Status
Not open for further replies.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I think from reading this thread we are just used to fighting for scraps.
remember when we got good players here.....

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think from reading this thread we are just used to fighting for scraps.
remember when we got good players here.....

The thing is those players were scraps too, at least to the clubs who we got them from. Bolton was surplus to Brisbane's needs, Kennedy could not break into Hawthorn's midfield, Mattner was seen as an on the cusp of being dropped player in Adelaide, Shaw's career looked like it was coming to an end etc. It is about identification. The very players with a lot of potential who are being underused at their current clubs are out there, we just need to get better at finding them.

Hunter goes short very often which helps boost his DE%.

DE% is a useless stat without further interrogation.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I'd love to see an analysis of metres gained and disposal efficiency to see which players have the best combination of the two - whereby shorter chip kicks which are effective are valued less than long kicks which are effective, kicks which go forward are more valued than those which go back.

I have a feeling that kind of analysis would see Dustin Martin and Bud (if he were fit) come out right near the top but it would definitely throw up some surprises.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'd love to see an analysis of metres gained and disposal efficiency to see which players have the best combination of the two - whereby shorter chip kicks which are effective are valued less than long kicks which are effective, kicks which go forward are more valued than those which go back.

I have a feeling that kind of analysis would see Dustin Martin and Bud (if he were fit) come out right near the top but it would definitely throw up some surprises.

To be honest that would be the best stat. Metres gained, but only counting the metres gained of effective disposals.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not really if a players has a DE% below 50 it would be used to reinforce their inability to hit a barn yard.

If you kick it to a contest it counts as an efficient disposal. It really is useless.

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
who are we willing to trade out thats got some value

We'll, those over 25 I think are too valuable too us, like Rampe and Parker, or we wouldnt get anything, like Naismith, Cunningham.

I wouldnt like it but Lloyd maybe the only piece.

Under 25, we saw what happened with Jones who was a first round pick and best 22. we would've got more in free agency rules, especially since we are bottom 4.

Josh Jenkins, 2020 third round pick (Gold Coast) ---- Cats

Pick 37--- Adelaide

Zac Jones, pick 56, 2020 4th round pick (swans) --- Saints

pick 32 --- swans
and 2020 3rd round from freo
and pick 76.. which we didnt even use.. and the draft only went to 66 anyway.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't know if we are in the position to start trading players away without them wanting to go.
We have to hold on to any talent and youth that want to stay, we'll have more players wanting to leave.
Trade picks for players when we are near the bottom, when we start rising then we can start trading players.

Any young player (under 24) will be traded away at unders for us (taking years of development and have not yet hit peak value), and we need experience more than ever.

Let players ask for a trade, let's not get carried away trading young kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back