List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True still need to find a way to improve every season even if its little steps, otherwise forget about attracting FA.
We have a few years before we will be wanted to attract the best free agents. We need a midfield that is more experienced before we splash out for gun recruits. Our midfield needs time to develop and gel together. No point expecting us to land big fish this year or next. We are still laying the foundations. We are like a Hawthorn in 2004. A Richmond 6 years ago. I like the way our list is being filled with quality younsters. I like the development of guys like Rowbottom, McInerney, Blakey etc. The Addition of Pick 3 plus Gulden and Campbell will increase the class we need. I'm excited for the next few years. But we are not signin big name recruits yet. Our time is not now.

Not forgetting he was pretty much a spud before the injuries.
Didn't look anywhere near being a good player from the limited viewing I got.
Just overpowered the kids in the youth ranks maybe.
Probably would have made an awesome player in the 80s.
34 goals in 35 games is hardly spud like. Throw in playing in a bottom 4 team where the delivery of the ball would have been average. No doubt he dominated juniors which would have led to his number 1 draft pick.

We're a picky bunch here. I'm not saying I'm not picky either, but we really are in a take what you can get position, and if Hogan is what we can get he's better than nothing imo.

Also Horse is someone who prides him self on how he deals with a players mental health. We were able to help Buddy through 2015, and even let him bow out of the finals.

We have a few years before we will be wanted to attract the best free agents. We need a midfield that is more experienced before we splash out for gun recruits. Our midfield needs time to develop and gel together. No point expecting us to land big fish this year or next. We are still laying the foundations. We are like a Hawthorn in 2004. A Richmond 6 years ago. I like the way our list is being filled with quality younsters. I like the development of guys like Rowbottom, McInerney, Blakey etc. The Addition of Pick 3 plus Gulden and Campbell will increase the class we need. I'm excited for the next few years. But we are not signin big name recruits yet. Our time is not now.

Brisbane traded for Neale in 2018 they finished 15th with 5 wins, he has been a massive contributor to their rise.

Putting all your eggs in the draft is a recipe for disaster

Essendon problems are all self inflicted will take another decade to recover from the drug saga.
trading two picks for a midfielder. They won the trade period but lost the war. Went too early. Should have gone to the draft instead. Pressure to get their team contending led them to make the wrong trade/draft decision. Its impacting them now where they have experienced players but they are not contending. Stuck in No mans land.

6PR (Kim Hagdorn) stated its because their former (sacked) list manager completely cocked things up - they now have a bunch of their better players on back-end loaded deals, plus a need to re-sign their star youngsters …. all of which is leading to a huge salary cap crunch at the end of 2021. Hogan needs to go to free up space.

Hagdorn has about a 50% hit rate.
50%? Hahaha! Try about a 0.5% success rate.

I'm not here to say "pay overs for Hogan" or suggest any silly trade scenarios, but wowee, you couldn't be more wrong with your Hackdorn comment mate

50%? Hahaha! Try about a 0.5% success rate.

I'm not here to say "pay overs for Hogan" or suggest any silly trade scenarios, but wowee, you couldn't be more wrong with your Hackdorn comment mate
Mike (from the look of his avatar) looks like a discerning character. Has his eye on something. Maybe he knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

trading two picks for a midfielder. They won the trade period but lost the war. Went too early. Should have gone to the draft instead. Pressure to get their team contending led them to make the wrong trade/draft decision. Its impacting them now where they have experienced players but they are not contending. Stuck in No mans land.

True they did overpay for Shiel its still been a good get for them, they have much larger issues than slightly overpaying for Shiel.

They really ****ed up not trading Daniher those picks would of been priceless for them right now.

Firstly, Cameron did his time at GWS and deserves to go where he chooses given the current system.

One aspect of the free agency is it is doing what was predicted. Free agency is taking the best from the worst who want success. It's what players wanted and the administration was not strong enough to override it. GWS will be fine, because of the concessions they receive first-round picks as compensations for almost every player lost. It's a win-win for them.

Academies are working for us NOW. We had a long period where academy prospects were very few and far between. Now that the hard work with the academy is reaping rewards, lazy Vic clubs want a piece of it, they get their contrived NGA's then let their greed stuff that system up for themselves. The loss of Cola is a big deal for us as it seems on the surface we do not have the level of 3rd part endorsements on offer as compared to Vic clubs.

If salaries are not published, the league should at least publish all 3rd party deals so the integrity of clubs claiming every player is taking less can be tested.

The AFL is so compromised by its own doing it is not even funny. Maybe a breakaway league of all the interstate clubs would not be a far fetched stretch.
Eddie will do away with this bonus for us.

True they did overpay for Shiel its still been a good get for them, they have much larger issues than slightly overpaying for Shiel.

They really f’ed up not trading Daniher those picks would of been priceless for them right now.
I don't think we would have done it anyway. Just a media beatup. Our list managers are smarter than that.

True Free Agency could possibly be but the AFLPA will never allow it.

- All OOC players are Free Agents, can sign with whoever. No trade required. No compo pick
- All contracted players can be traded without consent

That is true free agency. And it'll never happen so instead we have this half assed measure that makes the top sides have more success for longer.

Free Agency came in at the end of 2012 so we have had: Hawks (x3), Bulldogs, Richmond (x2) and WCE win flags. WCE were in a GF during that time, Sydney have been in 2. Geelong have been top 4 for a bunch of that time. GWS was up there for ages as well.
In your scenario, the top clubs would remain so forever.

Mike (from the look of his avatar) looks like a discerning character. Has his eye on something. Maybe he knows.
He knows that Freo paid massive overs to bring in Hogan and now want to ship him off.

2nd worst trade in recent memory (behind Norf's Polec debarcle).

It can't be easy supporting Freo.

All players available at pick who are highly touted fit a need.

Phillips - inside mid
Thilthorpe - KPF/Ruck
McDonald - KPF
Hollands - mid/fwd
DGB - KPD/3rd tall

All of the above fit a need and would not be unhappy with any of them
This forum has discussed the 5 listed above, and only these 5, as to who we will choose as pick 3 in the upcoming draft. If the Swans continue with their history of first choices, it will end up being none of these 5.

He knows that Freo paid massive overs to bring in Hogan and now want to ship him off.

2nd worst trade in recent memory (behind Norf's Polec debarcle).

It can't be easy supporting Freo.
Very mature response. I literally corrected you, stated I'm not here to troll, didn't take a shot at your club, yet this is your classy response.

Here's the guy you claim to have 50% success rate:

Early this year - Hogan will never play again
Justin Longmuir won't coach Freo
Peter Sumich is a lock at Freo
Hogan won't join Freo, 100%

Might get both dickheads degoey and hogan
I'd be happy with that. At the end of the day I want to see my team win premierships. Those two varstly improve our football club on field

In your scenario, the top clubs would remain so forever.
To even up the competition they need to change the draft so that the best players go to the bottom clubs.
If for example, all the top picks first round go to the bottom 12 clubs.
So 1-12 based on ladder in reverse order. Then 13-26 based on reverse order. Then the top eight get the next 8 rounds. Then it reverts to whats we have now.
I think for true equalisation, in a convoluted, biased AFL draft, the bottom clubs need to get priority access to the first 2 rounds. It would clubs equalize quicker

Very mature response. I literally corrected you, stated I'm not here to troll, didn't take a shot at your club, yet this is your classy response.

Here's the guy you claim to have 50% success rate:

Early this year - Hogan will never play again
Justin Longmuir won't coach Freo
Peter Sumich is a lock at Freo
Hogan won't join Freo, 100%
Why you coming in here with FACTS and LOGIC, if you aren't spouting nonsense that supports our world view then GTFOWTHIHL

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back