List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we would look back at it as a mistake if we traded out of the first round next year. Every chance we are picking at the pointy end again.

It's a shame, you can't put protections on picks like in the NBA.

Yeah I like the protections they have. I think we'd be getting pick 5 anyways this year so worth doing to accelerate a rebuild and not just plod along.
The way we played this year we could easily have been several spots higher on the ladder (We threw away 2 games in the latter stages IMO either intentionally or unusually poor last quarters). With an influx of quality like Phillips and DGB into the team combined with hopefully Buddy getting onfield I'd back us to not be under pick 5 at the very least.

I'd say we play finals if Budd stayed fit - but if he didn't we are really set up nicely with a miriad of high quality young players with a few years into them before we have $$ for a big name free agent to go for for the flag.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Gee it'd be good to see the club spend next year's pick on GC's pick so we can grab Phillips AND DGB (if that's who they are planning on).

Then I want them to spend next year's second on the ruck Neale after we take Gulden.

Accelerate the rebuild. Throw the chips on the table and go for it.

Phillips at 3

DGB at 5 If taken then grab Thillthorpe / Zac Reid

Campbell at 7-9

Gulden at over 23

Neale at 29 (Overs but GWS have so many picks they're most likely to give one up more so than any teams in the early 30s)

Don't have the list spots I guess, but would love to see it.

All well and good but I think you have forgotten something. List places. We only have room for 3 players on the Senior List. But we have Rookie Spots available. I think we might just Rookie another Academy boy. Barling looks a likely type.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
All well and good but I think you have forgotten something. List places. We only have room for 3 players on the Senior List. But we have Rookie Spots available. I think we might just Rookie another Academy boy. Barling looks a likely type.
We don't have to fill those two places with Rookies. Can be seniors if we want. Just don't get the 80k discount. 🤔

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

I think we have up to 4 senior list spots, one could be a rookie though. But I think we can take 4.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we have up to 4 senior list spots, one could be a rookie though. But I think we can take 4.
We currently have 34 senior listed players, and the maximum is 38 so you are right, we can take four draft picks (though Beatson did indicate we would only take 3... smoke and mirrors?).

Additionally, another senior list place can open up if Elijah Taylor is removed from the list.

I will be very disappointed if we take a defender with Pick 3. Our midfield is threadbare.

Think our midfield changes a fair bit next season.

Campbell and Gulden both add a different look to it (I personally think Gulden will predominantly be a mid), Stephens is going to develop further along with Rowbottom and potentially Blakey.

Hopefully Warner can become that inside type, but Stephens played predominantly inside as a junior so may only need to build on weight.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
We currently have 34 senior listed players, and the maximum is 38 so you are right, we can take four draft picks (though Beatson did indicate we would only take 3... smoke and mirrors?).

Additionally, another senior list place can open up if Elijah Taylor is removed from the list.

Well they deliberately sent Fox to the rookie list so we either want to run short (salary cap reason) of Max senior list or we plan to add another somewhere draft or DFA.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
McDonald seems to me like the closest thing to the AFL's version of Luka Doncic.

Playing against men and nearly winning the WAFL goalkicking at 18. Surely there is no chance both Adelaide and North pass on him.
Adelaide might prefer the local key forward prospect in Thilthorpe, and North could have a preference for a midfielder and go Hollands or Phillips. So... there is a chance. I don't think it is very high, but it exists.

Jimbo OZ

Team Captain
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Interestingly, if Logan McDonald was a Victorian and didn’t play this year, he may not have even been picked in the first round. Knightmare didn’t have him in the top 20.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Adelaide might prefer the local key forward prospect in Thilthorpe, and North could have a preference for a midfielder and go Hollands or Phillips. So... there is a chance. I don't think it is very high, but it exists.
Read somewhere his dad lives in Adelaide. Regularly visits
EDIT: Scratch that, bigfooty rumour. Article on him seems to imply all his family is in Perth

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
What about the bigger mid , can't remember his name, (Thorne?) but looks strong and likely type.

But then we need a bloody ruck, so It'd be good to have one of those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back