Status
Not open for further replies.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
We have major issues in nearly every position on the ground, except key defence (kind of) and winger/flankers who float in and out of the game without doing much (we have plenty of them).

DGB would have to be an absolute standout if we are going to take him over any of the other supposed top 5.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
All well and good but I think you have forgotten something. List places. We only have room for 3 players on the Senior List. But we have Rookie Spots available. I think we might just Rookie another Academy boy. Barling looks a likely type.
There are several boys better than Barling. We don’t need him as a smallish forward and he’s not good enough for the midfield.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
We don't have to fill those two places with Rookies. Can be seniors if we want. Just don't get the 80k discount. 🤔

The new list size says Senior lists must be between 36-38. No more. The rest are Cat A & B Rookies up to 44. That is 6 in all. We cannot take any more than 3 senior list picks as we only have 3 spots. We already have 35 and the most we can have is 38. Draftees go directly to the Senior list.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we have up to 4 senior list spots, one could be a rookie though. But I think we can take 4.

You're right I kept including Sam Wicks in the senior squad. but doesn't tom Hickey take one spot?

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
The new list size says Senior lists must be between 36-38. No more. The rest are Cat A & B Rookies up to 44. That is 6 in all. We cannot take any more than 3 senior list picks as we only have 3 spots. We already have 35 and the most we can have is 38. Draftees go directly to the Senior list.
We currently only have 34 senior list players. That's including Taylor.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
You're right I kept including Sam Wicks in the senior squad. but doesn't tom Hickey take one spot?

Yes but one in one out with Aliir.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
Because I think the idea that next years draft will be strong is in itself a risk. The top end talent from this draft will be gone and next years 18 year olds also missed a year of development this year so have no top age form to go off. Yes some will jump that didn’t have the chance to this year but you’re playing in ifs and buts. The 19 year olds normally get an extra year of development (VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc) but you don’t see that many taken that have suddenly made the leap.

And yes speed up the rebuild, get in the mid and tall we need from the top end of the draft.

From next year I’d also be hoping we are looking to the free agency pool to start adding the finishing pieces and I think we will largely be done with the draft regeneration (assuming we get the selections right).

A years worth of no football makes no difference to the quality and depth.

The AFL talent team and the recruiters have known for at least two years that this year was thin and what is quality is taller and that next year has depth and particularly midfield depth.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
A years worth of no football makes no difference to the quality and depth.

The AFL talent team and the recruiters have known for at least two years that this year was thin and what is quality is taller and that next year has depth and particularly midfield depth.

Those players have not received the kind of attention or opportunity for improvement that they would have had if this year had been a normal one, though. That will have stunted their projected development to some extent, you would think.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
What about the bigger mid , can't remember his name, (Thorne?) but looks strong and likely type.

But then we need a bloody ruck, so It'd be good to have one of those too.

Both the two academy rucks are raw and are not going to be drafted to an AFL list spot this year.

Will get a chance in our new reserves system and a chance for us to look at them again for another year playing against senior bodies.

Thorne is the only other academy player that is likely for the rookie draft for us.

Think our midfield changes a fair bit next season.

Campbell and Gulden both add a different look to it (I personally think Gulden will predominantly be a mid), Stephens is going to develop further along with Rowbottom and potentially Blakey.

Hopefully Warner can become that inside type, but Stephens played predominantly inside as a junior so may only need to build on weight.

Chances will be limited because jpk is incapable of playing anywhere else

Wheresbuddy

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
We have major issues in nearly every position on the ground, except key defence (kind of) and winger/flankers who float in and out of the game without doing much (we have plenty of them).

DGB would have to be an absolute standout if we are going to take him over any of the other supposed top 5.
If we take DGB it would be that we view McT as a tall forward.
Be interesting if McDonald and/or Thilthorpe are available at pick 3 along with DGB. Definitely take McDonald over DGB, on the fence if it's Thilthorpe.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If we take DGB it would be that we view McT as a tall forward.
Be interesting if McDonald and/or Thilthorpe are available at pick 3 along with DGB. Definitely take McDonald over DGB, on the fence if it's Thilthorpe.

I wonder if DGB could be a key forward. Apparently he has gone forward a few times and has been reasonably successful in doing so.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
A stat I would love to see, and I suppose I could work it out later is Lloyd's disposal numbers in games we win vs games we lose. I am willing to bet Lloyd gets lower disposals in the games we lose, and I never think we as a team have done well when I see Lloyd topping our disposal sheet like he does quite often. A defender should not be topping our disposal stats.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
A stat I would love to see, and I suppose I could work it out later is Lloyd's disposal numbers in games we win vs games we lose. I am willing to bet Lloyd gets lower disposals in the games we lose, and I never think we as a team have done well when I see Lloyd topping our disposal sheet like he does quite often. A defender should not be topping our disposal stats.
I reckon he would be better on a wing. He knows how to spread quickly and find space to receive the ball.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure that Lloyd is a defender in the traditional sense. More of a distributor. His importance is more on the way out than on the way in. He runs to space to give other defenders a target, then moves it on to the next target. Big tank and smart use of space.
He's not a very good one on one defender, but that's mostly not how we defend. He doesn't lack courage but does appear to lack upper body strength.
Be very interested to see if Pyke starts to change things up around our exits. This has a lot of possibility to reduce the number of rebounds and have us spend more time in the oppo half. Ditto restricting oppo exits.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Thinking about getting Denver Grainger-Barras. He would be a third tall with McCartin and Melican. Maybe this releases Rampe to be a rebounding defender. I have always wanted to see Rampe with the freedom to run the field. With his long kick I can see him getting long goals and causing havoc.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
His stats are deceptive. He does the majority of our kickins and 90% of the time will run on. Easily racks up 6-10 disposals from kickins a game

Wheresbuddy

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I wonder if DGB could be a key forward. Apparently he has gone forward a few times and has been reasonably successful in doing so.
Aaron Naughton has made a successful conversion forward. But it would make more sense for McT to continue his development as a KPF. His set shot has improved out of sight and he's always had good hands.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Aaron Naughton has made a successful conversion forward. But it would make more sense for McT to continue his development as a KPF. His set shot has improved out of sight and he's always had good hands.

The Gold Coast King twin did as well, and he looks very very promising as a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back