List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trading Blakey is one of the dumbest suggestions I've read on here in a while.

Top 10 pick, local boy, was great in his first year. Seriously people have no patience for players

Especially since he is a second year key forward. Most second year key forwards are rather crap, it comes with the territory. Most don't start really showing anything until they are 22 or 23 years old.

I watched the game last night with an eye on Sier because of the mentions he had been getting in here. At first I was underwhelmed, but as the game went on I began to see more and more similarities to a young JPK and I finished up being intrigued by his potential. I wouldn't be upset if we picked him up.

I watched the game last night with an eye on Sier because of the mentions he had been getting in here. At first I was underwhelmed, but as the game went on I began to see more and more similarities to a young JPK and I finished up being intrigued by his potential. I wouldn't be upset if we picked him up.
Another fringe player. List clogger potential abounds.

Sier was ordinary in an ordinary side that beat an even more ordinary (albeit developing) side.

You mean apart from the fact he's a panic merchant with very little awareness? I'm sorry I don't rate him. He's just a tall Ryan Clarke...and you know how much I rate Clarke!

There's better options, Constable if he's the same price is miles better.

Do not get your interest in Constable - just a player from what I have seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No point putting Florent up

lucky to get a early 2nd rounder

if jones got us 32 and jones is a far better player imo
Though I agree - are their contract situations different?
North might give us something good. They need to improve and faster than another draft pick.
But this draft is stacked with acadamy and F/S prospects. Pick 22 would end up being pick 32 anyway. Prob best to keep him another year and see if he can improve - but if that puts him out of contract we are back to taking pick 32 anyways....:think:

God I hope not. Hopper is at best work a pick between 10 and 20.
Was just looking at his stats - I guess you're right. Just wondering if we try and grab an established mid and give it one last optimistic try with Bud for a flag.
A lot will depend on whether Hewett can return and play with his back. Maybe a pick swap gets it done and we get in an established mid and a KPD with their pick.
Someone will take the option. North? - they'll be doing something like that to keep the wheel spinning with high picks playing on rookie salaries and established guns.
Their in the zone really - thanks to the AFL.

The midfield is shite but I think it's going to be for a while. Parker, JPK etc won't be part of our next flag side. There's no point even trying to add an established player in with them. It's like trying to squeeze life out of a dead beast.

Almost think it's worth taking Hollands or Phillips, letting them develop with the other young mids and then putting our faith in that group rather than the one we've had over the last few years.

Trade for a tall if possible.

The midfield is sh*te but I think it's going to be for a while. Parker, JPK etc won't be part of our next flag side. There's no point even trying to add an established player in with them. It's like trying to squeeze life out of a dead beast.

Almost think it's worth taking Hollands or Phillips, letting them develop with the other young mids and then putting our faith in that group rather than the one we've had over the last few years.

Trade for a tall if possible.
I'm starting to feel this. Though I still think we need an older body to help the mids develop.

Tough decisions for the club to make this year

IMO, with our list there are two mistakes that we could make.

1. Try to get a run up the ladder too quickly. Trying to get one more crack with Buddy and Kennedy. The chance is gone, we have to live with that. Focus on creating a strong team and don't fall into hawthorns trap of trying to get back up too quick. Leaves you with an old half developed list.

2. Ignore trading, don't grab any more experienced blokes. Many case studies of this, Carlton, Melbourne, and even Brisbane. They have come good kinda, but each club spent a LONG time down the bottom becuase the culture slowly fell away. Drafting 3-4 more young blokes is NOT going to make us win more games, if anything we will be worse than this year. We need to trade in some player that will make us better, which we have failed so far.

The swans will know all this, and have tried to balance the list out, the only issue being that all the players we have brought in have more or less been rabble (I like a lot of them, but none have been consistent best 22).
Because of this we are falling in to a team that has way too much youth, and either we wait 4 years and hope that they players still develop while losing (risky) and don't leave (see Jones and Mitchell).

For what it's worth, I trust the swans, I don't know if they'll do the right thing, but I feel that it'll be better than what a lot of other teams have done.

I'm starting to feel this. Though I still think we need an older body to help the mids develop.

Tough decisions for the club to make this year

We have two older bodies in there most weeks and get thrashed. If the older body we brought in was replacing JPK or Parker then fine. But we know that's not who they'd be replacing...

The issue is that we are stuck in a limbo between a past midfield that doesn't work, and a future midfield that isn't ready.

Neither will help us win games. So our best bet is to try and focus on improving in other areas we can, like getting a key defender or ruck or forward. Then draft the young mid for the future.

We have two older bodies in there most weeks and get thrashed. If the older body we brought in was replacing JPK or Parker then fine. But we know that's not who they'd be replacing...

The issue is that we are stuck in a limbo between a past midfield that doesn't work, and a future midfield that isn't ready.

Neither will help us win games. So our best bet is to try and focus on improving in other areas we can, like getting a key defender or ruck or forward. Then draft the young mid for the future.
For the sake of the argument, Parker was being put forward in the Richmond game before JPK got injured, so maybe we get a few more mids in that can take over parkers role and he moves to be a mid forward. Keeps his hack kicks out of defence and is an upgrade in leadership to Reid.

JPK himself has max 1 more year (I'm hoping this yr isn't his last).

In 2022 we are to roll out with Parker 29, Hewett 26, Florent 23 as our oldest mids. We need at least 2 more players in the 24-28 range in the mids to not get brutalised, unless we want to just wait until all our youth hit that age in the 5 years without wanting to leave.

IMO, with our list there are two mistakes that we could make.

1. Try to get a run up the ladder too quickly. Trying to get one more crack with Buddy and Kennedy. The chance is gone, we have to live with that. Focus on creating a strong team and don't fall into hawthorns trap of trying to get back up too quick. Leaves you with an old half developed list.

2. Ignore trading, don't grab any more experienced blokes. Many case studies of this, Carlton, Melbourne, and even Brisbane. They have come good kinda, but each club spent a LONG time down the bottom becuase the culture slowly fell away. Drafting 3-4 more young blokes is NOT going to make us win more games, if anything we will be worse than this year. We need to trade in some player that will make us better, which we have failed so far.

The swans will know all this, and have tried to balance the list out, the only issue being that all the players we have brought in have more or less been rabble (I like a lot of them, but none have been consistent best 22).
Because of this we are falling in to a team that has way too much youth, and either we wait 4 years and hope that they players still develop while losing (risky) and don't leave (see Jones and Mitchell).

For what it's worth, I trust the swans, I don't know if they'll do the right thing, but I feel that it'll be better than what a lot of other teams have done.

I trust the club too but I think our era of being among the best at doing things on and off the field is well and truly over. No shame in it times change and we were up the top for a long long time but we've got as much wrong as we've got right in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back