List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not privy to what recruiters do. I would be very surprised horrified in fact if go home factor isn’t assessed as part of process of selection

Perhaps.

But suddenly "I would prefer to live in my home state" = flight risk, and suddenly 'best available' isn't the only factor they're taking into consideration, and suddenly our culture isn't that great after all and we are susceptible to an exodus of players like GC and GWS.

Changes on a dime around here.

Perhaps.

But suddenly "I would prefer to live in my home state" = flight risk, and suddenly 'best available' isn't the only factor they're taking into consideration, and suddenly our culture isn't that great after all and we are susceptible to an exodus of players like GC and GWS.

So who are we taking with pick 3?

Perhaps.

Masey & I were on record last year saying we will take Stephens based on this principle. Who did you have us taking?

We did our due diligence on this kid & noted he was the least likely to want out based on go home factor as he was a Victorian boy boarding away from home so he was hardened at being away from home.

“If you told me two years ago that I’d be going Pick 5 to the Sydney Swans, I’d be there in a heartbeat. I’m happy as,” Stephens told Fox Footy.

So it's not BS mate. It's a thing. We make sure they aren't a Phillips sooky type.

Plus the worst thing you can do is to take a talented player and them wanting to leave in 2 years...do you really want to hear about how players want to go home every month especially when it's our highest pick in a decade!

Perhaps.

Not sure how it’s suddenly. Any draftee that stands up and says I’d prefer to play in x state, more than once, in an open draft where they don’t have a choice is projecting their wishes out to clubs that are not in my view, otherwise why say it? I’m going to prefer players who absolutely are dying for their opportunity and are willing to start their career wherever and don’t state otherwise.

Saying I’d prefer to stay here oh but of course I’ll go anyway is a red flag to me personally.

I’ve never thought “best available” means anything other than “best available FOR US”. For starters “best” is incredibly subjective, secondly it’s about what the player is projected to become, not what they are, and that player actually has to be considered to want to be in red and white for the duration of that projection or what’s the point.

Perhaps.

I expect it all goes into the mix. B Fevola might be the best available in the draft but his toolness (toolship?) makes him slide. We know the interviews are used in part to determine who is "best available" and to weed out the Fevs.

Flight risk is just another, albeit minor, consideration as to who is "best available". It may be sufficient to separate two equally impressive candidates.

I do wonder what happens if in the interview the player says "if you draft me I'll ask for a trade as soon as I can"? Has it ever happened?

I do wonder what happens if in the interview the player says "if you draft me I'll ask for a trade as soon as I can"? Has it ever happened?

Sort of similar!

As it turned out, Vickers’ gut feel was right. Chalmers was keen to play for Collingwood and the Pies were desperate to have him.
“We flew him over in 1990 or ’91 and he kept on developing and kept on getting better,” Vickers said.
“Through that period of three years that we had him we knew that Collingwood was blowing wind up his backside, which wasn’t in accordance of the rules.”
Just as Richmond was set to lose its hold on him — it lapsed after three years — it considered offloading him to the Pies, but the return offer was underwhelming and the miffed Tigers let him go into the national draft.
“Collingwood was just thinking that we would take anything because we weren’t going to get Brett Chalmers, but then we said we’re not going to be your doormat,” Vickers said.
“They didn’t play in the spirit of the rules.”
In the days before the draft Chalmers contacted each club picking ahead of Collingwood (who held pick 10) indicating that he would be staying with Port Adelaide for the coming season, but then would play only for the Pies.
Suitably spooked, clubs passed on Chalmers until Collingwood duly named him at pick 10.
Six months later, however, the AFL found him guilty of draft tampering, fined him a hefty $30,000 and banned him from playing for the Magpies for three years.

It's a long time ago but Anthony Rocca sooked for his two seasons at the Swans until he got what he wanted and was traded to Collingwood.

Recruiting staff would absolutely take into account the potential go home factor when recruiting. They would need to assess the wellbeing of the player and their level of maturity when moving states and adjusting to an elite sports regime.

I recall Buckley made no secret of the fact that he wanted to play for Collingwood, but perhaps he was not as egregious as Chalmers.
Still, a player can make it known in the interviews he doesn't want to play for a club.
For a start he could act like a prize git in the interview with one club, and be the model draftee with his preferred.

Hence this.

At least we had the decency to let them know.:tearsofjoy:

Beatson mentioned a while back that there is an unwritten code between clubs to telegraph their intentions if they are going to bid on a player to allow that club the opportunity to prepare themselves to obtain the necessary points required.

I have no doubt that other clubs have probably told us where they are intending to bid on Campbell and Gulden and our pick swapping is working towards those target amounts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how it’s suddenly. Any draftee that stands up and says I’d prefer to play in x state, more than once, in an open draft where they don’t have a choice is projecting their wishes out to clubs that are not in my view, otherwise why say it? I’m going to prefer players who absolutely are dying for their opportunity and are willing to start their career wherever and don’t state otherwise.

Saying I’d prefer to stay here oh but of course I’ll go anyway is a red flag to me personally.

I’ve never thought “best available” means anything other than “best available FOR US”. For starters “best” is incredibly subjective, secondly it’s about what the player is projected to become, not what they are, and that player actually has to be considered to want to be in red and white for the duration of that projection or what’s the point.
Well done making the top 10

It's not a red flag to me at all as it reads as nothing more than a sales pitch to me. There is a difference between having a preference for where you'd want to play - as all draftees would have - as opposed to being determined as to where you'd want to play. There have been kids in the past - like Bailey Smith - who did not entertain the notion of moving to interstate clubs during the interviews at all, all but ensuring no interstate club would take him.

As I understand it this is not the case with Phillips at all, who put forward his best case possible to ALL clubs, even Fremantle, an interstate club who don't even have their first pick until pick 12. He has also remained very open to the idea of moving interstate and has even mentioned in multiple interviews that he's received advice and mentoring from players he knows who have moved interstate.

He's giving himself the best chance possible at securing the best outcome possible for himself and his family. To assume that that makes him a homesick, disloyal flight risk five years down the track is just a gigantic leap in logic IMO.

In any case it's worth naught since I really do think it will be between Thilthorpe and DGB, though Twomey seemed to suggest we may have to choose between DGB and McDonald on the AFL site today, which suggests he's under the impression that Crows = Thilthorpe, North = Hollands.

I dunno why people are shocked to hear a draftee say he would prefer to stay in his home state.

Nearly every kid in the draft would prefer to stay in their home state if they answered the question honestly. That's where their mates are, that's where their family is ... why would they suddenly want to move interstate? They are 18.

It really isn't that big of a deal. Most of them get over it pretty quickly once they move.

Hope not as a lot of players that get shopped around tend to feel less valued (for obvious reasons) and leave on their own a season or two later.

Or they take it as a wake up call and be a part of history like Jude Bolton did

Depends if they are professional and determined enough to grow from it or wallow in it and move on.

I found this recent article regarding the 'off field' assessment of potential draftees to be interesting;

In particular John Turnbull when he speaks about using the AIS academy trips overseas and visits to the player's home to better assess their character (and potential go home factor) and the fact that Zoom interviews are not really an adequate substitute.

As a result of limitations in meeting potential draftees in person maybe a year to be just a little more wary of the go home/character factor, but equally a good year to have a couple of highly rated academy players.

That is why I'm on the Denver Granger-Barras bandwagon now. He says he wants to be the best player in the AFL. He also says he is happy to play anywhere. He fills a need. Plus a tall, very classy intercept defender is going to be hard to find every year. Very good inside mids are available every year.

That is why I'm on the Denver Granger-Barras bandwagon now. He says he wants to be the best player in the AFL. He also says he is happy to play anywhere. He fills a need. Plus a tall, very classy intercept defender is going to be hard to find every year. Very good inside mids are available every year.

and yet, we don't have a very good inside mid.

Luke Parker, your #1 inside mid for the foreseeable future, and 13th rated player in the AFL.

Rowbottom says hi. We are still building the list. I think we are 2-3 years in on rebuilding the list depending upon whose viewpoint you listen to.
Yes we need another young bull gun inside mid.
Centre bounces type mids include Kennedy, Parker, Heeney, Papley. Stephens is supposed to be able as well.
We are building still.
Its just that what do you prioritize at this draft with a very valuable pick.

We have a lot of mids and one poster I think Kiama Chris said he could not fit Florent into his best 22 next year. That sounds to me like we are building REAL depth in the midfield. Why bring in another VG mid this year. We have others on the side lines who need games.

We have deficiencies in other areas. RUCK, KPF, KPD. Yes we could do with more classy mids.

I think KPF is the greatest need. Buddy is 100 and Reid is tall. Bringing in McDonald would be ideal.

Down back we have Melican as our second tall. I like him but he is inconsistent. Also Rampe is 31 next year. He plays that interceptor role too. Imagine another classy tall down back (DGB) who we could groom to take over that 2nd tall and interceptor role so when Rampe retires the position is filled.

That's my thoughts.

It's a long time ago but Anthony Rocca sooked for his two seasons at the Swans until he got what he wanted and was traded to Collingwood.

Recruiting staff would absolutely take into account the potential go home factor when recruiting. They would need to assess the wellbeing of the player and their level of maturity when moving states and adjusting to an elite sports regime.

" I want to play with me Bruvva " :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back