List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mccartin stays in defence for me , just to good there

Brand won't get a game
Haven't seen enough of Brand to make too strong a judgement, but see him as depth. 2022 DGB will take over from him if not before.
Rampe, Melican (who I rate highly), Lloyd, Mills, McCartin, Cunningham, Dawson is a pretty solid back 7.
then theres Ling, Gould, DGB?, O'Connor (could be something special),,, ORiodan, Brand, Fox
Defence is well sorted for the next 5-10 years.

Sometimes it takes a while for defenders to be ready and strong enough to mark opposition tall forwards. So I wonder what their plans would be for DGB and what his role would be.

I would have Brand/McCartin (mark biggest key forward), Rampe and Melican/Fox filling the three tall defenders role. I don't know whether DGB would be physically ready to play the Melican/Fox role or be a backup for Rampe.

Alternatively they could have him on the bench and play partially back and forward.
He looks mobile enough to play HBF on a medium forward.
The big question IMO is how we structure our back 7 (including an interchange). Do we vary it for different opponents?
Let's take Richmond. I think we have three to take Riewoldt (Rampe, McCartin, Mills) but who takes Lynch. My money would be on Brand or McCartin, leaving Rampe to go loose with Mills on Riewoldt. NOW for the big one - who's on Martin? Midfield/forward. Tag? Probably too strong for Clarke. I'm guessing Hewett, being strong enough and probably a bigger tank.
With Lloyd and Cunningham there are not a lot more spots. Gould yet to debut. Fox, COR.
If we take DGB who does he replace and when?
Not saying we shouldn't take him but he might not play seniors for a while.

Haven't seen enough of Brand to make too strong a judgement, but see him as depth. 2022 DGB will take over from him if not before.
Rampe, Melican (who I rate highly), Lloyd, Mills, McCartin, Cunningham, Dawson is a pretty solid back 7.
then theres Ling, Gould, DGB?, O'Connor (could be something special),,, ORiodan, Brand, Fox
I would love to see Dawson playing further forward delivering inside 50. Decent mark too. Can always drop back a la Reid if needed during a game.

A ‘left field’ suggestion for a possible Rookie spot could be ex-Swans Academy defender, Luke Parks. He went down to Glenelg last season, played every game in the firsts, got most marks and contested marks for the club, came fourth in the B&F and 39th in the SANFL top 50 players. A few clubs were looking at him last year in his draft year and may be looking at him again this year.

Last edited:
He looks mobile enough to play HBF on a medium forward.
The big question IMO is how we structure our back 7 (including an interchange). Do we vary it for different opponents?
Let's take Richmond. I think we have three to take Riewoldt (Rampe, McCartin, Mills) but who takes Lynch. My money would be on Brand or McCartin, leaving Rampe to go loose with Mills on Riewoldt. NOW for the big one - who's on Martin? Midfield/forward. Tag? Probably too strong for Clarke. I'm guessing Hewett, being strong enough and probably a bigger tank.
With Lloyd and Cunningham there are not a lot more spots. Gould yet to debut. Fox, COR.
If we take DGB who does he replace and when?
Not saying we shouldn't take him but he might not play seniors for a while.

I think our current defensive unit is 2 tall defenders, Rampe, Lloyd, Mills, Dawson and Cunningham.

If we drafted DGB, I think we would have him on the interchange bench. He could then play as the third tall defender, cover Dawson/Mills if we wanted to play them upfield and maybe offer unpredictability in attack as a marking forward.

With his physique I am not sure how he would handle being a lockdown defender on a mature AFL forward. Whether he would be easily outbodied in a one on one contest. We usually don't debut key defenders that early. But if he has the versatility to play a few roles off bench then he may be able to gradually adjust to AFL level.

I think the club would have an idea of the pathway into the senior team for whoever we get at pick 3. I don't think we can leave them in the reserves to develop for 2 years. I think we will try to get them involved early and settled into the first team squad.

Last edited:
I think our current defensive unit is 2 tall defenders, Rampe, Lloyd, Mills, Dawson and Cunningham.

If we drafted DGB, I think we would have him on the interchange bench. He could then play as the third tall defender, cover Dawson/Mills if we wanted to play them upfield and maybe offer unpredictability in attack as a marking forward.
Like any draftee not from the academy he would need to.learn our systems, patterns etc and get used to working with his teammates. This is super important for a defender as individual skill is only part of the story.
This, I think, is what has been happening with Gould, although I worry about his fitness.
My guess is that the ressies will have a very good defensive spine if DGB is drafted with he, Gould and O'Connor who seems to be doing well for a non-footy recruit.
COR as well!
If Fox is not playing seniors he would most likely be playing midfield.

who is going to get the ball out of the middle for us?
I agree. How many defenders do we need? Wouldn't be totally against DGB if it meant Mills (our last pick 3) moved to inside mid on a permanent basis, but that ship has sailed. DGB might be more like Dylan Grimes rather than key position, depends on how his body develops over time. Either way, whoever we get, we'll need to be patient

Which sounds worrying.

I think it’ll put a line through him for us.
Merely suggesting he would prefer to stay suggests to me (and other clubs!) that he would be up for the taking. The Vic clubs would be working on him from day one.

Would rather take someone at the top who isn’t susceptible to those pull factors.

who is going to get the ball out of the middle for us?

My hope is we get Phillips as the best inside mid in the draft. I feel having Phillips, Rowbottom and Hewett as inside mids balances our other mids like Florent, Blakey, Stephens, Mcinerney and Campbell.

But at this stage it feels like less likely.

I would rather focus on developing a core of young midfielders. Then worry about key position players later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merely suggesting he would prefer to stay suggests to me (and other clubs!) that he would be up for the taking. The Vic clubs would be working on him from day one.

Would rather take someone at the top who isn’t susceptible to those pull factors.

I think if we really wanted Phillips, we would still draft him and back ourselves to keep him.

I remember there were doubts when Brisbane drafted Mcluggage and Rayner and Gold Coast drafted Rankine, Luckocius and King. But they are still there.

Phillips comments surprised me because the two interstate clubs in his range are Gold Coast and us. If he gets to Gold Coast, he gets to reunite in a midfield unit with Rowell and Anderson. If he gets selected by us, it is a easy plane trip to Melbourne and I feel we are stable club with a good atmosphere compared to Melbourne clubs like North, Essendon and Collingwood. Having a lot of good young players emerging together would also be a selling point.

I think if we really wanted Phillips, we would still draft him and back ourselves to keep him.

I remember there were doubts when Brisbane drafted Mcluggage and Rayner and Gold Coast drafted Rankine, Luckocius and King. But they are still there.

Phillips comments surprised me because the two interstate clubs in his range are Gold Coast and us. If he gets to Gold Coast, he gets to reunite in a midfield unit with Rowell and Anderson. If he gets selected by us, it is a easy plane trip to Melbourne and I feel we are stable club with a good atmosphere compared to Melbourne clubs like North, Essendon and Collingwood. Having a lot of good young players emerging together would also be a selling point.
They are still in their first or second contract.
It's their 3rd contract that seems to be when they take off & just prior to their prime.

Maybe he's tanking interviews deliberately? Always rumours about kids trying to force their way into their home state

As I understand it he has done the opposite. His entire pitch to interstate clubs has been that he would love to move to state x and help lead them to success, with the key word being 'lead'. Hawthorn and Essendon have shown the most interest, but that doesn't mean he will get to them. It could be a case where ours, or Gold Coast's, preferred prospects are gone, and we end up taking Phillips. Who knows. But it could be indicative that we don't consider him the 'best available'.

Those quotes I believe were from well after the interviews had been completed. By this stage he would've known if there was strong interest from an interstate club. Sounds like he is doing his best pitch to the two clubs who have shown such interest. Not uncommon at this late stage of the draft. Kids start appealing to the clubs they have the best chance of ending up at.

On the flip side though Michael O'Loughlin was devastated that he was drafted to Sydney and he wanted to go home immediately.

so after 3 x draft picks - p3, Campbell and Gulden.. Theres room for 2 x rookies
how about P McCartin
and one of our academy rucks?

Those rucks didn't look like much in the "highlight" vid I saw. A couple of years of park footy to toughen them, broaden their skills would be the way to go IMO.

I hope after Gulden is picked (or not) we can trade picks somehow and pick up that ruck prospect Neale mentioned earlier with a pick in the low 30s.
Don't mess around, spend the pick, even if overs to get one of the better young prospects - and give him a year under the tutelage of Hickey and Sinkers plus a good bit of time in the VFL or whatever its called. He just might be cherry ripe when we need - and a clear path to number 1 ruck status.

So apparently the Phillips family are very confident he will be in Victoria next year. Clubs wouldn't have given a commitment to any players (besides perhaps academy/NGA/father-son prospects), so if Phillips is under that impression 2 weeks out from the draft, it would suggest there hasn't been any real interest from the interstate clubs in his range (Swans, Crows, Suns.)
Then again it might be the same smokescreen we used last year.

Dawson surely won't play back there anymore if we get DGB. Up to the wing or HF if I'm picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back