List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How he has made it to four years on an AFL list is beyond me.
Look I think similar re Amartey. But at the end of the day smarter judges than us see something. I certainly see it in Bell. I don’t (yet) in Amartey. But if Bell takes as big a step next year as he did this year he’ll be going places.

Look I think similar re Amartey. But at the end of the day smarter judges than us see something. I certainly see it in Bell. I don’t (yet) in Amartey. But if Bell takes as big a step next year as he did this year he’ll be going places.
I wouldn't write off Amartey. I don't rate him so much as a ruck or forward but I've seen him play some nice games in defense for our Neafl team. He certainly has the tools to be a good defender. Maybe our heirarchy is hoping for a Reg Grundy like transformation - very average forward to elite defender.

I wouldn't write off Amartey. I don't rate him so much as a ruck or forward but I've seen him play some nice games in defense for our Neafl team. He certainly has the tools to be a good defender. Maybe our heirarchy is hoping for a Reg Grundy like transformation - very average forward to elite defender.

Oh I’m not writing him off. Like every Blood I’m watching and barracking. I was making the point that there are people paid a heap of money for knowing a shitload more than me.

Hence the writing off of Bell is premature.

Those rucks didn't look like much in the "highlight" vid I saw. A couple of years of park footy to toughen them, broaden their skills would be the way to go IMO.

I hope after Gulden is picked (or not) we can trade picks somehow and pick up that ruck prospect Neale mentioned earlier with a pick in the low 30s.
Don't mess around, spend the pick, even if overs to get one of the better young prospects - and give him a year under the tutelage of Hickey and Sinkers plus a good bit of time in the VFL or whatever its called. He just might be cherry ripe when we need - and a clear path to number 1 ruck status.
I like your thought. Maybe next year's second for this year's. Late 20s or early thirties. We have 34 (probs ends up about there) but need points for Gulden.

1. JUH Bulldogs
2. Thilthorpe Crows
3. McDonald North
4. DGB Swans
5. Hollands Hawks
6. Phillips Suns
7. Campbell Swans
1. Doubt Crows will bid on JUH to tell their eventual pick he wasn't first choice. More likely straight bid on local boy Thilthorpe.
2. North most likely to take McDonald after the departure of Brown.
3. Swans bid on JUH. Dogs match.
4. Swans take DGB.
5. Hawks take Hollands.
6. Suns take Phillips to join up with Rowell et al.
7. Bombers bid on Campbell. Swans match.
8 & 9 Bombers WGAAF.
So we agree on everything except Pick 1. One uncertainty for mine is if the Hawks take Phillips who apparently wants to be in Vic. Not sure that Suns will take Hollands. Possibly Bruhn.
Another is that North bid for JUH, then take McDonald, but why bother.

I don't agree with holding draft picks next year, expecting a super draft. If we have the opportunity to get 3 top 10 players in this draft I think we should take it and run.

Getting a hit like that will give us so much future, and could set us up for a long time if we show improvement next year.

I don't agree with holding draft picks next year, expecting a super draft. If we have the opportunity to get 3 top 10 players in this draft I think we should take it and run.

Getting a hit like that will give us so much future, and could set us up for a long time if we show improvement next year.
3 top 10 players?

Don’t you mean 2 top 10’s + a mid 2nd rounder in Gulden?

Lets not forget - if Gulden wasn’t in the academy, he might not even be on the Swans radar.

Is our midfield really that bad?

Parker Rowbottom
Stephens Campbell
Hickey Blakey
Clarke Florent
Hewett Naismith
Warner

I think we will go for McDonald if he slides and then DGB is next in line.

Definitely some talent in those names for sure - I think Rowbottom is great, and I really rate Stephens, Blakey, Hewett and, when he pulls his finger out, Florent. And also think Campbell has all the attributes to be elite.

But the whole needs to be greater than the sum of it's parts, and I don't think they will add up to a damaging midfield group.

I just don't think it's as simple as 'can play midfield = will play midfield'.

Definitely some talent in those names for sure - I think Rowbottom is great, and I really rate Stephens, Blakey, Hewett and, when he pulls his finger out, Florent. And also think Campbell has all the attributes to be elite.

But the whole needs to be greater than the sum of it's parts, and I don't think they will add up to a damaging midfield group.
Why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets not forget - if Gulden wasn’t in the academy, he might not even be on the Swans radar.

Let’s not forget 15 months ago the general consensus was that Gulden looked likely to be a first-rounder and Campbell might also get drafted.
Since then they both struggle for opportunity as underagers at the nationals, Campbell stars in a futures game and Gulden wins his B&F against the men in the Sydney comp.
Braeden may well be deserving of his rise in the rankings but i don’t get how Errol has slid so far when a lot of the kids have done diddly squat for 12 months.

Let’s not forget 15 months ago the general consensus was that Gulden looked likely to be a first-rounder and Campbell might also get drafted.
Since then they both struggle for opportunity as underagers at the nationals, Campbell stars in a futures game and Gulden wins his B&F against the men in the Sydney comp.
Braeden may well be deserving of his rise in the rankings but i don’t get how Errol has slid so far when a lot of the kids have done diddly squat for 12 months.
I agree. Gulden has been killing it in underage footy for years. Sure, he's a bit short and doesn't blitz the testing (except 2km time trial) but if you have watched him play, you soon realise he just has so much heart and wants to impact on the game. He also has high footy IQ. These traits are way more important than raw stats (otherwise that kid of Sudanese background from GWS would be a top 5 pick) and have allowed Errol to beat his bigger opponents time and time again.

I'm backing him to be a bargain pickup for us at late R1 / R2.

I agree. Gulden has been killing it in underage footy for years. Sure, he's a bit short and doesn't blitz the testing (except 2km time trial) but if you have watched him play, you soon realise he just has so much heart and wants to impact on the game. He also has high footy IQ. These traits are way more important than raw stats (otherwise that kid of Sudanese background from GWS would be a top 5 pick) and have allowed Errol to beat his bigger opponents time and time again.

I'm backing him to be a bargain pickup for us at late R1 / R2.
Not just underage football. He came second in the league B&F in the Sydney AFL seniors and was best on field in the Grand Final, playing against men. Not the highest standard league, of course, but still a good sign.

1. Doubt Crows will bid on JUH to tell their eventual pick he wasn't first choice. More likely straight bid on local boy Thilthorpe.
2. North most likely to take McDonald after the departure of Brown.
3. Swans bid on JUH. Dogs match.
4. Swans take DGB.
5. Hawks take Hollands.
6. Suns take Phillips to join up with Rowell et al.
7. Bombers bid on Campbell. Swans match.
8 & 9 Bombers WGAAF.
So we agree on everything except Pick 1. One uncertainty for mine is if the Hawks take Phillips who apparently wants to be in Vic. Not sure that Suns will take Hollands. Possibly Bruhn.
Another is that North bid for JUH, then take McDonald, but why bother.
I think Essendon won't bid on Campbell until 9, for the same reason as you had for JUH at pick 1. It doesn't make any difference to their draft whether they bid at 7 or 9. But if they leave it until 9, they have two "higher ranked" players on their list to tell the fans. So they have picks 7 and 8 instead of 8 and 9, which sounds marginally better for the marketing guys. It also lets those two players know they were Essendon's first choices at that pick, not that they rated Campbell higher.

Small things, but the only reason to bid on Campbell at 7 instead of 9 is if Essendon want to be ***holes to us. I won't put it past them, but I can't see any logic in it.

I think Essendon won't bid on Campbell until 9, for the same reason as you had for JUH at pick 1. It doesn't make any difference to their draft whether they bid at 7 or 9. But if they leave it until 9, they have two "higher ranked" players on their list to tell the fans. So they have picks 7 and 8 instead of 8 and 9, which sounds marginally better for the marketing guys. It also lets those two players know they were Essendon's first choices at that pick, not that they rated Campbell higher.

Small things, but the only reason to bid on Campbell at 7 instead of 9 is if Essendon want to be ***holes to us. I won't put it past them, but I can't see any logic in it.

That’s an interesting perspective that I hadn’t considered.

I think it’s also possible for them to bid on him first if they rate him and want to know who they are able to get. As in, they may take different players with their other two picks if they aren’t able to get Campbell vs if they are. Obviously it’s very unlikely Swans don’t match him at Essendons picks but if you’re going to bid on a player you rate you may as well do so in a way that assumes you’re a chance to get him.

I’m not saying my possible outcome is more accurate than yours, just another perspective they may be coming from to consider.

Very likely right. If so, all the better for us!

1. JUH Bulldogs
2. Thilthorpe Crows
3. McDonald North
4. DGB Swans
5. Hollands Hawks
6. Phillips Suns
7. Campbell Swans

Think you are right, although if it's between Hollands and DGB I'd be calling Hollands name out very quickly, not that I'm against DGB at all.

Was thinking about this over the weekend and whilst I wouldn't be against it, I'm not sure I'd bother trading into the first round this year.

DGB over Hollands every day of the week. Talent wise they are similar but DGB has no serious injury history.

We will never agree on this, but you know how much I want Hollands or McDonald. I'm happy to take the risk as the reward is there. I know it wasn't an ACL but everyone said the same about Selwood when he was drafted...6 clubs meanwhile passed on the best player in the draft!

As I said not against DGB but if Hollands is there, he'd be my pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back