List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we do spend a lot of time here (me included) wondering which former swan a player is like or which season the current season compares too

In fairness it's easy to do. A lot of our mids have been scrappy warrior types and so as soon as a kid looks tough it's like boom! Jude 2.0!!

At 1.78cm he's too small. We need a big inside midfielder. Not another small bloke. How's he going to win clearances if he's not as tall as Cripps?

is Cripps tall?

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
These are Constable's stats for the 2019 season

and realistically he only had 1 bad game in that group of 9 games, that being the game he was dropped and has not played in the AFL since.
Honestly, I would love him as well.

I think Geelong's midfield is keeping him out and it's too hard for them to find another spot for him (a bit like how the Hawks forced Kennedy into being a forward).

I think Geelong would fight to keep him, but I hope the prospect of senior games can entice him to the red and white.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
These are Constable's stats for the 2019 season

and realistically he only had 1 bad game in that group of 9 games, that being the game he was dropped and has not played in the AFL since.
I think he was even injured that low disposal game from memory.

His 16 v gws was also mainly due to him not being able to get on the ground as there was a long spell in the last qtr with no goals and all the play on the far side.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
No hope on Hately going to SA. They will retain Caldwell even though I’d love it. I’d prefer him over Constable. I haven’t seen enough of O’Hallaran.

I really like Caldwell but I'm surprised you want him so much, in fact you said not long ago hed be the 2nd best midfielder in our team if he played at Sydney, yet he has a kicking efficiency of 56%, you must have at least 50 posts in the last month going on about how you want players who can kick.

IMO what we really lack are smart/natural footballers. A lot of our players (young and old) look like deers in headlights when under pressure or in the thick of the contest. A few who I won't name are serial offenders in this regard.

There aren't a lot of Swans who look composed in traffic, who don't resort to hack kicks, who don't give out hospital handballs, who know how to get themselves in the right places, who know how to get the ball to the right places, who know how to tackle, who know how to read the play, who take the right options.

Things like that are surprisingly uncommon in AFL. They can even compensate for what a player can't bring physically, or skills-wise. They're attributes that I feel have got lost in the way the game has become about athleticism and pressure, and yet the team that wins the flag every year always seems to be the one that has the most of these types.

I really like Caldwell but I'm surprised you want him so much, in fact you said not long ago hed be the 2nd best midfielder in our team if he played at Sydney, yet he has a kicking efficiency of 56%, you must have at least 50 posts in the last month going on about how you want players who can kick.

He’d be a Point of Difference mid, genuine line breaking mid that’s why I’d want him not so much his kicking so to speak although he’s not a bad kick anyway

IMO what we really lack are smart/natural footballers. A lot of our players (young and old) look like deers in headlights when under pressure or in the thick of the contest. A few who I won't name are serial offenders in this regard.

There aren't a lot of Swans who look composed in traffic, who don't resort to hack kicks, who don't give out hospital handballs, who know how to get themselves in the right places, who know how to get the ball to the right places, who know how to tackle, who know how to read the play, who take the right options.

Things like that are surprisingly uncommon in AFL. They can even compensate for what a player can't bring physically, or skills-wise. They're attributes that I feel have got lost in the way the game has become about athleticism and pressure, and yet the team that wins the flag every year always seems to be the one that has the most of these types.
They don't draft footballers anymore. They draft athletes who can run all day because dickheads think "fatigue" is what makes the game better

They don't draft footballers anymore. They draft athletes who can run all day because dickheads think "fatigue" is what makes the game better

Exhibit A - Ryan Clarke

Can't kick a football

Can't handpass a football

And we're supposed to believe he was the 31st best young footballer in the country in 2015

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

I find it SO annoying when people on the main board advocate fewer interchange players or something like that. They think it will create more fatigue and open up the game but all it will do is force AFL clubs to draft endurance athletes who are not as skilled, but can run a lot longer.

I find it SO annoying when people on the main board advocate fewer interchange players or something like that. They think it will create more fatigue and open up the game but all it will do is force AFL clubs to draft endurance athletes who are not as skilled, but can run a lot longer.
I know when I am tired after doing 10 hours of my 12 hour shift that those last 2 hours are my efficient and the hour drive home I do, I am feeling so fresh!

******* dumbasses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Skills don't seem to be the #1 priority anymore. Such an example is the Melbourne vs Richmond game on Sunday afternoon. Oliver (a hyped up prospect), butchers it in the centre resulting in a goal. Seems like its reliant on teams making mistakes through the corridor....

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Skills don't seem to be the #1 priority anymore. Such an example is the Melbourne vs Richmond game on Sunday afternoon. Oliver (a hyped up prospect), butchers it in the centre resulting in a goal. Seems like its reliant on teams making mistakes through the corridor....

I genuinely wonder what a team would be like if the recruiters said "skills are our only priority" so they don't take into account anything like height, weight, endurance, speed, ability to tackle, ability to break a tackle, anything like that, they only took into account decision making and kicking ability.

I wonder what a team recruited like that would be like. Would it be a really good team, or would we have a team full of Gary Rohan's who was an excellent kick and decision maker when he had the ball but was useless at finding the ball.

I genuinely wonder what a team would be like if the recruiters said "skills are our only priority" so they don't take into account anything like height, weight, endurance, speed, ability to tackle, ability to break a tackle, anything like that, they only took into account decision making and kicking ability.

I wonder what a team recruited like that would be like. Would it be a really good team, or would we have a team full of Gary Rohan's who was an excellent kick and decision maker when he had the ball but was useless at finding the ball.
Different positions require different skills though. I'd rather my key backs be OK kicks within 30m but excellent at body positioning, reading the ball and marking. My winger doesn't need to mark the ball as well but speed and great kicking.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Different positions require different skills though. I'd rather my key backs be OK kicks within 30m but excellent at body positioning, reading the ball and marking. My winger doesn't need to mark the ball as well but speed and great kicking.

True but it is still an interesting prospect to consider, thinking about what a team would be like if when recruiting the recruiters only looked at their ability to kick the ball and decision making when kicking a ball. I wonder how the team would go, considering that like you said different positions require different skill sets. For instance, if we had a defence with elite kicking and decision making ability would that make up for them being slightly shitty defenders?

True but it is still an interesting prospect to consider, thinking about what a team would be like if when recruiting the recruiters only looked at their ability to kick the ball and decision making when kicking a ball. I wonder how the team would go, considering that like you said different positions require different skill sets. For instance, if we had a defence with elite kicking and decision making ability would that make up for them being slightly shitty defenders?
If they only looked at foot skills, I'd suspect that defense would want to hope the opposition are bad set shots because I expect a lot of inside 50s would be marked. BUT going coast to coast would be easier

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If they only looked at foot skills, I'd suspect that defense would want to hope the opposition are bad set shots because I expect a lot of inside 50s would be marked. BUT going coast to coast would be easier

I almost want to make a team based on the best kicking efficiency of every position in the AFL, see what the team looked like at least on paper.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I almost want to make a team based on the best kicking efficiency of every position in the AFL, see what the team looked like at least on paper.

Here is the ranking for this season so far. Plenty of options for key defenders, less for A Grade midfielders and forwards.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Too much is made of our foot skills. Our decision making in general is poor. The team just cracks under pressure
I tend to agree with this.
A pin point pass is amazing but really hard and high risk. A decent kick to the correct position can be just as effective (see ronkes kick to heeney that resulted in a goal against wc) and is often lower risk.

Smarter disposals would make a world of difference

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I tend to agree with this.
A pin point pass is amazing but really hard and high risk. A decent kick to the correct position can be just as effective (see ronkes kick to heeney that resulted in a goal against wc) and is often lower risk.

Smarter disposals would make a world of difference
Papley took a mark against the Eagles and it really irked me. Papley did amazingly and took on 3 players to win it but why are we even kicking to our shortest player who was 3-on-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back