List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please define 'tiny'.

Prestia = 175cm inside mid at Tigers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tigers have Dusty, Caddy, etc as fairly well built mids though. Reality is there’s a mix anyway.

I can’t remember a tiny midfield of a Premiership winning team. Sounds unlikely to me

The average height of every premiers core six midfielders since ours is 183.6cm. Richmond won two flags with a midfield height average of 181.3cm, Hawthorn won three flags with a midfield height average of 183.6cm, West Coast's was 184.5cm, and the Western Bulldogs' was 185.3cm.

Only two players out of all seven of those premiership sides were over 190cm (both Bulldogs - Macrae at 191, and Bontempelli at 193.)

The numbers are not really different when you look at this years best sides. Port Adelaide has a midfield height average of 184.5cm, and no one above 187cm. St Kilda has a midfield height average of 183.1cm, and no one above 188cm. GWS has a midfield height average of 185.1cm, and no one above 187cm. Brisbane has a midfield height average of 183cm, only one over 190cm, and their two best are under 180cm. West Coast are running with the same group as 2018, bumped up from 184.5 to 185cm with the inclusion of Kelly. They still have no one over 190cm.

This idea that you need to have a big midfielder or two to succeed is a myth, as though it's been willed into existence as a fact by some Fyfe or Cripps fanboy. Do we need strong midfielders who can win hard balls, stick tackles, and dispose of it whilst being tackled? Absolutely. But there's no evidence at all that being smaller limits you in this regard.

The average height of every premiers core six midfielders since ours is 183.6cm. Richmond won two flags with a midfield height average of 181.3cm, Hawthorn won three flags with a midfield height average of 183.6cm, West Coast's was 184.5cm, and the Western Bulldogs' was 185.3cm.

Only two players out of all seven of those premiership sides were over 190cm (both Bulldogs - Macrae at 191, and Bontempelli at 193.)

The numbers are not really different when you look at this years best sides. Port Adelaide has a midfield height average of 184.5cm, and no one above 187cm. St Kilda has a midfield height average of 183.1cm, and no one above 188cm. GWS has a midfield height average of 185.1cm, and no one above 187cm. Brisbane has a midfield height average of 183cm, only one over 190cm, and their two best are under 180cm. West Coast are running with the same group as 2018, bumped up from 184.5 to 185cm with the inclusion of Kelly. They still have no one over 190cm.

This idea that you need to have a big midfielder or two to succeed is a myth, as though it's been willed into existence as a fact by some Fyfe or Cripps fanboy. Do we need strong midfielders who can win hard balls, stick tackles, and dispose of it whilst being tackled? Absolutely. But there's no evidence at all that being smaller limits you in this regard.

I think the issue is with the word 'big', Blakey is tall, but not 'big', Franklin is tall and 'big' , JPK is 'big'.

Unless you actually mean 'tall'? which would make more sense.

I think the issue is with the word 'big', Blakey is tall, but not 'big', Franklin is tall and 'big' , JPK is 'big'.

I am talking actual height. Centimetres. Because that has been the constant measuring stick by which this board judges a midfielder's worth. It came up before last year's draft where Serong was concerned, it's come up about this year's draft as we prepare to take Campbell and Gulden. It comes up every single time the future of the midfield is discussed and how we need a JPK replacement ASAP. It comes up when trade period comes as midfielders are floated as options.

Just constant and I've never understood it because height in the midfield literally does not matter when compared to qualities like skill, composure, strength and speed.

Strong would be a better descriptor with common sense on height tossed in.

In any sport, and life, given equal ability stronger is definitely and incontestably better.

I am talking actual height. Centimetres. Because that has been the constant measuring stick by which this board judges a midfielder's worth. It came up before last year's draft where Serong was concerned, it's come up about this year's draft as we prepare to take Campbell and Gulden. It comes up every single time the future of the midfield is discussed and how we need a JPK replacement ASAP. It comes up when trade period comes as midfielders are floated as options.

Just constant and I've never understood it because height in the midfield literally does not matter when compared to qualities like skill, composure, strength and speed.

I agree it's dumb

a tall midfield will just mean they will be s**t below the knees and won't win any of the ground ball.

Many on this board value tertiary ability instead of primary ability anyway.

I agree height is not as important as Having some big bodied Players in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we got a real defence issue.

We got a lot of developing mids, wingers, forwards, and flankers, but where are our backs?

Only one is Ling right now, Lloyd is better up the ground, Rampe can't carry it forever, Brand is out for another 4 weeks, COR can't hold up our back line, Melican is struggling, Fox is improving (but no world beater), Aliir is in a form slump, Dawson is needed for his attacking, and Cunningham has been solid.
Gould is proving a bit of a let down, although I'll back him to get his fitness to par next year.
We talk a lot about our mids, but I think Grundy, Smith, and McVeigh have hurt us more than we realise.
We need to trade in some backs, or see massive improvements in Melican, Gould, Ling and to see Brand play for me to be comfortable with our backs.

Its been a long time since our back 6 were the biggest worry, but I don't see the same potential for growth that we can see in our midfield/forward line.

I think we got a real defence issue.

We got a lot of developing mids, wingers, forwards, and flankers, but where are our backs?

Only one is Ling right now, Lloyd is better up the ground, Rampe can't carry it forever, Brand is out for another 4 weeks, COR can't hold up our back line, Melican is struggling, Fox is improving (but no world beater), Aliir is in a form slump, Dawson is needed for his attacking, and Cunningham has been solid.
Gould is proving a bit of a let down, although I'll back him to get his fitness to par next year.
We talk a lot about our mids, but I think Grundy, Smith, and McVeigh have hurt us more than we realise.
We need to trade in some backs, or see massive improvements in Melican, Gould, Ling and to see Brand play for me to be comfortable with our backs.

Its been a long time since our back 6 were the biggest worry, but I don't see the same potential for growth that we can see in our midfield/forward line.

It is why I wouldn’t be shocked for needs reasons if we go Garringer-Barrass for our first pick. Might be a fraction of a reach and I’d rather go for a mid but he’s a high quality talent

If we are going to go for a defender with pick 2 why not trade? Unless they see something in GB that's we don't...

Not fussed about who we aim at with first pick, just need to go for the best player available.

If it means we draft one too many mids so be it, it's a good problem to have (and also allows us to keep Mills and Heeney on defence/ forward line duties).

We could not lose with Hollands or Phillips. Not impressed by the talls but that's just my view.

Especially DGB the defender who can't defend.
100% agree.
If we want a defender, trade.
If we want to go to the draft, get the best available.
IMO, I want Hollands, but Phillips would be a great addition as well.

Of course we could lose. No draftee is a certainty to have a successful AFL career and one of those players has already had a knee reconstruction.

Correct, every draftee is an unknown, so you take the one closest to a certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back