Not open for further replies.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
You may be right
I may be crazy
I do wish there was a very clear and simple statement of the rules we can work from.
Minimum List size: 37
Maximum List size: 44

Minimum Senior list size: 36
Maximum Senior List size: 38

Maximum Category A Rookies: 6
Maximum Category B Rookies: 2

Currently the list looks like:

Total List: 39
Senior List: 34 (assuming that Amartey is on the senior list, also includes Elijah Taylor)
Rookie A: 3 (Gray, Fox, McLean)
Rookie B: 2 (Wicks and O'Connor)

Expected additions:
3 draft picks on to the Senior List (Pick 3, Campbell and Gulden)

That brings the total number to 42, with 37 of them on the Senior List. That means we would have reached the minimum requirements for list size and any selections or DFA signings from this point are optional.

We could select one more Senior List player and one Category A rookie or two more Category A rookies if we go to the maximum.

It Elijah Taylor is removed from the Senior List we would still be at the minimum number of senior listed players, so that would open up an additional Senior List or Category A selection to replace him.

Last edited:

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Really wondering when/if they’ll announce Paddy? I know he’s not a gun but I really think he’s what we need for some forward depth. As much as I love Buddy I’d be surprised if he plays more than 2/3 games next year and that’s pushing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Any chance we could upgrade pick 3? Getting adelaides pick 1 would be a stretch purely from a marketing point of view but on field it makes sense. At our 3 they in all likelyhood would still land their number 1 target and get a future first from us.

Same as norf. I know it’s overs but would they take a future first for a 1 pick downgrade? Even pick 2 would nearly guarantee us mcdonald

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Really wondering when/if they’ll announce Paddy? I know he’s not a gun but I really think he’s what we need for some forward depth. As much as I love Buddy I’d be surprised if he plays more than 2/3 games next year and that’s pushing it.

It probably depends on our draft.

If Logan McDonald falls to us at three, then we might see Paddy McCartin as a necessary addition.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Any chance we could upgrade pick 3? Getting adelaides pick 1 would be a stretch purely from a marketing point of view but on field it makes sense. At our 3 they in all likelyhood would still land their number 1 target and get a future first from us.

Same as norf. I know it’s overs but would they take a future first for a 1 pick downgrade? Even pick 2 would nearly guarantee us mcdonald
You think Logan McDonald is worth two first round picks, one of them Pick 3 and the other most likely a top 10 pick?

We are better off having Pick 3 and our first round pick next year. McDonald could still fall to us at pick 3.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
You think Logan McDonald is worth two first round picks, one of them Pick 3 and the other most likely a top 10 pick?

We are better off having Pick 3 and our first round pick next year. McDonald could still fall to us at pick 3.
May not require a first, could be a second. If there was ever a time to go all in on a draft it’s now. We are desperate for a key forward

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
This appear to be where we are at pre draft.

I have put 3 draft picks on the list as we will probably draft 3. Who exactly they will be will be determined on draft night.

With Fox and Gray now on the Rookie List it takes our list total to 42.
We can have a maximum list size of 44. So it will be probably 2 more rookies.

We still have the wild card E Taylor who is due to be sentenced on 6-dec I believe. Unsure what that means for our list. Is he kept or paid out. Who knows.

View attachment 1019350
Thanks for this Bear, nice and clear. I would have probably had just Pick 3 where you have Phillips as that's still unknown.

You may be right
I may be crazy
I do wish there was a very clear and simple statement of the rules we can work from.
But it just maybe a lunatic we're looking for...

Perfect for this board! LOL!!! :p

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
so after 3 x draft picks - p3, Campbell and Gulden.. Theres room for 2 x rookies
how about P McCartin
and one of our academy rucks?

So apparently the Phillips family are very confident he will be in Victoria next year. Clubs wouldn't have given a commitment to any players (besides perhaps academy/NGA/father-son prospects), so if Phillips is under that impression 2 weeks out from the draft, it would suggest there hasn't been any real interest from the interstate clubs in his range (Swans, Crows, Suns.)

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
So apparently the Phillips family are very confident he will be in Victoria next year. Clubs wouldn't have given a commitment to any players (besides perhaps academy/NGA/father-son prospects), so if Phillips is under that impression 2 weeks out from the draft, it would suggest there hasn't been any real interest from the interstate clubs in his range (Swans, Crows, Suns.)
Maybe he's tanking interviews deliberately? Always rumours about kids trying to force their way into their home state

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
In a recent interview, Phillips was talking about how he went to the same school as Clarkson's daughter and would prefer to stay in Melbourne.

Edit, it was actually an interview on 1116 SEN.

Question: Do you have any inkling where you think you might go or is it so hard to predict?
Phillips: It is so hard to predict. I am really fortunate I am in a position where I can sort of look at where I am going to go. Obviously no guarantees. There is nothing set in stone till my name is called out. I would like to probably stay in Melbourne but there is no hints at that and I would be grateful just to go anywhere.

Last edited:

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Swan Districts defender Denver Grainger-Barras responds to Sydney Swans link

Jordan McArdle
The West Australian

Boom WA draft prospect Denver Grainger-Barras can “definitely” see himself slotting in seamlessly at Sydney if he’s snapped up with pick three, but would be grateful for an opportunity anywhere.

The Swan Districts intercept-marking machine has been linked with the Swans’ top pick since season’s end, with veteran recruiter Matt Rendell predicting the club will swoop on him.

Grainger-Barras, who models his game on champion defenders Alex Rance and Jeremy McGovern, is seen as a potential replacement for Port Adelaide-bound Aliir Aliir in Sydney’s back-six.

“I’d be grateful for any opportunity but I feel like Sydney is an amazing club that I could definitely see myself slotting in fairly seamlessly,” Grainger-Barras told The West Australian.

“If Sydney were to give me an opportunity, I’d be extremely grateful and you can guarantee that I’d dive into that experience head first really.

“In terms of whether I go pick three, four, five, six or anything lower, it doesn’t really matter to me.

“I think the important thing is that you get given the opportunity and regardless of what pick you are, you’re going to put the exact same amount of attention and effort into it.”

Grainger-Barras has been in the top-five draft mix since his stunning national under-18s carnival as a bottom-ager, where he helped WA to their first title in a decade.

The 18-year-old was rewarded with a league debut at the Swans soon after before he sustained a season-ending shoulder injury.

The 194cm talent bounced back this year to play every game in the seniors, something he feels will hold him on good stead for his goal of playing AFL in his debut season in 2021.

“I feel like I need to put on a lot more weight to be able to hold up against a lot of today’s AFL forwards,” Grainger-Barras said.

“But a massive goal of mine would be to debut next year and to then hold my spot. Getting there is one thing, but to stay there is the other part.

“I’ve definitely got challenges and goals that I want achieve but playing senior footy this year for Swan Districts has helped me in terms of the physicality and understanding the areas of my game in order to hold up at the highest level.”

Grainger-Barras has loved the experienced of meeting with AFL recruiters, with nearly every one of the league’s 18 clubs getting in touch.

Hawthorn premiership mastermind Alastair Clarkson and Carlton coach David Teague are among the senior coaches to have jumped on the Zoom calls, likewise with new Sydney assistant Don Pyke.

David Teague was a ripper of a bloke, he even passed on his number just in case I wanted to pester him a little bit more but I haven’t had the balls to call him yet,” Grainger-Barras said.

“I also met Don Pyke who’s going to be at Sydney as an assistant coach, he was previously at Adelaide so I was asking him about the challenges he faced there.

“I use all these little opportunities to gain as much knowledge as I can, I find it extremely rewarding.”

Go get him Swans!
My pick from the start. Less chance of go home factor as a WA boy compared to the Vic kids that will just run after their second contract.
We will only have to deal with 2 clubs pestering him to go home as opposed to 10 clubs with the highly rated Vic boys. He also will have to deal with the long trips every second week as a WA team player. As he said, he will slot in beautifully & is almost ready to go. It also makes sense as to why we moved Aliir on.
My hard earned is on us taking DGB with our first pick.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
This appear to be where we are at pre draft.

I have put 3 draft picks on the list as we will probably draft 3. Who exactly they will be will be determined on draft night.

With Fox and Gray now on the Rookie List it takes our list total to 42.
We can have a maximum list size of 44. So it will be probably 2 more rookies.

We still have the wild card E Taylor who is due to be sentenced on 6-dec I believe. Unsure what that means for our list. Is he kept or paid out. Who knows.

View attachment 1019350
Love your table Bear!

It's Juuussst right!

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

750/500K per game!
VALUE!
I think you are being generous with your expectations.

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sometimes it takes a while for defenders to be ready and strong enough to mark opposition tall forwards. So I wonder what their plans would be for DGB and what his role would be.

I would have Brand/McCartin (mark biggest key forward), Rampe and Melican/Fox filling the three tall defenders role. I don't know whether DGB would be physically ready to play the Melican/Fox role or be a backup for Rampe.

Alternatively they could have him on the bench and play partially back and forward.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Thanks for this Bear, nice and clear. I would have probably had just Pick 3 where you have Phillips as that's still unknown.

Attachments

• Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back