlton and Melbourne!
8 goals from 9 games??? wow, yep lets get him, lets use up our highest pick in 20 years on him. Argue all you want about who will kick more out of those three. The fact is Buddy is here (awesome) and Daniher could come for free.. and.. both Buddy and Daniher are more or just as likely to kick more than Brown.
The last fact.. is we could do soooo much better than Brown with our first pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back