List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do seem the type that does not give a sh*t about the Covid

The opposite. I have a public health background and fully support the restrictions..

My poorly expressed point was that when the Club was laying off staff, I would not have been laying off the gun recruiter.

Ronke was in the side for his tackling & pressure. His 7 & 5 goal hauls were flukes

He was okay in the games he played this season too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have gone to the draft repeatedly since 2014 and built a young core that now more than ever is lacking experience in the 24 to 28 year age bracket to lead the way (but we will start to see the first of this group to enter this bracket from next year). We have traded in only four players in that time (Sinclair, Clarke, Thurlow and Lewis Taylor at the cost of Lewis Jetta, Pick 61, Pick 70 and Pick 48 respectively) to limited success. To wait two more years to address our key weaknesses and age imbalance for the sake of "hitting the draft" is going to waste the work that has already been done if not addressed correctly as we can't go two years without improving our ruck position nor planning for the future in the forward line.

That being said this year with list sizes likely to be cut and our list already nearly full and having the option to select two academy players. I don't see us using picks in the late rounds again to target players at other clubs and that would logically leave Pick 4 (which more than likely would be pick 6 come draft night once bids on draft night for other academy players and free agency compensation picks are factored in) as an option to split for the right player/s.

I just don't think those players are out there in this current market.
I agree 100% that we need a ruck but as the saying goes "we can't have our cake and eat it too". Most people feel it would be silly to pass on a talent such as Phillips meaning we use our pick 4 for him. If we are to take both Campbell and Gulden we will more than like go into a deficit in 2021. I can live with that as it would mean our first pick (using my crystal ball here) would go from around 6 to 11.
Issue is - from where are we going to get the ruck that we so desperately need? Maybe, we just ask Melbourne that we would be happy to take Preuss of their hands saving them what they are currently paying him. Don't think that would work.
This is probably why I'm suggesting it may be 2021 trade period before we can snag a ruck.

I agree 100% that we need a ruck but as the saying goes "we can't have our cake and eat it too". Most people feel it would be silly to pass on a talent such as Phillips meaning we use our pick 4 for him. If we are to take both Campbell and Gulden we will more than like go into a deficit in 2021. I can live with that as it would mean our first pick (using my crystal ball here) would go from around 6 to 11.
Issue is - from where are we going to get the ruck that we so desperately need? Maybe, we just ask Melbourne that we would be happy to take Preuss of their hands saving them what they are currently paying him. Don't think that would work.
This is probably why I'm suggesting it may be 2021 trade period before we can snag a ruck.

With list cuts potentially in the pipeline that may see clubs with excess rucks cut one from their list, so that might open up an opportunity for us.

Say Richmond might give up Chol (just an example) and 2020 pick 53 for our 2021 2nd round pick. This gives us an extra 233 points this year (based on a static draft).

Not sure if that’s a fair trade just spit balling.

It really shouldn't be hard to find a ruck. It can't be stressed enough how low our bar is. I'd love one who could tap like Gawn, rove like Naitanui and mark around the ground like Grundy. But at the end of the day all we need is a ruck who can be competitive and make things just that little bit tougher for opposition rucks.

Phillips will

Maybe not. Hasn't played all year while the key position players - Thilthorpe, McDonald, DGB - have been. It gives Phillips a much smaller window to impress. Granted the body of work he had put together before COVID was still more than enough to convince me he's the best prospect, but that is me, someone who rates him very very highly. All it takes is a few recruiters to decide that one of the key position players is better, or more suited to their needs, and they'll be taken before Phillips.

It really shouldn't be hard to find a ruck. It can't be stressed enough how low our bar is. I'd love one who could tap like Gawn, rove like Naitanui and mark around the ground like Grundy. But at the end of the day all we need is a ruck who can be competitive and make things just that little bit tougher for opposition rucks.
This is my thought. Right now it feels like our stock is:
-Naismith (perennially injured)
-Sinclair (Appears on his last leg)

Would be keen to just get 3 mature rucks from the state leagues and pray 1 works out.

Scott Jones, Jeremy Goddard, both raking good numbers in the WAFL. Andre Parrella averaging 37 hitouts in the SANFL and is 22 years young

At worst they perform the same as what we've currently got, right?

Exactly.

See Pyke, M for proof of theory.

Maybe not. Hasn't played all year while the key position players - Thilthorpe, McDonald, DGB - have been. It gives Phillips a much smaller window to impress. Granted the body of work he had put together before COVID was still more than enough to convince me he's the best prospect, but that is me, someone who rates him very very highly. All it takes is a few recruiters to decide that one of the key position players is better, or more suited to their needs, and they'll be taken before Phillips.

Hollands has his injury, Phillips is probably the surest thing aside from possibly McDonald

This is my thought. Right now it feels like our stock is:
-Naismith (perennially injured)
-Sinclair (Appears on his last leg)

Would be keen to just get 3 mature rucks from the state leagues and pray 1 works out.

Scott Jones, Jeremy Goddard, both raking good numbers in the WAFL. Andre Parrella averaging 37 hitouts in the SANFL and is 22 years young

At worst they perform the same as what we've currently got, right?
We also have Knoll. He was just like these guys you mention, tearing it up in a minor league (in the SANFL, from memory). Do we do it again, or just stick with him for a bit longer and see if he can make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back